Multi Day Missouri Breaks/Ft.Peck - Summer Epic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Preface
A couple club meeting ago there was good interest around a multi day trip and specifically heading towards Fort Peck and the Missouri Breaks. I have wanted to plan a multi day trip in these areas and am offering to host this for the club here.

This thread will house all things planning and prep for this trip! Please post if you're interested so you see notifications as we add to this thread. I have the below items as topics that will need to be firmed up along the way. Please post any areas or specific spots you would be interested incorporating. Happy to crowd source any ideas while plans are still loose. Once we have the club run dates I will post up the remaining potential summer weeks available and zero in on the timeframe which should give us a good idea how much ground we can cover.

Crowd Source Needs!
If you have specific experience in either of these areas please share your experiences, pictures and learnings. Fort Peck is definitely a longer haul compared to the Upper Missouri Breaks and I want to make sure not to bite off more than we can chew. BREAKS GUMBO: The soil in these areas is some sort of lab created clay that is very seriously tough to travel through and you can expect zero winch points. A good summer rain system could force some flexibility. Something to keep in mind :)

Expectations:
-This area lends to an overland style experience. Lots of gravel, clay and loose dirt. Keep this in mind if you think you're interested.
-Not currently a club sanctioned event but we will be keeping this family friendly, dog friendly, and keeping in tune with typical club runs.
-I will do my best to paint as accurate a picture of what to expect route wise but I am not an expert on the area and I do not have first hand knowledge of the route. Should we run into closures, private prop gates or weather we will work through it but this area is remote and carries its own risks.

CHECKLIST
Dates:

Length of Trip:

Route / Points of Interest:
-OnX: I'm creating an OnX folder that can be made available to anyone joining this trip.

Gear / Food:

Comms:

Vehicle Requirements:

d4hVd3B.png

General Thoughts / Questions:
-
Interested Y/N?
-Vehicle Fuel Range? Hoping to make this route work for anyone with 220mi range and potentially able to carry an extra 50mi of range in spare fuel.
-I'd love to incorporate the Stafford Ferry if route allows. Any other areas specifically seem like we should incorporate?
-Jordan is a nice jumping off point for Fort peck trails and it is 4.5 hours from Livingston. Does that feel to far?
-I have used Winifred to get into the breaks before but would love to hear if anyone else has Breaks experience.
-Lewistown Brewery is a nice food stop
-Little Belts make a great layover spot heading up or coming back.

Looking forward to this!

-Ben
Preface
A couple club meeting ago there was good interest around a multi day trip and specifically heading towards Fort Peck and the Missouri Breaks. I have wanted to plan a multi day trip in these areas and am offering to host this for the club here.

This thread will house all things planning and prep for this trip! Please post if you're interested so you see notifications as we add to this thread. I have the below items as topics that will need to be firmed up along the way. Please post any areas or specific spots you would be interested incorporating. Happy to crowd source any ideas while plans are still loose. Once we have the club run dates I will post up the remaining potential summer weeks available and zero in on the timeframe which should give us a good idea how much ground we can cover.

Crowd Source Needs!
If you have specific experience in either of these areas please share your experiences, pictures and learnings. Fort Peck is definitely a longer haul compared to the Upper Missouri Breaks and I want to make sure not to bite off more than we can chew. BREAKS GUMBO: The soil in these areas is some sort of lab created clay that is very seriously tough to travel through and you can expect zero winch points. A good summer rain system could force some flexibility. Something to keep in mind :)

Expectations:
-This area lends to an overland style experience. Lots of gravel, clay and loose dirt. Keep this in mind if you think you're interested.
-Not currently a club sanctioned event but we will be keeping this family friendly, dog friendly, and keeping in tune with typical club runs.
-I will do my best to paint as accurate a picture of what to expect route wise but I am not an expert on the area and I do not have first hand knowledge of the route. Should we run into closures, private prop gates or weather we will work through it but this area is remote and carries its own risks.

CHECKLIST
Dates:

Length of Trip:

Route / Points of Interest:
-OnX: I'm creating an OnX folder that can be made available to anyone joining this trip.

Gear / Food:

Comms:

Vehicle Requirements:

d4hVd3B.png

General Thoughts / Questions:
-
Interested Y/N?
-Vehicle Fuel Range? Hoping to make this route work for anyone with 220mi range and potentially able to carry an extra 50mi of range in spare fuel.
-I'd love to incorporate the Stafford Ferry if route allows. Any other areas specifically seem like we should incorporate?
-Jordan is a nice jumping off point for Fort peck trails and it is 4.5 hours from Livingston. Does that feel to far?
-I have used Winifred to get into the breaks before but would love to hear if anyone else has Breaks experience.
-Lewistown Brewery is a nice food stop
-Little Belts make a great layover spot heading up or coming back.

Looking forward to this!

-Ben
I'm in, depending on dates.
It's even closer to Billings.

Mark

OK!

Thursday (3.28) @5p - Montana Ale Works

I’m going to be meeting up with Paul and Matt M from the Montana Rovers group. They offered to get together and share their experiences first hand. If anyone here would like to join the invite is open :) Would be nice to spread the knowledge around. I’ll document what I can as well.

My cell is nine one nine 9Osix 573four

OK!

Thursday (3.28) @5p - Montana Ale Works

I’m going to be meeting up with Paul and Matt M from the Montana Rovers group. They offered to get together and share their experiences first hand. If anyone here would like to join the invite is open :) Would be nice to spread the knowledge around. I’ll document what I can as well.

My cell is nine one nine 9Osix 573four
Yo I’m gonna try to make this meeting, will text to confirm

Yo I’m gonna try to make this meeting, will text to confirm
im gonna head that direction after i leave the office but ill be closer to 6-630 arrival

New update

I’m still going to plan to be at Ale Works by 6p. Open invite to all cruiser nerds. Gonna use the time to figure out potential dates for this trip and ham(not the radio) it up.

@ttFJC is on the hook
@geo5 if you were gonna be free you should join

And all others :)

Date Options

July 1
July 8 (July 12-14 Magruder Trail 406 run)
July 15
July 22
July 29

Aug 5 (Aug 10-11 Goose Lake 406 run)
Aug 12
Aug 19
Aug 26
**These dates are all the mondays of their respective weeks. We don't know how many days this trip will end up being but I would plan on at least 4 days minimum.

Initially I think targeting July/Aug would be nice for this trip so kids are out of school and weather is dry. Looks like the 40s only run will be in June and hunting season will ramp up in September. I just worked through my own calendar and the only week I cannot participate would be the week of July 22.

This is everyones chance to voice a preference. Please let us know what might work.

Date Options

July 1
July 15
July 22
July 29

Aug 12
Aug 19
Aug 26
**These dates are all the mondays of their respective weeks. We don't know how many days this trip will end up being but I would plan on at least 4 days minimum.

Initially I think targeting July/Aug would be nice for this trip so kids are out of school and weather is dry. Looks like the 40s only run will be in June and hunting season will ramp up in September. I just worked through my own calendar and the only week I cannot participate would be the week of July 22.

This is everyones chance to voice a preference. Please let us know what might work.
Ben,
FWIW, July 1/15/29 look good to me.... :cool:

A little shocked to look at our calendar and discover only available 8/26.

Possibly 7/22 if I don’t get into cruisers on the Rockies.

Date Options

July 1
July 15
July 22
July 29

Aug 12
Aug 19
Aug 26

only one that I can directly think of is Aug 26 week being out.

Date Options

July 1
July 15
July 22
July 29

Aug 12
Aug 19
Aug 26

Magruder Early - Mid July can be hit or miss. In my case it's been a miss the past few years when trying this first or second week of the month...... A few northern slopes hold snow for a while and they are loaded pretty good still.. Mountain meadows SNOTEL still holding 60 inches.... Just something to keep in mind

If you monitor snow depth maps they are surprisingly accurate to give you an idea of what section are still holding snow.
1712951135076.png

You guys pick, I’m more likely at the July 15th. If things keep up it should be dry or on fire by then ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom