Mishimoto aluminum radiotor cap pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All-
I've had recurring problems with a leaking cooling system. While it easily could be a simple clamp/hose issue, does any one know what the correct pressure rating should for the radiator cap? I have a Mishimoto aluminum radiator with a 1.3 Bar cap. While Mishi doesn't make an less pressure cap, is 1.3 Bar too high?

Thanks in advance,
-ibis1969

This is from the FSM. They do a pressure test at 21 psi (1.45 Bar). And they test the relief valve on the cap to be between 10.7 and 14.9 psi (0.74 to 1.03 bar). If the pressure on the cap you have is for the relief valve, then it does seem a little bit high.

You might be able to rent or borrow the pressure test equipment from an autoparts store. This is a good way to check where you might be leaking then address the leak with new hoses and/or tighter clamp.

1659015103339.png

Will a different cap fit the radiator? I think 1.3 bar is about 18 psi which is a bit up there.

a genuine NipponDenso correct cap has 0.9 stamped on it

ALL Toyota vehicles use the 0.9 rating

1620068312106.png

556976D0-47FD-4F17-8E0B-0B7062E86D82.jpeg

1659056735948.png

1659056844419.png

1659056873727.png

densocap11_2048x.jpg

D6A4C9B5-1C70-493D-90D3-2337A3C25009_2048x.jpg

sanseicom_15272-72020_2 - Copy.jpg

1659056790911.png

Last edited:
Hi ToyotaMatt-
That is very helpful. Do you know if the 0.9 rating on the Denzo radiator cap means 0.9 BAR?

I've checked and the cap dimensions for the Mishimoto cap are smaller than the Denso cap size.

This could be an issue.

Thanks,
-ibis1969

Hi ToyotaMatt-
That is very helpful. Do you know if the 0.9 rating on the Denzo radiator cap means 0.9 BAR?

I've checked and the cap dimensions for the Mishimoto cap are smaller than the Denso cap size.

This could be an issue.

Thanks,
-ibis1969

the size spec diagram i made a while back for Tutorial use here on MUD , is of the Pre-4/86 BIG CAP Only to be klear

i guess i should now make a SMALL CAP 4/86-Present Day size spec. diagram too now .......... 🤔

odd thing is CSF , the BEST aftermarket Radiator in my opinion , was all small caps till a few years ago , NOW are big caps much of the time , i hope they realized that

the BIG cap size spec. was needed for ANY 2F and Earlier F1.5 etc engine?

or was it simply customer demand for the timeless and period correct traditional Retainer Chains Laden BIG caps to return ?

hopefully both ! :)

the entire 0.9 topic is based on the Pressure Release feature hands down , as i understand it to be , i would NEVER install a CHEEZY Aftermarket ROCK AUTO China crap cap on ANY toyota i owned for sure

i have seen the damage i higher pressure rated one or a stuck shut SH#T one like moto-rad can cause on a sensitive Toyota cooling system during my tenure at the dealer ship level

all i can say for a FACT , and this is fact based in detail , NO TOYOTA i have ever seen comes with a cap other then a 0.9 and ALL Toyota OEM caps are stamped 0.9

but there's DANGER OUT there on the perimeter where there are NO stars at night , placers like EBAY , AMAZON , and the sketchy like !

100% SOLID Counterfeit DENSO and NipponDenso Radiator Caps , and also TRD ones too ,

so everyone beware , purchase form a trusted and known Source 100% of the time ,

- now there's a fair and balanced flip side to this too i must mention , in FULL Transparent and open forum support of my favorite TOYOTA OEM parts maker

DENSO , / NipponDenso .........

DENSO , recently like 1 year ago fully shifted the majority of its GLOBAL operations and manufacturing to Jakarta Indonesia , there NEW WORLD head quarters is

NO longer in JAPAN , only a small chunk of what was something Special

so , what im trying to say is ; If you see a MADE IN INDONESIA NipponDenso / DENSO oem part , it most likely is legit , but remain vigilant of course here too

DENSO made in CHINA parts are full on counterfeits most of the time but NOT always , DENSO does indeed have operations in CHINA and lots of south east ASIA

below is a tech MAP to help you distinguish DENSO manufacturing locations globally , even here in the USA

im a DENSO Authorized distributor of a few small nicht products i carry , but that's a super hard door and glass ceiling to get you foot in the door of a ever growing

exclusive FRAT HOUSE club if you follow me here ?

- Below DENSO GLOBAL map

then BELOW MAP is a live real time LINKS of 100% counterfeit DENSO products i can say 100% solid are just that like cooling system parts Radiator caps IN particular

1659568285397.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

100% COUNTERFIET DENSO NipponDenso Radiator caps

Amazon product ASIN B0B7RMSRYD

1659568658297.png

Amazon product ASIN B086C3TN15

1659568721673.png

1659568763224.png

1659568915114.png

1659568999104.png

1659569064657.png

1659569085309.png

Last edited:
So, it appears that Radium Engineering makes a few different BAR rated small radiator caps that fit the Mishimoto aluminum radiator for FJ60 2F's. The link is here: Radiator Caps - http://www.radiumauto.com/Radiator-Caps-P726.aspx

The lowest BAR Radium makes is 1.1 BAR which equals 16.0 psi. It's not the 0.9 BAR/13.1 psi that the OEM Denso cap appears to be rated. But 1.1 BAR/16.0 psi is 13.3% better than the 1.3 BAR/18.9 psi that the lowest rated small cap Mishimoto, so it's better than nothing.

Will post to this thread as I experience the results of the lower rated cap. I just installed it today on my FJ60. I have been experiencing slight water leaks over time as the Charleston, SC weather in August exerts its influence on my motor.

-ibis1969

odd thing is CSF , the BEST aftermarket Radiator in my opinion , was all small caps till a few years ago , NOW are big caps much of the time , i hope they realized that

the entire 0.9 topic is based on the Pressure Release feature hands down , as i understand it to be , i would NEVER install a CHEEZY Aftermarket ROCK AUTO China crap cap on ANY toyota i owned for sure

i have seen the damage i higher pressure rated one or a stuck shut SH#T one like moto-rad can cause on a sensitive Toyota cooling system during my tenure at the dealer ship level

all i can say for a FACT , and this is fact based in detail , NO TOYOTA i have ever seen comes with a cap other then a 0.9 and ALL Toyota OEM caps are stamped 0.9
Hey TM, so the Motorad radiator cap is really that inferior to the OEM Toyota radiator cap (even though the Motorad is stamped 0.9 bar it may not always release pressure at 0.9 bar)? Oh boy if so--better get that puppy off my radiator asap. Do you know if the Toyota part# 1640154750 radiator cap will fit the CSF 2709 radiator on my FJ80 3FE?

Hey TM, so the Motorad radiator cap is really that inferior to the OEM Toyota radiator cap (even though the Motorad is stamped 0.9 bar it may not always release pressure at 0.9 bar)? Oh boy if so--better get that puppy off my radiator asap. Do you know if the Toyota part# 1640154750 radiator cap will fit the CSF 2709 radiator on my FJ80 3FE?

hello mr. retro ....:)

it kinda is exactly like this :

motorad brand caps are your fancy-shmancy-grade of Chinese-Made Chairman MO at ROCK AUTO that u can BUY IT NOW ....:worms:

- is it actually possible that radiator cap that retails for $2.56 , and lets just say costs 1/2 that to produce could be as good and safe for your land cruiser the a Genuine NipponDenso Japan one
that cost the same as a your favorite 18pack on Friday night ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom