Mission possible. (Salvaging a totaled GX) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

First off, this community has already saved me thousands of dollars on my odyssey to bring back what in my opinion is a worthy, somewhat clean, low mileage 120. This thread will serve as a virtual thank you if only in photos alone, as well as a public journal of my progress.
The subject at hand caught my eye while browsing an online salvage write off auction due to having rather low miles for the year, only 67k and being a one owner truck from new. After placing a winning bid the truck arrived at my home via car carrier.

• 2004 non KDSS, Mark Levinson sound + rear air.

Upon inspection I knew i had some work cut out for me, repairs would include:
  1. Fix/repair hood
  2. Grille cracked
  3. Front bumper cover slated for the trash bin
  4. Rear bumper cover damage
  5. Lots of clips/fasteners missing or damaged
  6. Shattered radiator
  7. Bent A/C condenser
  8. Cracked fog lights
  9. Missing left outer CV boot clamp
  10. Airbag light on dash
  11. Only one key
  12. Rotted wiper blades
  13. Cracked digitizer on multifunction display
  14. Failed Mark Levinson Amplifier
Those were just some of the issues. Armed with lots of enthusiasm I got to work on my free time:

Mostly ordered progress photos below:

After some tear down I realized that the hood could be saved with some work, and the bent rad support could be coaxed back into shape with a come along and some prying.

The bodywork dragged on as I was doing all of this at home in suboptimal conditions during the conveniently mild northeast winter this year.

Of course while I had the truck apart I took the time to do some rust control/prevention with Corroseal. We'll see how it holds up.

The previous owner did not service this truck at a dealer its whole life, and was apparently not big on cabin air filter maintenance. :-/

Last edited:
The finished product so far, still needs a few things but is now driveable and presentable compared to its previous sorry state.

As of now some of the remaining work includes:

1. Flush trans fluid with some WS and change the filter.
  2. Clean/detail the whole truck inside and out.
  3. Refinish or maybeee replace the peeling wheels, TRD Pro wheels are sitting in my eBay shopping cart as we speak :D
  4. Figure out what to do with the VAIS SLU which was installed when I got the truck, and apparently wired in by Ray Charles.
  5. FIx/replace the broken rear view camera, as it currently shows a gray screen.
  6. Figure out why the front passenger door light is out(checked bulb already.)
  7. Replace B1S1 A/F sensor due to P0031 (Denso sensor from Rockauto on order already.)
  8. Change fluid in all 3 diffs with some 75W90.
  9. Replace all TPMS sensors, the techstream is only showing 2 dead ones but I assume the rest are following close behind.
Any opinions or helpful tips on the above would be most welcome. Particularly numbers 5 and 6 :)

Updates to follow!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the compliments guys!

I don't do bodywork for a living, just a hobby. Took some time but came out halfway decent.

Truck was definitely clean but not completely rust free. Went to grab an oil change and inspection today, also to put in 2 new TPMS sensors. Programmed them with my Techstream running in VirtualBox lickety split, once again all thanks to the information on this here forum! Also spent some time with a wire wheel, wire brush, scrapers, an air hose and some Corroseal to pretty up the underside a little bit. Perhaps maybe slow down any corrosion present on the axle some portions of the frame, time will tell. Fixed the "broken" passenger door light as well, it simply wasn't plugged in :confused: . Also discovered that the rear bags were recently replaced, score!

Some shots of the progress.
Photo Mar 14, 2 08 08 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 14, 2 08 13 PM (1).jpg

Nice work getting her back to being road worthy! That blue really has depth to it huh?

Thanks @GX460fan ! Much appreciated. The color is definitely one of my favorite parts of the truck.

Love to see work like this! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks fellas! Glad to share!

Slowly but surely more work is happening.
Tackled the outer CV boot this weekend, along with more Corroseal application and changing the front diff fluid while I had the axle popped out.

Photo Mar 21, 3 34 30 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 21, 3 34 37 PM.jpg

Been enjoying the truck during this crazy time, really a well built/comfortable vehicle, exactly what I was looking for.
One interesting tidbit I thought I'd share with you guys is the rear view camera repair.

The state of my OEM rear view camera after removing it from the tailgate(a pain in the butt to be frank.) Look at all that oxidation!
IMG_3126.jpg

Upon discovering what a replacement from Lexus goes for (+$350) I was shocked and quickly went to work researching on how I could fix this cheaply. The internet has lots of information on this subject so it wasn't too difficult to figure out a plan of action. Some helpful links I found below:

Part number for the OEM cam in case anyone is interested:
IMG_3130.jpg

Once I opened up the wiring I realized that it was a rather simple job, with only 1 gotcha. The factory cam is 6v and not 12v like most back up cameras you can purchase for a few $ online. I had to order one from China which was 6v specific and a little more expensive, it took a little while to get here(about 1 month.) After some soldering/heat shrinking she works perfectly! Furthermore I had to hot glue the new cam in place since it was a weird size/shape and did not fit the stock location without hacking up the old housing, so I opted for the hot glue :)

Shot of the OEM wiring harness below, the new camera(and all backup cams as far as I know) can literally be wired by color.

OEM HARNESS <> AFTERMARKET CAMERA
Red <> Red
Black <> Black
Yellow <> Yellow
White <> White (will likely be a black wire on the aftermarket camera which is paired with the Yellow wire)
IMG_3129.jpg

Shot of the truck for fun. Loving it so far.
IMG_3266.jpg

Last edited:
Nice helful work ! I wish to have camera. Mine is 2003 mark levinson with navi but no camera. In yhe past i did instalation of aftermarket camera with additional lcd screen. Good thing back of gx is flat so no sticking bumpers like in sedan cars. Thabks anyway o might use it one day. Im sure even without camera there must be socket for camera bihind my radio/ navi

Thanks guys!

More insignificant progress I thought I'd document:

- New silicone license plate trim cover, looks pretty spiffy.
- Re glued the torn front speakers.
- Replaced burned out switch bulbs with green LED's. Does anyone know if the dimmer switch has a replaceable bulb in it? Couldn't figure out how to get to it if there is.

Photos below:
IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

61375285279__8E59F9E9-ADF9-4E19-BABC-D62D8582AC3C.jpg

Post summer update:

Been putting some miles on the truck, loving it. So smooth/powerful/comfortable, I really should have bought one sooner after lusting after the 120 all these years. No photos sadly, having too much fun behind the wheel to snap any haha.

New additions:

- 4300k HID kit in low beams
- Nokiya 3000k halogen fog light bulbs(not recommended/too dim)
- Cleaned sunroof and A/C drains after a mini flood in the passenger side footwell
- Removed/cleaned/lubed the blower motor, no more leaves in it finally

Still need to get a VAIS bluetooth module and a couple of trim pieces for the interior, and definitely some wheels. T-case + rear end fluid remains to be done. Need to really finish the paint, wetsanding/cutting/buffing/touch up/seal. The sunroof is rattling so that needs dealt with as well.

One issue has arisen over the summer:
Anywhere from 50~65mph there is a slight rumble from the left front wheel at speed, its obvious and distinct as the rest of the truck/drivetrain is quiet as a church mouse. This sounds like a wheel bearing I assume? The dust cover on the CV Axle nut/hub is suspiciously missing also, so I assume someone has been here before... I'll probably get the truck up on a lift and get under it with a stethoscope to have a good listen.

Did some "off roading" this weekend if you could call it that. Got to test the hill descent control + low range over some drainage ditches at the apple picking spot. :cool:
Loving the GX more and more every day.
Will be ordering a Koyo front wheel bearing and replacing it in the next couple of weeks to tackle the "hum" coming from the drivers front corner at highway speeds.
IMG_3936.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

You did a great job saving this truck!

You did a great job saving this truck!

Thank you very much! Comments like these certainly keep me going!

Update: New Koyo Bearing installed, not without some fun however... It turns out that the the left front bearing has already been replaced(as I eluded to in an earlier post) and the original 70k mile right side bearing was in fact the culprit. I only discovered this AFTER replacing the left side bearing, taking the GX for a test drive, and being met with the same roar/hum I've been hearing this whole time. Dropped the right side bearing and replaced in probably 30 minutes, these trucks are quite easy to work on. Love that!

Also installed a BT45-TOY bluetooth adapter interface. Placed the box into the glovebox for easy access. Sounds really good, I might get around to wiring up the microphone at some point but for now I'm happy blasting some tunes from my phone.

Slowly running out of things to do on the GX, still need to do the t-case and rear diff fluids, perhaps this weekend. Then will drive over to a buddies shop, place it on a lift, and spray the inner frame rails/crossmembers with some fluid film for a nice happy life in the northeast :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom