M416 Trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tailgate progress

Not much to see but a little progress. Welded in the vertical brace to the outside of the tub and the bolt flange to the sliders. Squared up the tailgate and trying to get the sides of the trailer straight-ish... not too easy. Ran out of welding wire, so off to spend more money! Springs are ready for pick up to, still have to decide on spring shackles, plate or C???
photo 2(2).jpg
photo 1(1).jpg

Swingout tailgate and reinforced sides!

Very exciting today. Tim aka PhotoGod and I finished the tailgate and tacked on the hinges. finished stiffening the tub sides. Purchased taillights, more welding wire,... Here is the proposed latch assembly, stolen from an aluminum truck box that I can sell on Craigslist, so pillaged it shall be. I need to flip the top hinge around because the washer is held on by the male which is on the top section, not a big deal, but won't get lost as easily.
photo 1 (2).jpg
photo 2(3).jpg
photo 3.jpg

I'm only mentioned as a "support group" member because I bring beer and a Buger King breakfast. What more do you need?!

Love the swing out!

I'm only mentioned as a "support group" member because I bring beer and a Buger King breakfast. What more do you need?!

I used to eat at my Buger King when I was a kid. I stopped after my friends started making fun of me...:eek:

The build is coming along nicely. I am a fan of the swing gate, too.

Thanks guys. I'm sure you saw from the sketches, but the sliders will get gear mounted on them, gas cans, propane, maybe a battery box or expanded steel wood bin.

Weld and grind, weld and grind

Well, I've been doing alot of welding grinding, not much to show. Correction, I've been doing alot of welding and PhotoGod "Tim" has been doing a $h!t ton of grinding! Now we have something to show! Woohoo progress!

Randy, at R and R Springs made me beautiful new main leafs, Success! I didn't have to throw away almost perfect spring pack and I was able to use a really cool fabricator that really knows his junk!
Randy pressed in new bushings so that I can make my own shackles whatever length I need and not need to use C-shackles. He also bent u-bolts for $6 a piece!!! Here you can see the ubots being bent, the springs and the springs painted. Thank you yet again, Master of the Rattle Can, aka Tim.
photo 2(5).jpg
photo 5(2).jpg
photo 4(3).jpg

Last edited:
Watching Paint dry...

While the paint is drying, not much else is going on, but there is a little.

Braced the reciever in the rear of the trailer frame. This thing should be rated for about 5000lbs:D (estimates are for entertainment purposes only)

The pin will be accessible under the trailer. I doubt I'll be tandem towing,:D, but I wanted a recovery point for the rear of the trailer. I have had to find interesting ways around obstacles to get to tow worthy points on a vehicle just to avoid pulling on the trailer, this is now equipt. I will probably mount a clevis into it. Maybe a bike rack.
photo 2(6).jpg
photo 1(4).jpg

Finally an update!

Well, I've been pretty busy lately, mostly with a Tacoma bumper prototype that can be seen in the Taco section on here and helping PhotoGod with his trailer refresh.

My trailer has sat neglected for a bit, but now its deadline time. I must have it finished by Nov. 20th for the Midwest Mountaineering Expo.

Reassembly so that I can build the shackles for the correct height.
73136_158585440845157_110490778987957_251802_6411043_n.jpg

We made some shackles for the ol' gal out of 5/16th bar stock, huge!
73165_158585497511818_110490778987957_251804_7184055_n.jpg

Ready to mock up for rack at the appropriate height.

Thanks, fishpro. I am too. for me to do my rack I need to raise some funds, then it will be ready for paint and ready to roll. So, it may hibernate for a couple weeks.

Looks like you're having a good time!! cheers

I wish! Hopefully after Xmas I'll have some spare cash to throw at it. The only progress i've made lately has been rolling it 10ft. Not very exciting. I'm still waivering on what to do for the rack lifting mechanism. It's between $240 for 8 gas struts and locking pins, or $600 for hydraulic... or somewhere in between for an unpretty setup, which I am not too keen on.

Save the money bro and get exactly the way YOU want it...you'll never regret it, even if you spend a few extra bucks on it!

:beer:

Pat,

So you're sayin', go with the $600 dollar hydro setup with the spinning dancers pole on the front??? I'm not kidding about the hydro, but maybe about the dancers pole ;) .

I still need the Max Coupler, tires, drawer slides,... and maybe a new place to live, ugh!

But how would I have time to work in the shop then? Starting an overland outfitter is a lot of work. And corporate jobs get in the way of starting a fun new company!!!

Pat,

So you're sayin', go with the $600 dollar hydro setup with the spinning dancers pole on the front??? I'm not kidding about the hydro, but maybe about the dancers pole ;) .

I still need the Max Coupler, tires, drawer slides,... and maybe a new place to live, ugh!

well...just don't strap yourself, but if our planning on hanging on to this for a season or two and using it, you may find more peace of mind with the better system

pole up front may be a nice investment though....:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom