m416 Hub conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what i learned before ordering an entire new axle is this:

you CAN adapt the hub to a different pattern, However, you cannot add a lug, so if you have 5 you cant change to 6.

In the end, i just went with a new axle. IMHO on a trailer this light , you shouldnt need brakes. drive responsibly and you'll have your increased stopping distance.

any chance you have the specs on exactly what you ordered? I'm wanting to order an axle to swap my 315/75 spare tires on stock FJ80 rims onto my M416, but I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what to order. I know I need a new axle and will do a SOA swap, but I need the axle specs, width etc. I might be able to go down to my local trailer shop and have them figure it out, but they are really expensive. I would rather order online and save some cash. I can't justify going in there and having them figure out what I need, then ordering online. That's just not cool

I also ordered a custom axle with standard hubs that matched the pattern of my FJ62 and with the same width as the Cruiser's axle. I wanted standard 3,500 lb. trailer hubs that could be easily rebuilt anywhere in the US with parts from an auto parts store vs. the military ones, and the replacement axle was a bit lighter than the original axle. I did a spring-over axle conversion when I replaced the axle and replaced the military spec C-shaped shackles with aftermarket H-shaped shackles (Con-Ferr at the time) from a CJ3 jeep. Pulled that trailer all over the country and into Mexico and on a ton of mild-to-medium trails with no issues.

any chance you have the specs on exactly what you ordered? I'm wanting to order an axle to swap my 315/75 spare tires on stock FJ80 rims onto my M416, but I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what to order. I know I need a new axle and will do a SOA swap, but I need the axle specs, width etc. I might be able to go down to my local trailer shop and have them figure it out, but they are really expensive. I would rather order online and save some cash. I can't justify going in there and having them figure out what I need, then ordering online. That's just not cool
Sorry it's been too long since I built that. I've moved on to using timbren axle-less suspension with Toyota lug pattern for my trailers. They are about 12-1400$ but totally worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom