My 100 now has a green side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have the solar panel roll out and cover the front wind shield while you are parked. That way you shade the largest window, have the solar panel at an angle and charge your battery all at the same time.

And if you put some Kevlar lining on the back, you could roll it down in hostile situations for a little extra protection. :D

-Spike

Man Phil when you said you had too much time on your hands you weren't kidding. Glad your mind has moved on to at least somewhat useful topics :grinpimp: Great idea by the way!!

:idea: You might just have somthin there....

I was thinking of doing something like that for a while on my cruiser. I eventually want an expedition type and having a 55/60 watt solar panel would definately help. :)

I was thinking of doing something like that for a while on my cruiser. I eventually want an expedition type and having a 55/60 watt solar panel would definately help. :)

55/60 was about the minumin size for me. A larger panel 100/120w would have been nice but you need to set a dollar and size limit somewhere.

I drive a 100...Im usually in front:flipoff2: and yes, on the trail Im way behind but nobody pisses on my tent:popcorn:

I think that there is a guy in Montana that could fix that provided there is plenty of Budwieser.

you should make it can power your C.B. just in case all else fails:flipoff2: ( a fridge i dont even have doors:flipoff2::flipoff2:)

you should make it can power your C.B. just in case all else fails:flipoff2: ( a fridge i dont even have doors:flipoff2::flipoff2:)

You dont need doors to get a frig just a Visa:D Plus a frig has its down side - the beer starts to get slushy around 28-29 degrees:flipoff2::beer:

The set-up worked well over the weekend. I decided to just leave things alone when I returned home and see what happens at the end of the day. So with the 100 parked south in the sun:doh: The frig was set to a comfortable beverage temp of 34* without an insulating blanket.

At 5 PM inside temp of the rear of the 100 was a warm 115.8*. Battery voltage was 12.15 volts. So it looks like I'm running a little behind on making power. I checked the spec on the amp load for the frig and I was wrong on what I previously said. The specs showed a max load of 4.3amp. The frig could probably run for a week without starting the 100.

The nipo starter requires less then 100amps with no load so my guess would be about 150amp loaded further speculation on my part would say that the 100 could start with a battery voltage around 10.5. So the system does work well but IMO but it is not perfect.
You want perfect spend more money...OK good enough for me:steer:

Phil, as long as the beer is cold and you can start the 100 you are good to go!

:beer:

Your 100 is cool!
Or at least your beer is! But then a 100 is not that much of a trail rig anyway. That's what they say. They say that about mine too.
My rolled over wreck is supposed to be a mall queen. I sprayed a thick coat of epoxy tractor paint on mine 4 years ago. It is supposed to be impregnable and not chip able. After four years, I have very few chips. But I have scraped off a lot of paint on the heavy brush that I find at the "mall". The "mall" is just a bit different here than in Scottsdale! My rolled over wreck is not much of a trail rig either! It just has much of the paint scraped off! I never "wheel" my truck. Yet it keeps wondering where its paint went! Maybe the Prescott Mall is in the area where all the brush and rocks are? After all, brush and rocks are closer to home for me than malls are for most city residents. I would rather go to a trail than to a mall when I have an hour to kill, and I can run a short trail and get back home in under an hour! It's fun!
Your photocell just reminds me too much of my rich clients at AAA. They would take off on a 6-week vacation, and hook up a photo-cell to the car. They would put it on the roof of the garage, and hook it to the battery. It worked well. They would call me to jump-start the other cars. But the one with the photo cell was ready to go for booze and ice cream as soon as they got home! People have to have priorities! Some things matter.
It matters to me that I can go run any one of many trails and be back home in under an hour. I can polish or paint the truck, I have done it before. Paint is just frosting. When it wears off, they'll make more!

Last edited:
I just have to wonder.
I have some solar systems on top of my house. They have never been used. They came with the hut. Should I put them on my truck?
Last time that I went to Vegas, I could only fit into two of the garages in town. Even in them, I had to open the roof and look at every beam that went overhead to check for clearance. I cannot fit in most of the parking garages at the airport in PHX. I barely fit in the parking garage in Prescott where I live.
I really miss the roof rack with lights that I had on my old Montero. But my LC is too tall as it is. It was nice to have lights to shine down into holes from on high at night. But my LC is too tall even without them. Now you want to put solar on the roof? You go! Good luck! Use gas power!

Last edited:
I just have to wonder.
I have some solar systems on top of my house. They have never been used. They came with the hut. Should I put them on my truck?
Last time that I went to Vegas, I could only fit into two of the garages in town. Even in them, I had to open the roof and look at every beam that went overhead to check for clearance. I cannot fit in most of the parking garages at the airport in PHX. I barely fit in the parking garage in Prescott where I live.
I really miss the roof rack with lights that I had on my old Montero. But my LC is too tall as it is. It was nice to have lights to shine down into holes from on high at night. But my LC is too tall even without them. Now you want to put solar on the roof? You go! Good luck! Use gas power!

What kind and how many panels are on your roof? If you dont want them I take all of them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom