LX finally here.....and build up thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, George still makes the map lights and the dome lights. He stopped doing the doors a while back. The superbrightleds are not quite as bright as George's set up, but for the doors...IMO, who cares.

The Lightforces are extremely tough and the light output is easily adjustable -- the light can be rotated to adjust from wide to spot -- just like a Maglight flashlight can be adjusted by twisting the head. They sell different colored covers for the lights (a clear shatterproof cover comes with the lights) that you can snap on for other purposes. They're very bright too. I read quite a few reviews of the various lights available -- the lightforces consistently received very high reviews. As it turned out, a couple forum members where selling theirs just as I was beginning to shop for lights -- so I got a pretty good deal on mine.

kewl. Looks like your wife was so pissed she made you sleep in the truck? witness bedding in the back.....

LMAO....bedding is for our two Lab's that love to ride in the back....mainly to control the hair.

Sharp looking rig. Good color too :D. Looks like Mr. Gadget used to own that one.

As far as the rust, I've arrested some of what little I had, by grid it off with a dremel cutting wheel and steel brush, then popped it with a squirt of primer and some Rustoleum flat black rust "preventive" paint. Same thing with the rear hitch. Unmounted it, cleaned all the rust off as mentioned above, and laid the flat black Rustoleum to it. Looks as good as new. We'll see how it goes.

Congrats on the new rig.

:beer:
Rookie2

thanks for the heads up.....I was thinking that when i do the lift that would be a good time for some grinding and repainting to arrest any rust that has started. Like I said many of the parts that don't look great will be going (running boards, hitch, exhaust) and the rest sould be able to be fixed, the only problem might be broken bolts when I am working on things. Has anyone tried the POR 15? is it better than rustolium??

clarkrw3 said:
Has anyone tried the POR 15? is it better than rustolium??

You cannot compare the two. The Rustoleum actually works pretty good in converting the rust...I have used several cans on mine and am pleased. I too bought a $120 1-gallon can of POR-15 thinking that I might get "industrial" with it underneath. As a warmup, I painted a few other things with it to see how it worked. It is absolutely awesome but let me tell you, you cannot get it off of you or the garage floor after it dries. My advice if you are thinking about using it underneath is to go somewhere else and apply it. Wear a mask and have some solvent on hand for immediate cleanup. And get a couple of secondary containers....once you spill it into the lip of the can it locks the lid on. I had to flip the can over and use a can opener when I went to open it the second time.

Hello all

So phase 1 is underway. I have been working on some things while I have been waiting for my stuff to come from Slee, should pick it up tue or wed.
I removered the roof rack. Well most of it I still have the strips in the middle that I have been avoiding. Some one said they knew of a ball that you could put on your drill that would take it off by 3M I think. If any of you have any knowledge it would help. I plan on getting it Rhinoed, I am getting the guy's here in town to look at it this week, since the truck is black it shouldn't look too bad. I was surprised that I didn't have more trouble with the rack, after many applications of penitrating oil 14 of the 16 came out no problem, I had 2 spinners and the nut cert came out with the screw. Very little rust that I will clean up first and then get it rhinoed and I can stop thinking about it.
Next I worked on baselining the fluids. I changed the oil to 15k mobil1 and then started with the diffs ( how much fluid do they take anyway) I am low in the front so will have to get some more. I think they may never have been changed...pretty ransid smelling and thick. I hope that the nuckles aren't leaking, also it had a magnetic drain plug...is that normal or aftermarket?
I ordered a few things from Dan, I decided to start some PM for the SC to come so I got a new brass radiator and new fan clutch, along with a second battery tray.
I also put in the drivers seat extensions, which was a much bigger job than I thought it would be, but I love them and it is like a totally new truck and I finally fit in the drives position and am comfortable. I would recommend them for anyone that is tall, however plan on some serious install time for something that sound so simple, it is far from simple. alot of drilling and grinding etc.

I can take pictures if anyone is interested otherwise I will wait till I get the slee stuff in.

later
Rob

I got a whole bunch of stuff today from Dan and Cristo, so I thought I would post some teaser pics. Now if I could only find time to put it all on....anyone in the Phx area that would like to lend a hand ;) I also stopped by Rhino lining and set a appointment for next wednesday to have the roof rack holes fixed with lining. :cheers:

47b5d726b3127cce93bf4740871100000016108BZsmrlm4bq

47b5d726b3127cce93bf474c871d00000016108BZsmrlm4bq

47b5d726b3127cce93bf4737065600000016108BZsmrlm4bq

Finally got my diffinitive stock roof rack fix. Took it to the guys at Rhino Lining and they did a great job and now no rust issues and I have a nice pad if I ever strap anything up there. I am still trying to find time to put the lift on but have installed the ARB already.
47b5d735b3127cce945bd9d857f200000016108BZsmrlm4bq

clarkrw3 said:
Finally got my diffinitive stock roof rack fix. Took it to the guys at Rhino Lining and they did a great job and now no rust issues and I have a nice pad if I ever strap anything up there. I am still trying to find time to put the lift on but have installed the ARB already.
47b5d735b3127cce945bd9d857f200000016108BZsmrlm4bq

Hope you plan on paying T Y L E R royalties on that design. ;)

Man, that's a sharp looking rig. I know you got all the goodies for it ready to go, but i suggest you spend a month or two getting to know her in stock form. THat way when you start modifiying things you'll know how it is supposed to drive.

All those buttons make it look like some kind of gallactic headquarters.

THanks...Like I said I give Tyler the credit for the great idea!! I have had the truck for 6 wks or so and it will be a few more before I have time to tackle the syspension.....also I have driven my dad's 97 alot so that gives me a frame of reference. Also I have been working on all the pm stuff at the same time so that has slowed the mods down. I think of the roof rack as PM.

Hello all!
Well the lift has finally gone on. Everything went really well except for the brake lines, the 10mm fittings are somewhat corroded and they just want to round, I desided to take them to a brake shop that would have the parts to replace them if need be. I haven't addressed the steering stablizer yet. That was the biggest problem on my fathers lift so I have been putting it off. I hear that a air chizle helps it removing it ....I will try that. Also as I have posted in another thead I am not sure what to do with the proportioning valve for the 6"...I will call Christo on monday. The only part that I broke was one of the rear bump stop bolts, had the air gun up a little too high and staped it, which will need drilling and tapping...which i have never done before. I had the MTR's installed today and they look great!! the truck looked really stupid before them. I really can't say enough about how great this kit is!! I would have liked directions (which are in the works) but didn't need them, the rear only took about 3hrs by myself with only jack stands. I also will be installing the rear bumper and sliders asap ( when the wife lets me back into the garage) Tomarrow is shopping for the babies room.

I will post some poser pics soon!!!

here is a before pic
47b5ce29b3127cce942887a3b21700000016108BZsmrlm4bq

here is after lift no tires
47b5ce29b3127cce94288784330000000016108BZsmrlm4bq

After lift and tires poser pic
47b5ce29b3127cce94288795b22100000016108BZsmrlm4bq

Close up of the sweet control arms
47b5ce29b3127cce942887a9b21d00000016108BZsmrlm4bq

Here is a pic for those that said it wouldn't fit in the garage, I have a couple of inches and that is without the spare tire rear bumper and sliders etc. and it will settle a bit. no problem...however I was a little worried since it was one of the wife's conditions!!! so a few inches under 7ft
47b5ce29b3127cce942887afb21b00000016108BZsmrlm4bq

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom