LX finally here.....and build up thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some of you might remember from this thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=53691
The LX I picked up from NJ with 63k on it and lockers, wel it came yesterday...finally. So here is the good bad and ugly, and in the future I will document all my mods in this thread as the build up progresses.

Good:
The truck is as clean as advertised and very nice the wife and dogs love it.
Everything seems in great shape
it has red radiator fluid
Oil looks very clean, but will still be doing all M1 fluids
runs strong and smoth so far
no leaks so far
fits in garage and has about a foot of clearance for added height once roof rack is gone
subs sound great
etc.

Bad:
the truck as more corrosion than wanted...but was expected
the hitch is pretty bad but will be tossed
the exhaust doesn't look great but will as some point be tossed
rear locker is sticking front works fine
has roof rack...doesn't look bad at all actually but will be removed soon so we will see
rear hatch is really really heavy due to the subs but install is very nice and very clean!!

Ugly:
Last night we got stuck at parents house due to the fact that I stupidly tripped the car jacker switch in the cliford alarm and we finally had to go and print off instructions online and luckly the car's disarm was still in factory setings.
Sensors all over the place which I don't know what they are but I am pretty sure they belong to the crazy alarm.
Switches everywhere!!!!
it has 10 dash switches and so far I only know what 4 do for sure.
one for strobe lights (in case of break down?) one for codes for alarm I found out the hard way, one for fog lights, one for dome light that houses the V1 radar detector in stealth.

That leaves 6 switches I still don't know what they go to...I think that one goes to the rear (back up piaa light) which I think is burned out. and I think three are built in garage door openers I found one with wires hanging out of it going to dash....crazy
and I don't have the key for the wheel locks...I need to check in the tool bag.

So there you have it in a nutshell...many of the bad and ugly you all warned me about and I sort of new before hand....but I am still very happy to have my truck and to start work

After vacation this next couple weeks I will be installing some slee goodies and working on ditching the rack and pm/fluids.

wish me luck

thanks
Rob

Congrats on the rig :D

Be careful of the 2nd switch from the right, I think it powers the passenger ejector seat :eek:

:D

What do the switches look like and and where are they located? Just curious about switch install locations that others have done.

Here is a quick pic of the cruiser in the garage
47b5d635b3127cce933800500bea00000016108BZsmrlm4bq

Here are the switches on the dash
47b5d635b3127cce9338006b8ae100000016108BZsmrlm4bq

47b5d635b3127cce933800798af300000015108BZsmrlm4bq

and the over head dome and v1 install
47b5d635b3127cce9338005c0be600000016108BZsmrlm4bq

and I was afraid of the eject button after I hit the carjack button....my wife who wasn't at all amused told me to stop pushing buttons :doh:

thanks...I have to relocate some of the switches in the blanks that I plan to keep into the holes under the diff lock switch....that way freeing up blanks for factory switches like CDL and aux lights etc.

Yes I love it....I will love it more when I have put my stamp on it :)

tarbe said:
Looks nice!

What is a V1 unit?

Valentine 1..."radar detector"...that isn't cheap.

The CDL switch needs to go around the radio as that is where the wiring is.

Nice looking rig. Congrats.

thanks

I am thinking since I already have holes under the diff lock switch I will move the (don't touch me) alarm switch and the strobe switch over there and that would give me room for the CDL switch where it needs to go....I plan on ditching all the garage door switches. If I do anything for the garage door it will be the scion tC homelink rear view mirror.

Valentine One is simple the BEST detector ever built. I've had one for 3 years and it has saved my butt many times. I knew they had a remote unit but have never seen or heard of the installation you have. Does it look like it was a homemade install or what?

Great looking ride. What's your order of mods? I just picked up my 96 LX and am curious what you plan to do first....

This sounds interesting! Can you please explain further, any pics??This sounds interesting! Can you please explain further, any pics??

Here are a couple of pics I just went and took. The first one shows the two 10's from above, the second shows the added depth that was built so you have room for the mounting depth and the third shows that all the wires were run through the factory wire tube.
47b5d635b3127cce933a6c7dca5900000016108BZsmrlm4bq

47b5d635b3127cce933a6c664b7200000016108BZsmrlm4bq

47b5d635b3127cce933a6c67ca4300000016108BZsmrlm4bq

I knew they had a remote unit but have never seen or heard of the installation you have. Does it look like it was a homemade install or what?
Yes all the parts are purchased but it takes some doing to make it this stealth. there are sensors in the rear licence plate surround and the display in the dash which is hooked into the front dash speakers and then the unit is mounted in the dome light area with the dome light on the bottom and the switch in the dash for the dome light. It took some serious fabrication but I wouldn't say it was homemade...pretty professionally done if you ask me.

Great looking ride. What's your order of mods? I just picked up my 96 LX and am curious what you plan to do first....
Thanks!!
I am going to do PM stuff and remove the roof rack, then am planning on installing the slee 6" lift, skid plate, sliders, rear bumper/tire carrior, and ARB bullbar, and 35" MTR's if I can find them...that will be stage one.

thanks for all the comments

It's going to fit in the garage with a 6" lift and 35's??????

If you keep the V-1 in, let me know how effective the installation is (DOES IT WORK). That is just way too cool. I've hard wired it in all my vehicles, so there's no cord hanging down, but depending on the vehicle it gets in the way of the sun visor flipping down.

clarkrw3 said:
I am going to do PM stuff and remove the roof rack, then am planning on installing the slee 6" lift, skid plate, sliders, rear bumper/tire carrior, and ARB bullbar, and 35" MTR's if I can find them...that will be stage one.

Wow, thats a lot for Stage 1. Whats Stage 2?

It's going to fit in the garage with a 6" lift and 35's??????
That is a very big question....here are my thoughts right now as the truck sits I have 11" of clearance when driving in. the cruiser now has 30" tires as measured and so with the 6" lift and 2.5" of extra tire on the bottom of the axle would end up being 9" approx. so I should have 2" of fudge room, right? I hope!!!

let me know how effective the installation is (DOES IT WORK)
Already found 2 cops in 120mi of driving and both a log way off ....so it seems to be working well....I just have to deside if I want to send it in to get the pop3 upgrade?!?

This will be your garage floor in less than 3 months.....
I predict that you are more correct than I wish you were.....I have alot of wiring to sift through!!!!

Wow, thats a lot for Stage 1. Whats Stage 2?

Stage Two
48” High lift jack
Hella 4000’s or equivalent
Dual Optima battery set up
Add on push electric radiator fan
Clear bumper lights
Clear/Red rear lights
George’s LED’s for interior lights
Windshield washer bottle relocation kit
Scion TC rear view mirror with HomeLink
TRD Super Charger
I-piller gauge pod
Gauges Temp/EGT/Boost/AFR
Warn 12000 lbs winch with inboard controls
Hand throttle
Snorkel

clarkrw3 said:
...Stage Two
48” High lift jack
Hella 4000’s or equivalent
Dual Optima battery set up
Add on push electric radiator fan
Clear bumper lights
Clear/Red rear lights
George’s LED’s for interior lights
Windshield washer bottle relocation kit
Scion TC rear view mirror with HomeLink
TRD Super Charger
I-piller gauge pod
Gauges Temp/EGT/Boost/AFR
Warn 12000 lbs winch with inboard controls
Hand throttle
Snorkel
Sounds like a very nice build up.

Might I suggest a 60" high lift jack. Once you step up to something as small as a 2.5" OME lift, the 48" high jack is useless.

Also, Lightforce 170s or 240s are nice lights. A bit spendy, but well worth it, IMO.

Finally, I understand that George no longer makes the LEDs for the doors. You can pick some up at www.superbrightleds.com. I have his original door LEDs in my 450 and the superbrightled version in the wife's 450. George's put out more light...but that's a moot point, I guess. On a good note, the superbrighled version is quite inexpensive.

thanks for the info....yes I def will go with the 60" I will only have it on the truck on trips anyway. I will have to check out the lightforce lifts what makes them better? Hmmm I put George's LED's on my dad's 97 but will have to order some of the others through superbrightled's instead...thanks for the heads up he still makes the dome lights right?

in your pics with the switches
top right with the lightbulb is your dash lights,you can adjust the brightness.
that's all i got....... :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom