LX470 - Starting Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2002 LX470 w/297,500 miles on clock. Daily driver with no issues before sitting in driveway a couple of days. Went out and weak crank acted like dead battery. Started with a jump pack just fine. Battery getting kinda long in the tooth so figured it was bad. Went to Costco and bought a new Interstate Battery and brought it home to install. Upon install went to start and have lights etc, but turn key and no crank and all electrical shuts down. Put on jump pack and starts just fine. Drive around for a while and alternator charging fine and no apparent issues. Turn it off. Then try to start and no crank and electrical shuts down. 12.75 volts on battery without engine running.

Any idea on my issue?

Check the voltage on the battery when the engine is running. I'm thinking it should be 14 volts if the charging system is working. First thing you wanna check is your negative terminal ground running along the side of the engine bay, not because it might fix the problem per se, but because it's just much easier to do. Then you might wanna check for a bad fusable link. Not sure if LX and LC cars use a fusable link though, but this problem happens on Hilux and IS series sometimes and the problem is that the ground on the fusable link shorts out/breaks off and you have to replace it. In some instances (this also happened on my '04 LX470) the car will start but there will be no electrical power. No power windows, no headlights, no turn signals, no dash lights, and to shift out of park you'd need to hold the shift lock button. I can't remember how we fixed it on my LX (i was a kid) but on IS and Hilux cars it's the fusable link. You should be able to find it in one of the fuse boxes.

Sounds very much like a 'ground' issue of some sort. Check all connections and grounds first, then move on to Fuses and Fuseable links.

Sounds very much like a 'ground' issue of some sort. Check all connections and grounds first, then move on to Fuses and Fuseable links.
Thanks @flintknapper Battery terminals are clean and tight. When I get home from work I‘ll look at ground’s and fuses.

Voltage reads across battery terminals is 12.75 volts and voltage reads positive battery terminal to body ground next to battery at 14 volts. Should that lead me anywhere?

Well I think that means your ground is good, but I'm pretty sure your electrical system is still dead because if not the voltage across the terminals while the car is running should be 14 volts also. Take off the ground (just that little bolt right there) and sandpaper that ground contact and put it back to see if that fixes the issue (it has helped me in the past). If not then it's likely your fuseable link.

Still haven't figured out my starting problem. Haven't broken down and taken it to a repair shop yet. Gonna try posting a video of my issue and see if that helps any of you with my diagnosis....

Do a warranty replacement on that Costco battery.

If an alternate current source can start the rig (you jump pack), then all signs point to a battery issue.

Do a warranty replacement on that Costco battery.

If an alternate current source can start the rig (you jump pack), then all signs point to a battery issue.

Good to check with another known to be good battery, but the extra 'jump' can also push past a poor connection or ground, worth checking also.

Most likely your battery. This should be 100% a bad battery. The battery supplies juice for the dash door light and security light, but then when you go to start, it dies upon trying to work the starter, then it can't power any lights anymore due to it being dead and you go "lights out." Then you connect the jumper and it gets power to light things up, you run the car, alternator charges it, battery thinks it has good charge and may even start the car on its own once, but then you try again and you will go lights out. Change the battery.

(P.S. my [dad's] ford expedition does the EXACT same thing after it's battery has lasted about 3 years, battery indicator is good, everything lights up, once you go to start the car, you might not even get a click, just dead, like there's no battery, put a jumper on it, and it starts right up, turn engine off, remove jumper, repeat, rinse, repeat).

Last edited:
Start issue is resolved. First thing I did when issue started was clean battery terminals and put dielectric grease on them. Then at some point looked at ground at fender next to battery and it didn’t look corroded. I had moved on from those items as it seemed like something more involved was going on. As a last ditch effort, before taking it to a repair shop, this morning I cleaned battery terminals again really good and took ground wire at fender off and ran a brass brush over it. Turned the key and she started. Kinda embarrassed it was that simple, but hopes this helps someone else at some point.

Thanks to those that chimed in with suggestions @Chibu @flintknapper and @ramangain

Crazy stuff happens to these cars when they just ain't getting that much needed current lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom