LX470 With Coil over suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took my lx470 in to a mechanic because I was having suspension problems. Usually when the car first started it would be a little bumpy but you would hear the air pump going and soon the ride quality would turn to normal. after a while The car ride was very bumpy and would oscillate when hitting small bumps. I wouldn't hear the air pump either. After looking around here I thought it must be the AHC system.

The mechanic said that It was the AHC module and I would be better off to replace it with a passive system. My mechanic showed me two springs for 100 dollars and said that's all I would need. I did some research and found Strutmasters $499 conversion kit. Thinking the Strutmasters would provide a better ride then just replacing the airbags with springs and that I would be better off with all new struts I pulled the trigger on them. I just talked to the mechanic and looked at my car. He showed me how that there were Coilovers on the front and the front shocks I purchased wouldn't fit because they do not except a coil. Looking here a coil over shocks are rare for this truck. I didn't see the torsion bars that everyone is talking about either. It must be running on coilovers?? I don't have a lot of money to keep this truck moving but I love it and want to fix it. Should I just send the strutmasters back and only get the two springs?

Thanks

In order to remove the AHC system and replace with conventional suspension you will need 4 conventional shocks, 2 torsion bars, and 2 rear springs.... all for non-AHC 100 series models. OEM parts are an option, and many aftermarket options.

Your truck wouldn't be running coil overs in the front, and you wouldn't be putting coil overs in. There isn't actually a coil for the front. You'll have a hydraulic 'shock' and a torsion bar under the truck. The torsion bars run in the middleish of the truck, front to back. You can see them if you look under on either side. They are the 'spring' for the front.

Last edited:
Post picture.

I would change mechanic. For him to say such a thing means he never even bent his knee to look under the truck. Show your new guy this website and get back to us. Good luck with everything

Never say never...it is possible it has coil overs...

Don't I recall some Russians that were playing with the idea of replacing the torsion bars on an AHC vehicle with a "coil over" type spring:

Unlikely that you have this, but I guess it is always possible.

Even if you didn't, the strutmaster kit is really a half assed solution, as it expects you to reuse the AHC torsion bars, that really weren't intended to support the weight of the vehicle.

The AHC system doesn't consist of an air pump either.. It actually pumps fluid into and out of the shocks to raise and lower the vehicle. No air bags.

Unless this was all added aftermarket.

Show us some pics!

Some of y'all really think this guy has one of the, like 3, coil over conversions in the world in his truck along with AHC?

Some of y'all really think this guy has one of the, like 3, coil over conversions in the world in his truck along with AHC?

There's a lot more then 3 coil over conversions in the world for the 100. You can buy the kit in the Mud classifieds if you have deep pockets. I'm sure other people with fabrication skills have done it as well that we don't know about.
As stated, post a picture, that will settle it quickly.

Soo honest mistake I have a gx470 not an lx470 that would explain why I have coilovers.. cause I'm an idiot..

Soo honest mistake I have a gx470 not an lx470 that would explain why I have coilovers.. cause I'm an idiot..

That would also explain the "air pump" and "airbags", as the GX470 (and some 4th gen 4runners) did have airbags in the back.

Ah yes another reason to post pics of your rig when seeking specific advice. Carry on brah..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom