Motorized Camping in PA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice, thinking about camping out that way next month...

Was out this weekend. Still a lot of roads in Rothrock and Bald Eagle that are hard packed ice.

I'm looking middle of April. Wife and kids will be in Florida. Think I am going to try out site 57 in Tioga.

I should add that you can now do online booking as well.
I've looked everywhere for on line booking of these sites. Can't find a thing. gotta link?

I've looked everywhere for on line booking of these sites. Can't find a thing. gotta link?
I have noticed that not all forest districts are “online” yet, IE: Moshannon.
Select the site you are interested in, then select availability.

This will open a new tab with two options: No online booking looks like this-
BF2D67D3-6751-45C5-9122-332F34ADAD99.jpeg

Or you will get this page which will show an availability calendar and an option to select “state forest online camping application”. Selecting that will open another tab that allows you to fill out the permit and submit. I received my permit in 30 minutes.

61A54DFF-4E21-4A2C-8131-DA4A790BBBB5.jpeg

756EC08D-7A90-42EA-8702-77C30EA36794.jpeg

Pics didn’t drop in order! On my mobile so apologies if this is confusing.

I have noticed that not all forest districts are “online” yet, IE: Moshannon.
Select the site you are interested in, then select availability.

This will open a new tab with two options: No online booking looks like this-
View attachment 2630862
Or you will get this page which will show an availability calendar and an option to select “state forest online camping application”. Selecting that will open another tab that allows you to fill out the permit and submit. I received my permit in 30 minutes.

View attachment 2630864

View attachment 2630865
Pics didn’t drop in order! On my mobile so apologies if this is confusing.
Good deal, thanks for walking me through it. I can sometimes be rather dull when it comes to navigating my way through gov websites.. Sadly, it will become a lot like making reservations out west. I'm always getting up at just before 12:00 midnight mountain time to get our reservations in. Two years ago we missed out on White Rim Trail reservations by about 30 seconds. I made one stupid little error and filled out all the vehicle information for the 3 in our party instead of bypassing that and going directly to purchase. In the 30 seconds it took me to do that, all three sites were taken. I'll be up at midnight to get them in at BESF. We can thank the commercialization of the "overlanding" fad for all of these type of places to be getting hammered by people. Crap, my wife and I used to go up to BESF for entire days at a time and see no one. Times they are a changin !

Bald Eagle and Rothrock were really busy last year due to COVID. I had a hard time finding spots at times. Hopefully it will settle a little after the fad passes.

Got back from camping this morning. Advise to all, do not book site 57 in Tioga. I ended up driving out to a local town and searching PA website for other sites in the area. The coordinates they provide were extremely helpful. Three sites were in the direction of home, and the last one turned out to be real nice. I called the district to let them know I camped at a different site. They were quite good about it.

Got back from camping this morning. Advise to all, do not book site 57 in Tioga. I ended up driving out to a local town and searching PA website for other sites in the area. The coordinates they provide were extremely helpful. Three sites were in the direction of home, and the last one turned out to be real nice. I called the district to let them know I camped at a different site. They were quite good about it.
Doesn’t look like that site offers anything. I try to recon when possible before selecting a site but if they have a fire ring and trailer access, they’re usually pretty decent.
I inadvertently booked one in Tiadaughton like that. It was essentially a pull off along the SF road with a walk path to pitch. A tent and did the same as you, looked at the map picked a few more and luckily found a great spot next to a stream that was very secluded. Didn’t see anyone all weekend! I let them know on Monday and they no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom