moving to chicago (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby, what kind of shop are you running, and where are you located? When I get another cruiser I'd like to stop by and check out your shop and see what kind of cruiser goodness you have going on over there.

Sweet! I think I'm going to buy another 40 to be my DD here in Chicago. Well, either that or an 80, can't decide. Anyway, regarding buying another 40, which is my hearts desire... I've got one in mind that's posted in the for sale section of mud, but it is far away and de-smogged. What are the emissions laws here in the great state of Illinios, and would buying a de-smogged 77 be a bad idea as a result of the emissions laws here? Thanks in advance.

Desmogged should not be an issue with Antique tags which a 77 would be eligible for. When my 74 had regular tags, they bugged me all the time to get it checked. Once I got antique tags, they quit. You're not supposed to dd a car with antique tags though. Just supposed to drive it to shows, events and repairs. My pig pretty much is always on the way to an event or for repairs.

I don't know that the tags make a difference, it's just how it worked for me.

My 74 40 might be available, but it is desmogged as well.

Yep, antique tags are exempt, but if a police officer finds you're DD it, then he can issue you a ticket and the Sec. of State office possibly could revoke the antique tags. I have a bunch of left over smog parts from the engine bay of my old 40 that the P.O. left in there after the chevy conversion if needed. I think I posted in one of the forums that my old '77 40 passed emissions with a desmogged SBC 350. It barely registered any emissions on the test station's scope. The older trucks only get an idle test so if you can get it to run clean at idle you'll be ok.

I guess there's the whole certainty factor involved. As much as as I'd like to have yet another 40, b/c I need it as a DD, I'm not sure if I'm willing to take the risk that I'm going to have to put a lot of work into it just to get it legal. We'll see though. As soon as I think I have myself talked out of another 40, I see one that I really like and begin pondering again.

I think the best bet for me in the Windy City is probably an 80 or LX450. I've got a cousin over in Ohio that's in auto wholesale that can set me up with a good deal. He's actually trying to sell me his UZJ100, but that's just a little bit too big for Chicago I think. I was thinking about having him put an eye out for me on a nice 80 or LX450 with lockers possibly. Although, I'm not sure if that's gonna be shorter than a 100 or not. Anybody know the size difference between an 80 and a 100 if any?

Justin,

I'd leave the 40 in Denver and get a local beater. Even if you don't drive it during winter, rust will eventually get to it. Purchase a local 40 and wheel that in the Midwest.

Ali

DD'ing a 40 in Chicago traffic is NOT fun. If you're looking for a decent 80, I can out you in touch with the wholesaler that I bought mine from. Just tell him what you're looking for and he'll keep an eye out at the auctions. Whatever you get, I'd recommend an automatic trans if you;re going to do any bit of driving at all in/out of the city. Traffic never really 'flows' and you're left foot will take a beating.

I thought about a 4runner as well, but I think it would be quite righteous to get a locked 80 or lx450 and go to cliff's insane terrain park with you guys sometime. My 40 isn't rust free by any means, but is a beast, and it does not belong in the midwest, that's for sure!

As much as I like the city, and going out and chasing the ladies at night and on the weekends, I know the city is gonna drive me crazy and I'll be ready to get out of town and do some wheelin'. It's funny, I was just getting started wheelin' my 40 when I left Boulder. Only been 3 times, but man was it fun!

chitown40, didn't you just get your locked 80 in a trade for you mustard yeller 40? I think that's the direction I'm headed. I'm planning to have decent parking wherever I end up living, which I'm close to making a decision on... I can't wait to get a locked 80.

Oh yeah, anybody up for cruise moab this spring?! I'm saving my vacation days to go for the whole week ideally... I know a few of those rising sun club cats back on the front range too.

Yep.. traded the 40 for the 80. Best decision I've ever made. On a side note, my tenant hopefully will be out by this weekend so my apt. will be up for rent within a week or two after I clean up and paint. Just in case you were interested or if anyone knows of anyone looking for an apt.

It looks good to me. My wife likes it and I wouldn't mind adding to the stable but alas, damn money thing keeps getting in the way! :mad: I asked the guy if he would take our '95 Grand Cherokee 5.2 L plus some cash but no dice. :crybaby: The dude must sell his assets for the divorce: Harley and Cruiser.

Ali

So was he pretty un-willing to negotiate on the price? I wouldn't consider what he's asking a deal by any means. But, considering he put new catalytic converters, etc. into it, it would see like he's probably into it more than what he's gonna get at this point...

justin, what did you do with your 40 out here?

gumby, arent you in naperville?
if so look up my brother, bill beedon and kick him in the ass for me....;)
tell him its from his brother jim :D

cook40 said:
Recently came across a fairly clean stock 40 in Lincoln Park. Not sure of the price. I will get info for you if interested.

Any chance it's forest green? If so, I've seen it and it looks pretty nice. Not sure of the mechanicals though. There's also a nice stocker piggy for sale in Wilmette. White on Red asking about $7500 obo. I think it could be had around $6000. Real nice condition with very minimal rust and a good interior. It's been on eBay for a while too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom