M105A Trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys! New member here. I don't own a Land Cruiser, but I work on them a bunch for c2dfj45 at C2 Design in Tampa, FL.

I've always been into camping and traveling, and have always tried to make whatever vehicle I own into an all-in-one type vehicle. Well, I now have a family, so the build needed to expand!

I picked up this new-old-stock Marine Corp M105A trailer from a guy in South Florida and got to work. I always loved the small overland trailers that people built, but I wanted something a bit bigger to fit all my gear.

First things first, the GIANT axle and wheel combo had to go. It weighed, i'm assuming, close to a million pounds. It was also so tall, that even my lifted F250 couldn't get the tongue level.

UPRn8Fl.jpg

6Hiz2CJ.jpg

WS8UxwO.jpg

Next, I had ordered a custom 7k lb axle with electric brakes. I measured it no less than 3 times and even confirmed my measurements with others who built similar trailers. Apparently, though, I didn't take into account the width of the brake drums, since others opted to NOT use brakes.

That turned out to be a poor oversight on my part

YfLbVYA.jpg

NuAe8dE.jpg

tn0pwcz.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there were no pictures on me, hungover, cutting a brand new axle in half, sleeving it with 1/4" wall pipe, and welding it all back together.

But, from there, I sent the trailer down to my good friend that's always built my race car roll cages. I had him bend up some DOM roll cage tubing for an overhead cage mount for my RTT.

llpmSuq.jpg

EkZwTRH.jpg

f39MDCz.jpg

As I had done with the steel wheels, I had the bars powder coated in texture black. From there, I set about to bolt on my tent and, for now, installed my Cargo Glide in the back. The Cargo Glide will eventually make its way back into my truck bed and a drawer system will go onto the trailer.

uG9bbpX.jpg

I picked up two of each size of these Plano totes. They were perfect for my current needs.

jcTtG0Z.jpg

Our first outing in the rig was the trip that I proposed to my now wife. It worked perfectly for what it is.. for now!
foXmlhs.jpg

BYKZFBR.jpg

2wuI13P.jpg

dG1dNFE.jpg

From here, I now have a closet of parts to be installed hopefully before Overland Expo East 2018.

I've got 200W of solar, a controller, a battery bank, wiring, etc. These will run new LED lighting, a Dometic 65qt fridge, radio and more. I also have an 'ostrich wing' 270 degree awning on its way from South Africa. Also to be installed are a water tank, shower unit, pumps, etc.

I'm pretty excited about trying to come up with a nice kitchen setup, too. Future aesthetic plans are to paint the trailer in grey U-Pol to match my truck and LED tail lighting.

Nice! I've got several of the 105s and as you know that landing leg can be a finger breaker, not to mention a ton weight. Are you planning to enclose the bed?

That front gear is a monster! Haha

I do plan on going custom rubber coated tarps over the upper frame to enclose it from the elements

40 oz Vinyl Coated Tarps - Extreme Duty

These guys will build you whatever size and shape tarp you want. I'm thinking flat for the front, up to a trapezoid shape for the front of the cage. then, one that drapes over the cage itself and snaps/ropes down, and a trapezoid one for the end by the trailer's tail gate. that way my fridge and everything is pretty much out of the elements, stuff is *somewhat* secure, but everything it still easily accessed.

Hey guys! New member here. I don't own a Land Cruiser, but I work on them a bunch for c2dfj45 at C2 Design in Tampa, FL.

I've always been into camping and traveling, and have always tried to make whatever vehicle I own into an all-in-one type vehicle. Well, I now have a family, so the build needed to expand!

I picked up this new-old-stock Marine Corp M105A trailer from a guy in South Florida and got to work. I always loved the small overland trailers that people built, but I wanted something a bit bigger to fit all my gear.

First things first, the GIANT axle and wheel combo had to go. It weighed, i'm assuming, close to a million pounds. It was also so tall, that even my lifted F250 couldn't get the tongue level.

UPRn8Fl.jpg

6Hiz2CJ.jpg

WS8UxwO.jpg

Next, I had ordered a custom 7k lb axle with electric brakes. I measured it no less than 3 times and even confirmed my measurements with others who built similar trailers. Apparently, though, I didn't take into account the width of the brake drums, since others opted to NOT use brakes.

YfLbVYA.jpg

NuAe8dE.jpg

tn0pwcz.jpg

Hi TaylorDurdan,

After you cut the axle, what was the hub to hub measurement with electric brakes? What rim and tire setup are you running on the trailer?

Thanks, Drew

I don't remember the final width as these pictures are from 2016, but I will be working on it again soon and I'll measure it.

I do know that I had ordered it at 78" wide and i *think* I cut out about 18" (if not more) from it. The leaf spring centers are 40" on center.

Pretty sure the wheels were just 8 lug steel wheels from Summit and the tires are 33s maybe? I keep the trailer across town in storage when not using it. I'll have more answers soon, sorry

UPRn8Fl.jpg

6Hiz2CJ.jpg

WS8UxwO.jpg

YfLbVYA.jpg

NuAe8dE.jpg

tn0pwcz.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Hi,

What is the bolt pattern on your axle? What rims/tire setup are you running? What is the bore center diameter on the rim?

I am having trouble find an axle that will work with truck rims/tires becuase of the spindle diameter on trailer axles. Any advice would be awesome.

Best,

Drew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom