LX470 No throttle response, idles then LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an LX470 1998, it died going to the carwash then restarted, went through carwash and leaked through sunroof, drove for about 100metres and died. Now starts idles for about 30 seconds and start idling up and down before stopping. The accelerator does nothing until it is almost flat to the floor, then it opens butterfly and sometimes revs most of the time gets a gutful of air and conks out. Pulled codes 41 and 89. 41 suggest TPS but cannot find a code 89 anywhere. Also it's in australia so not obd2. APPS seems to fluctuate a lot and only sometimes gets power to the throttle control motor but does not power the magnetic clutch to engage it. I'm thinking about replacing the whole throttle assembly or ecu. anyone had this issue or know what code 89 is? Thanks

It sounds like the APPS to me.
You might be able to get a used throttle assembly from a scrapper, I would not replace the ECU.
If it clears up in a few days after drying out then it is because of the water leak.

How much water leaked? What side?

water ran down both sides of the pillars, car sat for a month while I was away at work and still has same problem. I thought the water to start with, but then because it died before the carwash I started thinking maybe apps. I removed the ecu and it was dry inside no signs of water. Had an auto electrician run some checks and he was unsure about the apps because it fluctuated a lot, also said he thinks ecu. Just got a call back for a complete throttle assembly so will pick that up in the next hour and give it a go. fingers crossed.

Replaced throttle assembly, car started and ran good, throttle responded great. Lasted about a minute then died, was a hum coming from the apps I unplugged it and it stopped. Started it again and same thing ran good for about a minute and died. Now won't even fire.

Whats involved in replacing ecu? Is it as simple as swapping it out or do I need to reprogram the key, or can i swap the heads on the key?

To swap the ecu either you will have to find one that comes with the key, or you will have to get it revirginized.

I offer preprogrammed eeproms for free if you want to try one I will send you one. These make it easy to use an ebay ecu. Just unsolder the old one and replace with mine only takes about 5 minutes. What is the part number on your ecu? I do have a virginized ecu for 98-99 for sale.

Don't replace the ECU, you're going to regret it.

You're in the north east of Australia correct? What's the weather like? Hot and humid? Cold and dry? Rainy season? Snow? Desert?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom