LX front seat side panels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know how to remove the plastic side panels for the front seats without breaking them? I got the seat adjust knobs off and the small screws under them but starting pulling and felt like I was going to break whatever is holding them together? I want to pull the leather up a bit from the seat bolsters to smooth out some foam that is bunched up.

Thx

Get yourself a set of plastic trim tools and a pair of bull ring pliers (I think that’s what they’re called) in case you need to loosen or remove the leather cover. Probably will take some poking around and disassembly to figure out how it comes apart without breaking the plastic tabs. Take your time and take some pics for the rest of us if you’re willing. If you break it you’ll be able to get parts being that the seat is a wear item and parts should be available from the dealer.

I had the tools so went ahead and tackled this a few days ago and posting as GoISU suggested so others can learn from it hopefully. Here is the best order to disassemble IMO.
1. Pop off seat adjuster buttons on side panel - they pop right off but a plastic forked tool may be best to prevent breakage.
2. Unscrew the phillips screws behind each button.
3. Unscrew the screw on the back of the seat under the cover at the bottom. One screw right where you would expect on the backside of the seat holding the panel on the backside (see first photo with screwdriver on screw head - passenger side shown).
4. Unscrew a single screw underneath the front corner of the seat - may have to move seat forward so seat track isn't in the way See second photo shot from directly underneath the front corner of the seat).
5. If you want to take panels all the way off there is a second screw on the front inward side underneath - I was able to just swing the two attached panels towards the front to get at the seat cover attachment see third photo - passenger side shown).
6. The seat cover is attached with a black plastic push plug in a hole on the rear, a plastic sleeve type holder on the front and tucked under with more plastic pieces in the middle above the seat adjuster. See photos in second post.

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

Forgot to mention the plug to the adjuster to unplug. Shown here are the seat cover attachment points.

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

Here is what I found, the material between the leather and foam was bunched up on the bolsters, not sure why exactly but it is held like a spider web with multiple attachments. I sprayed a small amount of spray adhesive for foam to try and keep it in place and so far after a week or so it has stayed smooth. First photo here shows the bulge in the leather bolster and subsequent photos show the material, seat cover and foam.

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

Also if you want to separate the front and side panels you need to the whole assembly together as there are two screws that have to be accessed from the inside of the 90 joint. See red arrows in this photo, green arrow is screw that attaches on underside to hold it in place.

IMG_0105a.jpg

Not to hijack, but has anyone changed the filters for the ventilated seats?

I asked my dealership to do so about a year ago. They told me save my money - said they removed them washed them and put them back. I did not find any difference in the ventilation.

@JeffH Do you think the whole bottom seat cover can be removed with the seat still installed?

Is the bottom cover retained with anything other than the plastic channels? Like hog rings or any other fasteners?

@JeffH Do you think the whole bottom seat cover can be removed with the seat still installed?

Is the bottom cover retained with anything other than the plastic channels? Like hog rings or any other fasteners?
Not sure I just peeled up to fix the fabric underneath the bolsters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom