LX470 '06 headlight upgrade! Glass/polycarb and LED or HID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, the LX has the factory projectors (I assume it’s still the original one from factory) and you want better output? With the moisture inside, first thing is to fully inspect the headlight assembly, hopefully there’s no holes/cracks. You may end up needing to crack open the lens from the assembly. Since you have it opened already you now have different options.
• Option 1: block off the squirrel finder holes, or just leave it them as it is. Put on another set of reputable LED bulbs.
• Option 2: put on an HID system - different brands, different color temperatures and different ballast wattage.
• Option 3: full retro work, pull the factory project lens, put on an aftermarket bracket to accommodate the aftermarket projector lens you have selected. Match it with a good light source, can be HID system or LED bulb, whatever floats your boat.
• Option 4: inline with option 3, you can opt for an bi-focal LED projector (meaning no need to put in an HID system nor an LED bulb) because that LED projector has an integrated light source.

These are just some of the options you can consider, the rabbit hole of HL retrofitting is deep :grinpimp:
Wow lots to look into here, Red Pill Blue Pill!
I noticed also that my lenses on muly 2002 LX Look much better than my current 2006, Same terrible output tho.

Of the options you gave, what's the most low impact route to take if I'm a DIY guy, say a one banana job?

I've done a couple of retrofits on LX470 headlights now and thoroughly recommend the full retro. It's a lot of work but well worth it. Most frustrating part is dealing with the sticky butyl sealant but the results are night and day even compared to just a HID/LED bulb. If you're going to open the lenses up to deal with the squirrel finders you may as well just go the whole hog.

Not sure about the bi-LED options but do like that I can change the bulb if anything goes wrong with the lens retrofit.
Nice, do you have a write up or demo on equipment and install? For such a legendary vehicle, the lighting is one of the biggest head scratchers ..

Wow lots to look into here, Red Pill Blue Pill!
I noticed also that my lenses on muly 2002 LX Look much better than my current 2006, Same terrible output tho.

Of the options you gave, what's the most low impact route to take if I'm a DIY guy, say a one banana job?
I may be wrong but your 02 may have the glass lens, your observation on the 06 was also the ready why I decided to go for the glass lens route, for added protection on the risk of the glass lens cracking in the event it gets hit with a rock I’ve added PPF.

1 :banana: job type of DIY I’d say easiest would be is to block off the squirrel finders. After you have cracked the lens from the assembly, reapply butyl sealant (lots of inexpensive options in amazon and video tutorials in YouTube on how it’s done) to address the condensation inside the housing.

Now for your light source, you can go for LED bulb or HID system. This option that I mentioned I think is easiest most convenient one and the least amount of $ involved. Good luck and keep us posted on your project.

I may be wrong but your 02 may have the glass lens, your observation on the 06 was also the ready why I decided to go for the glass lens route, for added protection on the risk of the glass lens cracking in the event it gets hit with a rock I’ve added PPF.

1 :banana: job type of DIY I’d say easiest would be is to block off the squirrel finders. After you have cracked the lens from the assembly, reapply butyl sealant (lots of inexpensive options in amazon and video tutorials in YouTube on how it’s done) to address the condensation inside the housing.

Now for your light source, you can go for LED bulb or HID system. This option that I mentioned I think is easiest most convenient one and the least amount of $ involved. Good luck and keep us posted on your project.
Yeah this seems a little fussy. Let me ask you, what do you think of the eBay aftermarket headlights? Maybe it's possible to upgrade the bulbs on this?: [Dual LED Halo]For 1998-2007 Lexus LX470 Angel Eye Projector Chrome Headlights | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/274038799986?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=M36zphOaRhK&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=DDm8j2M5RT6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

otherwise, yes I think my '02 had glass vs plastic.
Maybe I can search for glass replacement?

Yeah this seems a little fussy. Let me ask you, what do you think of the eBay aftermarket headlights? Maybe it's possible to upgrade the bulbs on this?: [Dual LED Halo]For 1998-2007 Lexus LX470 Angel Eye Projector Chrome Headlights | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/274038799986?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=M36zphOaRhK&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=DDm8j2M5RT6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

otherwise, yes I think my '02 had glass vs plastic.
Maybe I can search for glass replacement?
The housing may be new and shiny but the output is questionable. If your goal is to get the best output possible, the focus point is the projector and the light source.

I talked to a bunch of sales reps and watched a ton of YouTube videos. The common theme I got was the led technology has gotten a lot better recently and it was a better option than HID. I ordered some OEM glass headlights off eBay and will be putting led bulbs in. I'm waiting on my PPF film so not done yet but I went with Hikari 2023 H1 bulbs and was going to go with morimoto 2 stroke 3.0 for the 9005 but tried out some Fahren Kregis 2023. The reviews said they work with DRL and they were cheap. Here is a picture of the light output from my right side headlights vs stock setup.

View attachment 3324625

View attachment 3324626

View attachment 3324627

View attachment 3324628

I talked to a bunch of sales reps and watched a ton of YouTube videos. The common theme I got was the led technology has gotten a lot better recently and it was a better option than HID. I ordered some OEM glass headlights off eBay and will be putting led bulbs in. I'm waiting on my PPF film so not done yet but I went with Hikari 2023 H1 bulbs and was going to go with morimoto 2 stroke 3.0 for the 9005 but tried out some Fahren Kregis 2023. The reviews said they work with DRL and they were cheap. Here is a picture of the light output from my right side headlights vs stock setup.

View attachment 3324625

View attachment 3324626

View attachment 3324627

View attachment 3324628
Exactly which Fahren Kreigis did you get for your 9005 hi beam? Did they actually work with your DRL's?

I went with the Krieges Fahren 2023. My DRL do not work with them. I'm happy with the light output.
Thanks. Just to clarify, what exactly do you mean by "did not work." You get the high beams on DRL? Or what?

google.com/search?q=why+won%27t+my+LEDs+work+in+a+serise+curcuit&rlz=1C1RXQR_enUS1023US1023&oq=why+won%27t+my+LEDs+work+in+a+serise+curcuit&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIJCAEQIRgKGKAB0gEJMTcyMjFqMGo5qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

google.com/search?q=landcruiser+100+LEDs+Daytime+running+lights+site:forum.ih8mud.com&sca_esv=3ce1258c96567b3a&rlz=1C1RXQR_enUS1023US1023&sxsrf=ACQVn09sP0KTRD_FheFESs92BU-1T3yLMQ:1707993389186&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiQx_aZk62EAxVQIUQIHd7NAO0QrQIoBHoECBYQBQ&biw=1920&bih=929&dpr=1#ip=1

google.com/search?q=why+won%27t+my+LEDs+work+in+a+serise+curcuit&rlz=1C1RXQR_enUS1023US1023&oq=why+won%27t+my+LEDs+work+in+a+serise+curcuit&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIJCAEQIRgKGKAB0gEJMTcyMjFqMGo5qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

google.com/search?q=landcruiser+100+LEDs+Daytime+running+lights+site:forum.ih8mud.com&sca_esv=3ce1258c96567b3a&rlz=1C1RXQR_enUS1023US1023&sxsrf=ACQVn09sP0KTRD_FheFESs92BU-1T3yLMQ:1707993389186&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiQx_aZk62EAxVQIUQIHd7NAO0QrQIoBHoECBYQBQ&biw=1920&bih=929&dpr=1#ip=1
Thanks Jerry very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom