1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melted wires

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by imsquizz, Aug 16, 2006.

1. imsquizz

imsquizz

I know this is a tough one, but I have been having problems starting my 73' (82 2F). Sometimes it would turn over and run sometimes is would just click, and sometimes nothing. My battery was old and the postive pole was loose inside so I replaced it. It worked for a week then wouldn't start again. When I looked undet the hood I found that battery acid had run out of the new battery. Upon seeing this I do remember that the amp meter was hangin out on the positive side a few times. At one point I checked the old battery (before I replaced it) and it tested fine and was charging correctly.

The next thing I got was a new voltage reg. installed it and same thing. Thats when I decided to pull the instrument cluster and discovered that the two white wires going to the amp meter were melted together. So I started to look closer and could see that the sire going into the alternater was bubbled as well as some other areas that didn't look good.

I imagine there could be many reasons why wires would melt. Any thoughts about this one. Anything I should try before I get mad and rip out the whole thing and start over.:mad:

Actually, I was going to start unwrapping the wires to get a better look. I don't know if any other wires have been damaged.

TIA
    Craig

2. ranger

ranger

Once you start unwrapping the wires you're going to find a big mess.

3. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

I can only think of one reason: heat. :D

Chances are that the reaon that both the alternator and chassis feed wires from the battery were melted is that the alternator shorted out at some time and you don't have a fusible link. I doubt that the alternator puts out enough juice to melt the wire even running full bore.

This may be unrelated to your starting problems as there are several possibilities for this, including bad starter, bad solenoid, bad wiring connections between the battery, starter and ground.

4. kulangot

kulangot

Does not sound good, take the alternator and starter in to a good auto parts house and have them tested.

Sounds like your going to need a good used harness or a rewire via painless, EZ wire, etc. I have done both, if you can find a good stock harness that's the way to go.

Just a hunch, but your truck is not wired like the alternator would be on a late 2F, check the way the wire was spliced to make that work so that you don't repeat the problem with a new harness. Make sure you have a fuse able link like PH said.

If your in Northern MD do you know Dave M?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  5. imsquizz

imsquizz

Thanks everyone.

Is Dave the Master Mech. guy from Toyota. I Have a good friend that knows him. If it is the same guy, he moved to Fl and is no longer with Toyota. Bummer. If it isn't him, give me his #, I think I need alot of help with this one.

I am either paraniod or really nervous but I drove my 69' to work this morning and now the amp meter is close to being pined on the +30. If seems that the more the higher the RPM the further to the right the needle would go. If I turned on a blinker it would go closer to the middle when the blinker was on and then further to the right when off.

Then I also discover gas dripping out of the shotty EFI plug in the carb.

Anyway, I thought somewhere I heard of a really good shop in Virginia for working on cruisers.

Craig

6. ranger

ranger

Leaking fuel, melted wires, I wouldn't be driving it until its fixed.

7. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Sounds like your alternator is not regulating properly. Check the voltage regulator (either interal on '82 or external on '73). No need to replace all the wiring; just the ones that are melted or shorted.

8. imsquizz

imsquizz

I tried putting in a new voltage regulator and it does the same thing upon starting as it did before

9. imsquizz

imsquizz

any one have the wiring diagram or a link for the 73'?

10. imsquizz

imsquizz

any one have the wiring diagram or a link for the 73'?

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">