LX450 AC - Need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, this is my first post on the forum, but I've been a member for a long time. At the beginning of summer I purchased an LX450 from another member. It was in good shape, but needed some maintenance and love...More on all of that later.

One of the known issues was the AC. After studying the system, I found that the compressor was leaking. So, I replaced the compressor, dryer (the old dryer's desiccant bag was broken, saw some evidence throughout the system), and orifice tube and charged it up. It started cooling pretty well, but after about 5-10 minutes the compressor started cycling rapidly. It would be on for 10 seconds off for 2, on for 5 seconds off for 1, etc. It seemed to be related to high pressure. As the under hood temps rose it would begin the cycling. I found that running water over the condenser would prevent the cycling and seemed to make everything work. A set of manifold gauges showed too low on the low pressure side, and way to high on the high pressure side. So, I thought the condenser could have a blockage.

I put in a new condenser and used air to blow through the lines (no solvent though). I evacuated and charged it back up, and the system seemed to be working better, but still cycles every once and a while. The gauges still show too high of pressure on the high side and too low on the low side. (20psi, and ~350psi)

I think I still have a blockage. I've tried searching for the blockage by taking temp. readings along the lines with an IR thermometer. They all seem pretty constant with small increases or decreases except for one. Right after the Expansion valve the low pressure line has one junction while running parallel to the exhaust manifold. One the side closer to the firewall the temp reads ~220F, but on the side after the junction, closer to the compressor it jumps to ~320F. These temps are on the metal lines, not the rubber hose which is closer to the compressor.

....So, long story short, before I go back into the system, does anyone have any suggestions? Is the temp jump where my blockage is? Did I get a bad expansion valve? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance. I've always loved the wealth of knowledge and information on this forum.

So, I didn't make this very clear earlier, but I thought I got all of the desiccant out of the lines and system. When I broke everything open the first time, I noticed the loose balls at the original expansion valve. When I replaced the condenser, I checked at the new expansion valve and didn't see any remaining debris.
All that said, I'm a little worried that there might still be some somewhere, causing the higher pressure.

As it stands right now, it's cooling, but not it's not incredible. The air coming from the vent is around 65degrees.

Inkpot, any idea what your low pressure runs?

Been a couple years since I set it up. Guessing 30-40. I actually set the rpm up around 1800 on a hot day and just added /removed freon until it had the coldest vent temp.

One micro piece of desiccant can cause a blockage in the expansion valve and result in erratic pressures and it could easily have dislodged from another area in the system. Look for frost at the expansion valve, which there should be none, or anywhere else for that matter and that should help pinpoint the restriction. It's not any easy task to remove 100% of particles after a desiccant explosion. Imagine this- the early 2000's Honda CRV's were known for having compressors where the valves would shatter and distribute throughout the system. Nothing short of replacing the complete system would fix the problem in many cases- a very expensive endeavor. Not to scare you, but it would be a good idea to flush every component except the compressor, the drier and the expansion valve. Changing all of the "O" rings while you are at it and a long, deep vacuum would be the next recommendations. These things done correctly will ensure a good working, long lasting system- no shortcuts allowed. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom