M416 new lift springs or extended shackles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are some outstanding builds on here that are fun to read, but I need some part numbers or recommendations to lift my trailer a little to increase the clearance on the new tires. I’m pulling it out west again next week. 😁 Thanks

3445CE43-EA46-475D-BC53-5E9268F37A52.jpeg

There are some outstanding builds on here that are fun to read, but I need some part numbers or recommendations to lift my trailer a little to increase the clearance on the new tires. I’m pulling it out west again next week. 😁 Thanks

Alcan can make any custom spring you need, most trailer suppliers will likely have springs in their catalogs that will work, and shackles can be found from the same suppliers

I did this twice, two different methods. First, the M416 shares shackles with the civilian Jeeps of the same era (CJ3s, I believe) and you can -or could, back when I did this- buy longer than stock shackles that will give you a bit of a lift. The aftermarket shackles are "H-shaped" vs. the stock M416 "C-shaped" shackles. I towed my M416 all over East Coast trails in that configuration.

Eventually, I wanted it to match the Land Cruiser's tires and wheels so I sprung it over. To do this I bought a custom axle that matched the width of the FJ62 axles, and it was as easy as sitting on the trailer on it's butt, unbolting the stock axle, sliding it out, and then mounting the new axle. I'll see if I can rustle up some photos of this. In the new configuration the trailer rode level with the truck (I also extended the tongue) and I towed it all over the place again. Unfortunately, I sold it after some life changes and have regretted it ever since.

Just swap the axle to the other side of the springs. Takes about 1.634 minutes. ;) I have literally done this twice at the trailhead when guys showed up with ass dragging 416s.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom