Micro-chipping a scam? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
So our dog, Lela, was adopted from a rescue organization with a micro-chip already.

We updated our info then, and once when moving three years ago, but now the chip comes back with no known information when scanned. We only scanned her because we've recently moved and wanted to update our info.

So basically, if she got lost right now, she'd go into a shelter as an abandoned dog.

I'm mightily p*ssed, to say the least.

I did a chip search and it came back with two possible returns, both of which vendors say it was an unregistered chip and they want to be paid for their "lifetime registration". Of course, I now realize how "lifetime" those registrations now are. Basically, they last just long enough for the companies to extort more money from you. In the meantime, there is a chance your chip just might become worthless and your pet lost to you forever.

I have no clue what to do right now. Is there a non-rip off microchip company that someone would recommend?

Update: I ended up going through a week's back and forth online and on the phone I managed to get my information associated with the chip.

The problem is since a shelter installed the tag, they "own" it forever and ever, amen. Though I have sweet talked a micro-chip monitoring service that had the chip registered with it into giving me permissions to edit my information.

Plus it's a slightly off-brand chip. The techs who "updated" the chip prior simply ran into the first issue and decided not to follow through, as I'd never know the difference.

Update: I ended up going through a week's back and forth online and on the phone I managed to get my information associated with the chip.

The problem is since a shelter installed the tag, they "own" it forever and ever, amen. Though I have sweet talked a micro-chip monitoring service that had the chip registered with it into giving me permissions to edit my information.

Plus it's a slightly off-brand chip. The techs who "updated" the chip prior simply ran into the first issue and decided not to follow through, as I'd never know the difference.
There are free chip registries that are fighting back against these sorts of policies.

I've not had any issue.

Yup, I am not a fan. I have two rescue dogs and both of them still have the previous owner's info associated with the chip as I refused to pay the $50 dollars to change a phone number in an online registry. The pups all have collar tags with two phone numbers and our address. It seems to work out fine. I haven't bothered chipping the other pup, but he is somewhat distinctive, so we didn't have a hard time finding him on the couple times he got out prior to the collar tag.

Yup, I am not a fan. I have two rescue dogs and both of them still have the previous owner's info associated with the chip as I refused to pay the $50 dollars to change a phone number in an online registry.
Although $50 to ensure your dog is returned or at least identifiable, in the event a collar is slipped or the dog is taken-that sounds more reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom