Metberry Gulch May 31, 2014 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...h-wheeling-camping-run-saturday-may-31st.html

The fj cruisers have made this an annual event for the last three years and are keeping it going this year. Right now we have a bunch of fj's going and i think 1 four-runner. Most will be camping at the bottom but I think I am setting camp on top at my usual spot. I want to keep the kids away from all the big people. Any way I didn't see this one on the calendar and figured a lot of you guys like this trail so why not come along. I enjoy having a large group on runs like these and if the wife can shuffle her schedule she will bring her jeep. If she can't it will be me and the boys.

I am bringing a grill and a stove with.

Looks like a great trip, but would likely spend more time getting there and back than I would wheeling and sleeping.

I need to get a trailer...

I may be able to talk to the wife into this as this is one of her favorite trails. So we may join up with you. Camping is a definitely possibility as well. Where do you set up camp? Just on top of chicken scratch rock? I'm curious to see what the bottom is like these days.

Nice. I camp way before the turn to metberry just to get out of the way of most of the traffic. I will let you know where once I get the info, but you can also camp at the bottom if you like as well. It does sound like quite a few people that is why I am staying else where.

I love camping at the bottom of Metberry in the colder months. In the summer months, the ATV's wake you up very early :)

Here is a pic off my delrome map. We stay jut before signal butte. There is a turn off to the right right before the burn area. You would take a right at the stop light in divide and it turns to county road 5 then bear left. You will now be on cedar mountain road or also called 51 road. You will end up taking a right but the road should stay the same name from the maps I am looking at. You will drive pavement then it changes to gravel and you will take a right at 362 or 363. Then a left on 362 (or if it was 362 you would stay on it). If you hit rd 3 or also called trail creek road you went to far. I am going to go up Friday night and Saturday night. Gonna bring the bow to shoot in camp.
cid:9196D2F5-BBA2-44FA-A3BF-F7EFFD2C97E6

these guys are going to be at the trailhead at around noon. i am going to be there at 11:45 waiting for them if any of you want to get out. i will also have my grill with and i am sure others will too.

image.jpg
Well that camp spot was full so I found a different one and it was just as nice if not better. We stayed Friday night and then packed most stuff up except for the tent and proceeded to the trail head. I was just a little late as I got there at 12 and they had already left. I caught up at chicken scratch hill. The kids had fun at the river and they wanted to go across to the other side to catch frogs. You know me gullible dad so I walked them across one at a time. It was waist deep and running pretty fast. Anyway they fj' s were worried about the storms and left before I got back. So yet again I was playing catch up and ran into 2 stragglers coming down. Darryl from the Chinamans gulch run and Jess a chic on the 35's. Darryl wanted to camp and Jess likes wheeling. She had already came down and met the group and headed up when she ran into Daryl. She didn't want him wheeling by himself and she didn't know I was still coming up. I met them half way and turned around back to river. We stayed and the weather passed and we drove back up a wet chicken scratch hill. We ran into a couple atv' sand one of him bent up his steering. I borrowed him a crow bar of mine and he bent it back and they were on there way. Jess headed back to Denver and we headed to where I was camping. Kids had fun and it was great weather for wheeling. Pic of the view at camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom