Monroe shocks; had to do it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, Bottom of OEM front shock bolt broke off. This over loaded the other OEM front shock and blew it. I headed to the nearest tire store and had 4 Monroe's put on the 'Ol Girl.

My impressions....

The Monroe's are too soft, as every other thread on this topic has stated about these shocks. The rig does ride a lot better than with, what I think, were the original OEM front shocks. The rears had been replaced with some Rancho 5000 at some point. Those were bad as well.

Very floaty feel to the ride, like an old Oldsmobile land ya ht. Don't ask me how I know. Soft ride, but doesn't give the LC a very confident feel when driving. I'm sure some OME stock height springs would make the ride better, but why waste any more cash, when a lift is what I want.... I NEEEEEEDDDD!! I can live with these for a while, but really want that OME lift.

So, don't waste any cash on the Monroe's, unless you like the "Big Pimpin' " type ride.

Last edited:
If the Monroes get to be too much to handle and you still are not ready for the OME lift, try OEMs from cdan. I have had mine on for a couple of weeks and have zero complaints. Less body lean in the round-abouts and when going over bumps the bounce stops immediately.

At ~ $120.00 for the set of 4, it really did not hurt moneywise to just do the shock swap until I decide what I want to do long term.

My .02 cents... Riley

i bet you can get OEM shocks from others on this board who installed aftermarket ones! I bet they'd love to clean up the garage!

My experience with Monroes are quite positive. I've been using OEM shocks for the first 70k miles - I changed them out every 35k miles. While they perform reasonably for the price, they lose significant amount of their dampening ability at 30k miles - often to the point of being dangerous on the road. I drive a stretch of elevated highway with the expansion joints at a diagonals for about a mile. Worn out OEM shocks will cause the vehicle to sway both front-back and sideways. I will often slow down to below 60 MPH just to stay in the lane and keep control of the vehicle.

Monroes are made by the same company that made the shocks for OME (Old Man Emu). Comparing new OEMs to new Monroes, I would say that they are comparable in their dampening ability. Time wise, the Monroes I've had definitely last longer than the two sets of OEM shocks (Takico) that I've replaced. I've had the Monroes on for over 40k miles. While they are definitely worn down, they still have more dampening ability then the OEM shocks have at 30k miles. Driving the same stretch of elevated highway with diagonal expansion joints, I can keep at speeds well above legal limits :)

Cost wise, the Monroes cost about 25% more than OEM shocks.

I'm due for another set of shocks. Based on my experience with Bilsteins on my other vehicle, I will replace the Monroes's with Bilsteins at more than 2X the cost of Monroes. It would not be the same experience since i will also replace the springs with OMEs at the same time as the shocks.

My experience with Monroes are quite positive. I've been using OEM shocks for the first 70k miles - I changed them out every 35k miles. While they perform reasonably for the price, they lose significant amount of their dampening ability at 30k miles - often to the point of being dangerous on the road. I drive a stretch of elevated highway with the expansion joints at a diagonals for about a mile. Worn out OEM shocks will cause the vehicle to sway both front-back and sideways. I will often slow down to below 60 MPH just to stay in the lane and keep control of the vehicle.

Monroes are made by the same company that made the shocks for OME (Old Man Emu). Comparing new OEMs to new Monroes, I would say that they are comparable in their dampening ability. Time wise, the Monroes I've had definitely last longer than the two sets of OEM shocks (Takico) that I've replaced. I've had the Monroes on for over 40k miles. While they are definitely worn down, they still have more dampening ability then the OEM shocks have at 30k miles. Driving the same stretch of elevated highway with diagonal expansion joints, I can keep at speeds well above legal limits :)

Cost wise, the Monroes cost about 25% more than OEM shocks.

I'm due for another set of shocks. Based on my experience with Bilsteins on my other vehicle, I will replace the Monroes's with Bilsteins at more than 2X the cost of Monroes. It would not be the same experience since i will also replace the springs with OMEs at the same time as the shocks.

Nice to know about the life span of OEM. I just replaced the old OEM with new OEM and the ride has improved. By the time I put 30,000 miles on the LC, I will know what I want to do as far as a lift (I am averaging 6,000 miles per year).

Thanks,

RIley

The Monroe's are too soft, as every other thread on this topic has stated about these shocks. The rig does ride a lot better than with, what I think, were the original OEM front shocks.

Very floaty feel to the ride, like an old Oldsmobile land ya ht. Don't ask me how I know. Soft ride, but doesn't give the LC a very confident feel when driving.

I'm actually looking to get some softer shocks for my LC. I have Bilsteins in there now, and even though they make the truck handle great on turns or freeways sweeps, the ride itself it too stiff for me and a newborn in the back.

For what I use my truck for (mostly freeway & daily driving, no off-road stuff), I'm looking for a much softer ride that will possibly give me that 'floaty' feel. I've contemplated between OEM Tokico shocks or Monroe shocks, and as much the Tokico's are recommended, if the Monroe shocks feel softer I might just go with that.

Let me ask you this, with your Monroe shocks - do you notice the truck swaying when driving straight on the freeway? Do you notice any issues where the truck feels really unstable during "normal" driving conditions?

I'm actually looking to get some softer shocks for my LC. I have Bilsteins in there now, and even though they make the truck handle great on turns or freeways sweeps, the ride itself it too stiff for me and a newborn in the back.

For what I use my truck for (mostly freeway & daily driving, no off-road stuff), I'm looking for a much softer ride that will possibly give me that 'floaty' feel. I've contemplated between OEM Tokico shocks or Monroe shocks, and as much the Tokico's are recommended, if the Monroe shocks feel softer I might just go with that.

Let me ask you this, with your Monroe shocks - do you notice the truck swaying when driving straight on the freeway? Do you notice any issues where the truck feels really unstable during "normal" driving conditions?

I went from OME firm to bilstein and now I have LX450 shocks and they are the best shocks of all 3. I might buy some Koni shocks down the line but I'm very very satisfied with the LX450 shocks. You can test out the ride on my Land Cruiser if you want.

I am content with Monroe Gas shocks. I've been using them for about three or four years now. I originally used the Fluid and THAT was boaty and downright dangerous at speed but the gas seems right for all around use.

Kalawang

...Monroes are made by the same company that made the shocks for OME (Old Man Emu)...

Does OME know Tenneco (Monroe's parent company) makes their shocks?

I'm sure I'll sound too harsh on this, but claiming the Toyota shock lifespan is 30k is simply B.S. They are made specificially for Toyota by Tokico - a top notch maker, and even have a welded on gravel guard. The Monroe's are also not correctly damped for the 80s mass, f/r weight balance, spring rate, roll rate, wheel base, roll center, blah, blah blah. If you like Monroe's mass produced randomly damped shocks designed for a wide range of other vehicles on your Cruiser - fine. But those positions on Toyota shocks are simply uninformed.

Toyota tests their shocks exhaustively as do other makers. Mass shock makers cannot afford to have a specific shock for each of the thousands of models - they're generically damped. I have been a part of OEM vehicle development for Lexus, GM, and Toyota as an employee for each and I am trying not to sound harsh but random advice on something as important to emergency handling as shock absorbers should not go unchallenged on this forum.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom