Magnaflow spun catalytic converters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I have looked far and wide for the answer to my question but haven't found it. My cats are toast and need replacing and i want to use the magnaflow cats PN# 51656 which are OEM grade spun cats. Since colorado does a visual check i need two inline. i just wanted to know if anyone has used these successfully without throwing codes and with passing emissions? thanks and hopefully this is my last emissions/exhaust question!

edit: heres a link to said cat: http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/51656/10002/-1?parentProductId=2867855

Last edited:
Cheaper here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008E0XMDA/?tag=ihco-20

And Exhaust City USA are good people. My volkswagen came with an ebay 3" downpipe with no catalyst. I have to pass visual and OBD so i bought a catalyst from those guys. Then i changed my mind and got a different one -- they were very good about the return and exchange even though months had passed since i ordered it.

JEGS saying that it is a california catalyst is both factually incorrect and dangerously misleading. Those poor bastards in california have to have a catalytic converter that was designed according to the specific executive order that their car was designed under. You literally have to search for a catalytic converter for your vehicle (which may or may not turn out to fit several similar vehicles). The linked cat is a 49-state cat.

Anyway, on my 2007 GTI, adding a spun 49-state magnaflow did not perceptibly degrade performance vs. no catalyst.

All that being said, three concerns:

1: Since you have an OBD2 vehicle you have a post-cat o2 sensor which tests catalytic converter efficiency and will throw a CEL (and fail OBD2 test) if the catalytic converter is not working within the original factory range. I would be concerned about welding it in there and discovering that it doesn't do the trick and the CEL light keeps coming on unless you install an o2 sensor spacer, which is illegal and will fail visual.

2: Check the dimensions vs. the original cats. They might not fit side by side, fabrication may be needed.

3: no integrated heat shield. You may need to fabricate a heat shield for these.

Magnaflow has a direct-fit solution for $toomuch and recommends the 99006HM (x2) universal fit at about the same price each. federal emissions.

iirc Flowmaster has a direct-fit solution as well, and i think some people here have used it.

also fwiw the eensy spun catalyst i had welded in is only good for OBD2 test for about 3-5 days, so if i want the light to stay off i have to reinstall the o2 spacer, and if i want to pass visual i have to take it back out. I'm annoyed at myself because the much bigger catalyst i initially bought might have worked better.

i know the cat isnt technically legal in CA but the OEM 50 state reference means it has more heavy metals than just the the regular spun cat so i thought it would reduce emissions a bit better as i am failing emissions because of NOx, im at 4.1 out of the 3 gpm limit. the only reason for going with the spun cats vs the original replacements from magnaflow is size i thought the smaller size would be nice! and i might be able to package the exhaust up better, but my MAIN concern is the cat being able to reduce my NOx levels and that is doesnt throw a code.

I am running a single 59956 on my 95. I remade the exhaust over the frame and put a new rear O2 sensor since the old one broke in half. I passed emissions in MD a few days after I put it on, since it's a 95 and not officially OBDII they do a sniff test. It has been about 7 months and 7k miles and with the brand new Denso rear sensor it hasn't thrown a Catalyst efficiency code.

I made a over the frame exhaust for my 96 80 and I also use a 59956. The thing is tiny. I have one the is anlged 30 degree on the way out. Been about 10k miles and only through a code for a bad 02 which I replaced with OEM and went away. The old 02's where original. I passed emissions with flying colors with this setup in CT.

I would thinkg two of these things inline would be MORE than enough. They are relatively cheap also

Pic from my build
IMAG0904.jpg

Link to the 59956

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Magnafl...ter-High-Flow-Spun-Metallic-Cat-/170862884170

Last edited:
My experience, here in Commirado, is that Magnaflow spun cats will not pass emissions. Our levels are pretty darn strict and I installed the Magnaflow cats for the exact reasons you have. It failed multiple times and now I have to come up with something different when my tags are due in November. You will also have to have 2 cats, they were very thorough with their inspection and knew this.

406976_719298099403_72203123_34085696_329065063_n.jpg

^^^^That sucks. Do they make a set of cats that small that will pass your emissions standards?

I guess one good thing about Ct is the lack of strict auto laws.

I'm lucky and don't have to go through the sniffer test here in NC. I have one of the magna flow spun cats and it would throw a CEL code PO420... insufficient cat.

So i ended up buying a rear o2 simulator module from lilevo which worked like a charm.

The Magnaflow spun converters are meant for race use where catalytic converters are required. They will not pass most sniffer tests.

well crap guys, i hate CO...landcruiser were never meant to pass these SUPER strict emissions tests...... im wondering if a single regular mesh cat and a secondary spun cat behind it would do the trick. that would save some space, allow me to keep two cats and hopefully pass emissions. what a pain in the arse!

The Magnaflow spun converters are meant for race use where catalytic converters are required. They will not pass most sniffer tests.

Im pretty sure spun cats were not meant for race use, highflow cats are meant for race use but not spun. have you looked inside a spun cat? i think our stock cats would flow better!

Sorry I was thinking the spun race converters.
Magnaflow part numbers for 49 state converters:
Direct fit
23120 front
23622 rear
Msrp around $500 for both

Universal
99006HM front & rear
Msrp around $200 for both

I usually use summit for the free shipping

Last edited:
Well i picked up 2 99006HM catalytic converters and a new magnaflow muffler from amazon which i should be getting this thursday and hopefully i can have it put on friday. i decided to forgo the spun cats because i need to get this thing to pass emission and i didnt want to take any chances.

i would highly suggest that any of you who do not have to pass the sniff test to get as high flow as possible and then buy the rear 02 simulator from lilevo. Works great.

Im buying a direct fit front and weld on rear cat magnaflow and should pass ca emissions at least that's what the muffler guy said it will. I have a single cat factory with no second and it pass emissions but no viz test so that's why I'm upgrading

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom