1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

major wiring problems!!

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by phobos0001, Aug 26, 2006.

1. phobos0001

phobos0001

Hi everyone

My Dad's newly bought fj40 is a wiring nightmare, we started stripping it and are finding there are wires aplitting into 2s 4s and running nowhere, some are melted through and some just dont go anywhere!!

i am after a diagram or something for a 75' jf40 and any other pointers it had a 351 clevo motor and the altenator has an external regulator (Bosch RE-55) also the gauge cluster has a 12 pin connector but nothing is connected at all!! i need some help urgently to get her back on the road, or should i say offroad :D

thanks for any help everyone!!

2. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

Even if you're only offroad the wiring should be done right. Check out www.sor.com for the diagrams. They have them somewhere not sure which one though...also it will be laid out as if it has the origional 2F so the engine part of it will have to be hit and miss.

3. phobos0001

phobos0001

yea, i have had a 93 surf have a dash fire on a toll-way road and that was a scary experiance so i'm pedantic about the wiring, thanks ill check it out, *edit* is there ay free wiring diagrams around? call me a cheapskate if you will but i was after something to look at today as its rare i have time to tinker on it and i'm hoping to have her ready for a roadworthy inspection when my father returns from his trip*/edit*

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  4. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

There is a diagram for a '78 available under "tech links" above as a pdf file. There are a few differences, but it will be close enough. With a Ford engine and alternator, you have to expect some wiring changes.

First step would be to figure out what your wiring actually is.

5. phobos0001

phobos0001

alrightey then, after some cramped under-dash sorting i have seporated the good from the crud, and there is less then 1/2 the spagetty tangle that is my loom! i cus away all unnessasery wires, spices and junctions and its a lot more amnagable now, the major concern for me now is the gauge cluster. i have the round 12-pin connecor and the cluster but i dont know what goes where, even in the wiring diagram it is a bit unclear to me. all i need is the dash lights, hazard, indicator lights, high-beam blue light, and that kind of jargon. i DONT need the oil gauge, amp meter (fryed) or anything else but the speedo but thats a nice and easy cable anyway. anyone got a pin configuration diagram or something to help out with the cluster?

thanks again for all your help so far, i apriciate all the suguestions
    -Phobos

6. pickle

pickle

There's a used set of wires on EBay with dash cluster. There's also a Haynes repair manual which has somewhat of a wiring diagram in it for different years.

7. phobos0001

phobos0001

ive put in some more under-dash time with a pair of wire cutters, its very managable now all the dash switches are wired up and i have deviated from the original wiring diagram, there are a few thing i dont like, such as the amp gauge and the heater fan before the regulator or fuse panel (thats how she was) i still cannot find any info on that cluster plug anyone got a colour scheme or something go help me out? i was also concidering ridding myself of the cluster altogether and going aftermarket gauges, how do you go about matching the speedo gauge or the fuel gauge? arent they specific to the tank and gearbox respectively?

thanks for all of the advice and finds before, much apriciated

8. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

The amp meter is the main distribution point for all power in and out of the battery, so if it is fried, you need to bypass it. You can't just disconnect it and leave the wires hanging.

I don't know about the connector, but generally you just plug the male end of the connector into the female end and you are done. Each wire in the gauge cluster has a color code that is shown in the schematic diagram. All of the lights have a power wire and the lamp housing is the ground. The oil pressure, fuel and temp gauges have a power wire and a wire that goes to the sender.

All of the chassis lights and accessories get power from the fuse block, with the exception of the ignition coil, which is not fused. One side of the fuse block is always hot and runs things like the headlights, hazards and brake lights. It gets power from a large white wire with blue stripe that comes from the amp meter. The other side of the fuse block is only hot when the key is on. It gets power from the ignition switch via a black wire with red stripe.

9. dfmorse

dfmorse

Phobos;

U really need to get the chassis & body manual No. 98154; which covers 1975 and up FJ40,55 and others.

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/ToyotaFactoryOwnersManuals.htm

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat221.tam?c...&lpt=1156858284&xax=30396&page.ctx=cat221.tam

Contact these companies to be sure what to order; i.e., MAF (Man-A-Fre) has manual with Toyota part numbers in their part numbers, but SOR does not. Also, check with local dealer who may be able to get these manual as well.

These manuals have stuff in them that u will not find anywhere else. The #98154 (& 98154E) manual will show the combination meter internal connections, but not the pin out to the round 12 pin connector. Not really what u want, I know, but good stuff anyhow.

Now for the hard part: I have a document sheet [32 inches X 24] with the schematic and wiring diagrams on it. This is for a 1979-80 FJ40 USA spec and came with the FJ40. It has the following document part numbers in the lower right corner:

00820-90302
    82210-90627
    82210-90628
    82220-90304
    82370-90314
    82215-90302-A
    82420-90335
    82470-90309

Finding this sheet might be a real PITA. It may come with the 1980 "Maintenance Procedures" manual Part No. 98231.

This is the pin out for the round 12 pin connector:

The keyway on the connector points to pin 3. Pin 3 is blank. Symbols like WB means body of wire is WHITE with a BLACK stripe.

Pin 1 METER (-) WB
    Pin 2 Unknown YB
    Pin 3 BLANK --
    Pin 4 METER (+) LR
    Pin 5 FUEL GAUGE YR
    Pin 6 WATER YG(Y)
    Pin 7 HIGHBEAM RY
    Pin 8 BLANK
    Pin 9 TURN RH GY
    Pin 10 BLANK
    Pin 11 TURN LH GB
    Pin 12 METER LITE RB

Hope fully this prints ok on the web.

10. phobos0001

phobos0001

oooh thankyou soo much dfmorse! thats exactly what i needed! thanks!

11. ranger

ranger

You can easily trace the circuit path on the back of the cluster and find out which pin goes to what.

12. phobos0001

phobos0001

thanks ranger, but i tried that and failed misserably, by the way thanks again dfmorse, that jem of info did the trick, cheers!

13. mo_fj40

mo_fj40

20 bucks and a ride, and you can have the harness i just took out of my fj40. i unplegged everything and didnt cut anything.

thats about all the tech i can give. i normally order a new harness from a supplier i have, then go from there, new style fuses and high temp labeled wiring. they normally run about 200.00 and im done in a day.

14. phobos0001

phobos0001

thanks for your help everyone, the dash works a treat now, cheers

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">