LX470 Noise?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
‘99 Lx470 has developed a noise that sounds like it’s coming from the front passenger side anytime I go over a bump, pull into a driveway, or go over a rough road at slow speeds—basically whenever the front right tire is moving up/down at slower speeds. It’s almost a loud click or knocking sound, not so much a rattle. It sounds more “plastic” vs “metal” if that make sense. I can’t say for certain but it seems to happen more when the car is cold, although I’ve heard it when the car has been running a while too.

It’s driving me nuts and I’ve run through the car, put clamps on the heat shields, rebooted leaky CV axle, looked at all the previous threads here about noises, repacked the bearings and it’s still there. The worst part is that when I drive it to the mechanic the sound seems to disappear and they can’t recreate it (or so they say).

Anyone have a similar problem or idea of what to check? I feel like it could be something really simple that I’m just missing.

It could be the bracket holding the anti-sway bar. Its rusts out from AC drip at about 125-175k miles. More info on my post here. Most shops will miss it unless they have it up on a lift.

This problem is often associated with the sway bar links, and it's common on a lot of different types of cars. That would be a good place to start, but it could bushings or a variety of other steering parts.

I would get it on a lift or up on jack stands to see if any parts have play in them. It doesn't take much play at all to cause a lot of racket when going over bumps.

Thanks for the help everyone. Sway bar links was my first guess so I’ll try to get it up and have a look myself since the shop can’t find anything. Will give an update once I figure it out in case anyone else is having the same issue.

I've got the mystery bumps. I think it's my lower ball joints as the boots are torn, but it's such a loud rattle. I recently changed out the sway bar and bushings and it all seemed tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom