Build Matubrembrem’s OMJ60.06

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

curious if youve wired up a glow plug relay yet? Im confused with two wires and where the best spot to tap into for mine. Not sure where to go for "ignition" and "starter". Im assuming starter I just connect to the signal post for the starter but really unsure what wire for the ignition. Wiring is likely my least favorite and most confusing part of this swap for me.
I did however get my sensors/gauges from speedhut installed and functioning so im not completely inept at wirng! just dont look at all the loose wires down below, they are not important... lol
IMG_5463.webp
 
curious if youve wired up a glow plug relay yet? Im confused with two wires and where the best spot to tap into for mine. Not sure where to go for "ignition" and "starter". Im assuming starter I just connect to the signal post for the starter but really unsure what wire for the ignition. Wiring is likely my least favorite and most confusing part of this swap for me.
I did however get my sensors/gauges from speedhut installed and functioning so im not completely inept at wirng! just dont look at all the loose wires down below, they are not important... lolView attachment 4138572
I have not wired up my glow plug relay yet. I’m diving into wiring now. I have half of the original glow plug harness, it was cut off whenever the engine was pulled so I’ve got to extend that and re loom it. I was planning to wire it into the ignition switch with a timer to run in accessory mode but I’m not great with wiring so I’ll save that for later on. I’m going to wire in a switch to go where the choke knob was to a 100 amp relay and call it good.

I’m still thinking about how I want to hook up the tach. I’ll probably get the signal from the alternator.
 
Fuel system is hooked up. I made a couple stainless hard lines to go along the firewall. Flared them with this new to me tool and I think they turned out pretty nice.

This is awesome.. I'm super jealous of your running diesel as I'm hoping to begin a 1HD-T swap soon...

How'd you route the exhaust? It looks like you used the factory fuel hard lines? Any concern about diameter? I'm contemplating adding a 1/2" hard line from the fuel tank to allow more fuel. What tool is that you used to flare the new lines?
 
This is awesome.. I'm super jealous of your running diesel as I'm hoping to begin a 1HD-T swap soon...

How'd you route the exhaust? It looks like you used the factory fuel hard lines? Any concern about diameter? I'm contemplating adding a 1/2" hard line from the fuel tank to allow more fuel. What tool is that you used to flare the new lines?
Thanks, it’s a riot. That said, I’ll be jealous of YOUR swap when it comes time. I thought about a few different turbo diesel engines when I was planning and budgeting for this whole thing. I REALLY wanted to do a 1HD-T or FT and keep everything Toyota but cost, a few other factors and some persuasion from a buddy of mine who’s really into land rovers ultimately led me to the OM606.

I’ll put up some photos of the exhaust.

The ‘99 E300 TD fuel lines are only 10mm OD for the feed and 8mm OD for the return. The FJ60 lines were close enough (8mm) that I figured it wouldn’t make much of a difference at this power level. If I had any issues I figured I could bump up to 10mm or more hard lines from tank or run an electric in line pusher pump.

The flaring tool is from summit racing but I’ve seen a very similar model from other sellers. You’re more than welcome to borrow it when you need as it wasn’t cheap. Lmk
 
Last edited:
Here are some pics of the exhaust I put together. It’s all 3” aluminized steel, a turbo specific flange adapter from benzforce, a couple evil energy 3” v bands from amazon, an 18” flow fx muffler. All in about $250 for materials and two days of my time. Ended up with quite a bit of leftover pipe. I opted for the cheap stuff bc it was my first time doing this. I figured I’d save some money and not ruin a bunch of nice stainless and I don’t have a setup to tig anything. I did it all with my 140 mig and .035 flux core.

Down pipe right into a 6” flex pipe, crossed it over to the DS in front of the oil pan, then straight back to the axle, up and over the axle, then out to the factory side exit location.

IMG_0838.webp


IMG_0837.webp


IMG_0836.webp


IMG_0835.webp


IMG_0834.webp
 
Last edited:
The down pipe is a little close to my brake and fuel lines so I slapped some header wrap on there. I’ve got some more header wrap on the way to cover the rest of it, including the flex section. Same with the crossover near the oil pan. I also have some aluminum heat shielding I’ll make a little tunnel out of to put around the brake, fuel, turbo oil feed and coolant line to the rear of the block.

IMG_0832.webp
 
I hooked up my boost tee and went for a short drive with a buddy of mine. Started with 20 clicks out from zero and hit 24psi at maybe 3/4 throttle. The engine pulls really strong, easily gets up 85 and it’ll keep going if I let it. We kept hearing a siren like noise coming on above 16psi, pucker factor. I’d let off and it would go away. Friend suggested it was probably a boost leak. We checked over all the pipe work and found the boot on the compressor outlet adapter had slipped down but was still attached. Fixed that and no more noise.

EGT hanging around 4-500*F when cruising easy on flat ground. Pretty smoky in the mid rpm when accelerating, depending on how much skinny pedal, and clears up around 8-12 psi, ~6-700*F maybe 3k rpm? If I roll into flooring it in 4th or 5th I can get it up to 1400*F and quickly get out of it at that point.

I need to get my tacho figured out and setup so I can start tuning. Easy button would be the dakota digital unit but I’m not crazy about adding more bluetooth gizmos to this truck. I’d like to pull signal from the alternator into a converter of some kind, and run the factory gauge.

Still lots to do. I’m wrapping up installing new carpet, got the padding pretty much done. Then digging into A/C stuff and re foaming all the duct work. I had my heater core rebuilt, need to put it back in. After that, I can put my dash back together.

IMG_0852.webp


IMG_0851.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom