MPG - what the .... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just googled to find liters per gallon and got:

[SIZE=+1]1 US gallon = 3.7854118 litres[/SIZE]

However, my copy of "The Dangerous Book for Boys" says that there are 4.55 litres per gallon!

Don't tell me that the US gallon is different to the UK gallon - and if so, when 'Yota qote mpg in their manuals, are they talking US or UK gallons?

Someone pls help and then I can calc my MPG on unleaded vs LPG!

What's the best/worse you've ever got?

ta :)
Sword

nickw said:
My truck (HDJ-81 with 1HD-T) gets about:
10.75 Liters per 100KM
26.5mpg metric
26.28 imperial mpg
22 US mpg
Not sure if that helps or not.

Of course it doesn't help! We in the US are stuck with Petrol engines that get 17 US mpg at best.

Okay - thanks! I found this site too:

http://www.mileagecalculator.co.uk/ but its just imperial.

It does however tell me that I'm getting about 15.5 mpg around town on LPG and at less than half the cost of diesel or unleaded, that makes me smile bigtime as it equates to about 37mpg penny for penny :)))))

Thanks,
Sword

The whole confusion comes from the americans trying to save a bit on the pint, giving only 16 oz, while a british pint is 20 oz.
So, for you brits visiting the us, make sure to order two right away.:beer:

Pints o' lager

uHu said:
The whole confusion comes from the americans trying to save a bit on the pint, giving only 16 oz, while a british pint is 20 oz.
So, for you brits visiting the us, make sure to order two right away.:beer:

...but in Canada, anything larger than a glass will get called a pint. It could be anywhere from 16oz to 24oz. It's anarchy i tell you.

Hi!

Oddly enough, I had thought of rising this very issue as soon as I returned from my holidays (which happened yesterday) :)
I've noticed there can be a certain amount of confusion when US, UK and Oz people are talking about MPG. Of course, in continental Europe and other civilized parts of the world we don't have that problem, since we are using the right fuel consumption unit, l/100 km that is :grinpimp:

As much as I am a fan of the metric system and think the US would be better off overall if it was using it (not necessarily transitioning to it). All arbitrary measurement systems will result in some awkwardness.

L/100kms is one of those awkward units. I think liters/kilometer would be much better even with the decimal point.

I always preferred km/l as it's somewhat similar to mpg, but I'm in the minority. In Canada, although we've been metric since the 70's, you still see mpg (although funnily it's imperial) and l / 100 km.

Martin White said:
I always preferred km/l as it's somewhat similar to mpg, but I'm in the minority. In Canada, although we've been metric since the 70's, you still see mpg (although funnily it's imperial) and l / 100 km.

Hm, l/km is already unconfortable with many modern small cars doing 0.05 l/km ( 47 mpg or so), and decreasing.
Km/l would be nice.

well, in ZA recently, I rented a Corolla that had all 3 units on the dash:
mpg
l/100 km
km/l

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom