Metal Tech tube door install for FJcruiser! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
THis was done quite some time ago I forgot to include the folks of Ih8mud on the install:( SO here ya go!

Orginal install can be found here FJCCentral.com come check us out!

Just received the metal tech tube doors they are bad ass! Toyota has quick disconnects for the speaker system and this covers that aspect. Most of the time was taken by figuring out parts and where to put them like most products.
I would say once they are assembled you could flop your old doors back on in 20-30 minutes...not bad! The original install took about an hour we disassembled the entire door to find the disconnects that was half the time taken LMAO! SO here ya go for speedy install. 2 people needed for the install. ..the factory doors are pretty heavy. Thanks to Mark from Metal tech for the awesome customer service!

Taking off the sill trim is the first step..
TUbe1.jpg

removed so you can get to the vinyl/plastic kick panel
tube2.jpg

this is the vinyl/plastic kick panel
tube3.jpg

tube4.jpg

this is the passenger side use a plastic remover pry bar to get this tab disconnected (LATER I FOUND OUT IT UNSCREWS DOH)
tube5.jpg

Here is the part
tube6.jpg

Then the disconnects are behind there for the speakers and electrical..use a small flat head screw driver to disconnect you will see the button to press. Pull through hole in door jamb..
tube7.jpg

THats pretty much it..then you have 4 bolts to remove off the old door hinges then flop on the new ones. The mirrors are easy to install
Next is the levers and what not..had minor issues on alignment but figured it out...

This is the stock latch receiver it needs to be removed it has a torque bolt (make sure to hold onto these for the stock doors to be reinstalled)
tube8.jpg

Removed
tube9.jpg

New latch receiver
tube10.jpg

Latch installation (make sure you are aligned before torquing them down)
tube11.jpg

tube12.jpg

Latch is working after minor alignment
tube13.jpg

Rubber handles on next. Slice the sealed part of it with a razor to allow air to go through or you will get them stuck on..then lube them up with alcohol liberally and slide on
tube14.jpg

All done
tube15.jpg

tube16.jpg

Showing (optional) mirrors
tube17.jpg

tube18.jpg

Last edited:
tube19.jpg

ON the trail is where these truly prevail!

TUbber.jpg

Makes the truck feel totally different, the looks you get while rolling around are hilarious. I highly recommend getting these beauties

Cool; finally at least a partial solution to the awful trail visibility.

it looks great ,one question i got is were did youget those mirrors?????

Hi Jake,
Mark says there's an extra step for us AT's. I'll get him to post it up.
Mine came with the mirrors.

Mine go back on next Wednesday, too! :clap:

3365140395_f31a5ca68c_b.jpg

:flipoff2:

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of buying a pimp A-- rig that has not only offroad capability but also recirculates air and keeps dust out....
A 40 is way cheaper and you can take the whole top off....

I'm just sayin'

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of buying a pimp A-- rig that has not only offroad capability but also recirculates air and keeps dust out....

I'm just sayin'

:lol:

yeah, but after you drop $8k-$10k on a 40, then drop another $5k-$8k in parts and another $5k in labor to make it drivable you still have a 35-40 year old FJ40 that drives like crap on the freeway and doesn't wheel much better with such a short wheel base.

I'm just sayin... :):D

Ann are you serious I have no idea why there would be an extra step for AT's LOL!

You girls have fun in Moab rocking the doors...I think we will be bringing ours with for Moab Mayhem in July after the summit...I want to take them off in Ouray but I have no idea what to do with the stock doors on our way to Moab:lol: Think I could throw them on the roof rack? hahahahah

:lol: Sbechtold I'm just saying! Knoll the air conditioning still works wonders even with them off, no need for recirculation...its fun getting dusty anywho. My truck is a 4 wheeling machine I dont wax it I hardly ever clean it I WHEEL...the damn thing is dusty just living down in AZ with the regular doors on. ANd its not like this mod is perminent, 1/2 hour tops to take them off and the stocks back on.

True that!! :)

Oh and I didn't say they look Wicked cool!!!!

I'm just sayin'

The idea behind the tube doors is to allow greater visibility on the trail. With the front doors on they sit up so high your vision when approaching an obstacle is greatly reduced. With the tube doors everything opens up a lot and makes going through obstacles much easier. That and the feeling of the open air flying around you on the road is awesome. Its like driving a FJ40 but with modern amenities.

:lol:

yeah, but after you drop $8k-$10k on a 40, then drop another $5k-$8k in parts and another $5k in labor to make it drivable you still have a 35-40 year old FJ40 that drives like crap on the freeway and doesn't wheel much better with such a short wheel base.

I'm just sayin... :):D

I don't know what you're talking about... but my FJ40 has a 106" wheel base ;p with 53" of wheel travel. However mine can't drive down the freeway for the life of it with 40" Iroks, 4.11 gears, with a 2f engine running on propane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom