Must have gear 2018 edition. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
What is on your list of must have gear for next year?

I really need/want a sleeping mat.

Probably a new multitool to replace my first gen Leatherman.

A four season tent would be nice seeing as how we can have all four seasons in one weekend in the Sierras.

I think I have just about everything I could ever need. For wants, I want to get a good 12v water heater, sort out my truck tool kit to carry everything I'd need and have it more organized, a proper stocked first aid kit, and a permanent 2m radio setup.

What is on your list of must have gear for next year?

I really need/want a sleeping mat.

Probably a new multitool to replace my first gen Leatherman.

A four season tent would be nice seeing as how we can have all four seasons in one weekend in the Sierras.

Better send your list up to Santa because you ain't getting any of this from me.

;)

A camping trailer. Preferably something old and neglected by the previous owner. Something I would need to spend time and money on just to restore to operational condition let alone modify to my own liking. Also a faster setup tent would be great.
We did that years ago with a 1957 "Canned Ham" it was a lot of fun for the whole family. We still miss that trailer, looking to replace it but the style is popular now and people want way to much for wrecks.

I just bought a nice North Face parka on sale. It is technically a "snow-board/ski" parka. I really needed a warm, wind-proof, WATER PROOF, cold weather jacket.

When I see a Smart Wool article of clothing, it is tough to resist buying it

I really need to get my Ham license and some equipment.

Really planning on converting all my socks to Darn Tough socks. I have a few pair and they are great.
I saw those while watching a youtube video by an Alone participant. Need to check them out.

I really need to get my Ham license and some equipment.
The tech test is a joke, no bad on you but any sixth grader could pass it with a few hours of study. If you watch for a local ham event you can find equipment cheap, I picked up an old ICOM 2M mobile for $25. Even new you can get some good gear for about the cost of a high end CB.

Cheap bastard!:flipoff2:

So what are you looking to add to your kit this year?

Believe it or not I can't really think of anything. For a reasonable cost that is. I'm hoping I'll see something here that I may have overlooked. .
I wouldn't mind a bumper or two but don't actually need them - unless my cross country wheeling trip becomes a reality next year. But this is big bucks and I do need to save money if I'm gonna gas up that beast from NY to CA and back plus offroad excursions in between. I'm thinking gas could be up to $3000!

If I get my slide-out kitchen finished and mounted this winter (probably), I'll bolt up the power tilt frame I made for the solar panel, and then maybe start either a roadshower type tank on the rack, OR, mount a pancake heat exchanger under the passenger seat for hot water instantly.

Holy crap! I've got a lot of work to do, better get going!

See ya.

:santa:

Last edited:
Wow I admire the modesty in your "want" list, Im a gear junkie bad I have two of everything and usually give most away. I really want to trade out my 2017 roofnest for a Ikamper top.

I have a room that rivals the best REI store.

Then I go and build a cabin, where all I need is a cooler and a small duffel bag for the weekend. However now that the build is coming to an end, I will need to outfit the cabin. :bounce:

This year's gears purchases will be a propane refrigerator, wood stove, and some gas light light fixtures.

I have a awning, and solar and a winch now! As far as MUST HAVE gear, would this be a like a list of new trendy/useful/cool gadgets that are out now? I want a jumper box/backup battery bank, so i can use the solar to charge it and keep from getting stranded if I ever stray too far from a mall. I MUST get a fire extiguisher, and a first aid kit! I already have a partner stove, so i just have to make a drawer/kitchen/chuck box thingy for it!

I have a awning, and solar and a winch now! As far as MUST HAVE gear, would this be a like a list of new trendy/useful/cool gadgets that are out now? I want a jumper box/backup battery bank, so i can use the solar to charge it and keep from getting stranded if I ever stray too far from a mall. I MUST get a fire extiguisher, and a first aid kit! I already have a partner stove, so i just have to make a drawer/kitchen/chuck box thingy for it!
go to my youtube channel Jailbreak Overlander and check out the amp3 first aid kit uy it once one and done and you are covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom