MAF for 1991 land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, Whose bought an MAF recently for a 1991 fj80 ? Did you use one from a 1993 Camry ? Where did you get one and was it new? Thanks, Mike

If I remember correctly there are 7 wires. Starting from the left side we test wires 4,5,6. Testing for volts,ground and vaf signal. Is that correct? Thanks, Mike

I read a few things on it last few days and just bought one for 93 camera v6. For it off rock auto. I’m running out of things to replace on mine to make it run right lol

If I remember correctly there are 7 wires. Starting from the left side we test wires 4,5,6. Testing for volts,ground and vaf signal. Is that correct? Thanks, Mike
Air Flow Meter connection has 6 active pins on a 7 pin connector.
Pin 1 GND
Pin 2 fuel pump logic
Pin 3 N/C
Pin 4 +12 logic from ECU
Pin 5 ECU logic GND
Pin 6 AFM door flap position (variable resistance)
Pin 7 thermistor for IAT

Pins 1-2 is the fuel pump logic switch. This is closed when the flap starts to move and fires the secondary coil in the circuit opening relay.
4,5,6 Is your variable resistor for the flap, with 6 as the armature.

A failed AFM can result in no CEL if there are internal fractures or shorts in the wiring. It can also result in the engine firing briefly during starter cranking, and then stalling because the flap in the AFM is not firing the secondary coil in the circuit opening relay.
If you're not firing at all with the CEL illuminated, then it is not related to the AFM.

Have you checked for spark?
Are you getting fuel to the rail?

AFM.JPG

Last edited:
Fuel yes, spark is week and orange-reddish .

Jon I replaced plugs,cap,rotor. Mike

Found an igniter . So the 1993 Camry one worked ? Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike, I was curious if the 1993 Camary MAF worked? Just had mine fail this week and in the endless search for a replacement.

What were the symptoms on the failure? How did you diagnose it?

Truck is at the lake in Arkansas. Ran the tests in the repair manual on all electrical components. However it’s been a few weeks ago and I don’t remember specifics. Going back up soon and will also try a new Toyota rebuilt ecu out of Canada. Truck won’t start ,just turns over,getting fuel. Truck quit running and blew the hose under the water pump during a severe rain storm. Never started again. Just have had not enough time to work on it. Mike

Well finally back up working. On the 1991. Battery, rotor,dist. Cap., spark plugs and wires,ecu,fuseable links,coil, igniter, all new. Distributor checks out ok. Changed mass air flow sensor and hose to it. Cranks but won’t even attempt to start. Never had this happen to 20 plus cruisers. Mike

Forgot fuel pump and filters new. I can’t find any short or rubbing in the wiring.

I added the Cardone 74-20070 to my 91 yesterday and it seems to run fine. Little concerned about the engine running lean since it's meant for a smaller engine. No check engine lights though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom