1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LX finally here.....and build up thread

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by clarkrw3, Aug 14, 2005.

1. clarkrw3

clarkrw3

Albums:
    Some of you might remember from this thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=53691
    The LX I picked up from NJ with 63k on it and lockers, wel it came yesterday...finally. So here is the good bad and ugly, and in the future I will document all my mods in this thread as the build up progresses.

Good:
    The truck is as clean as advertised and very nice the wife and dogs love it.
    Everything seems in great shape
    it has red radiator fluid
    Oil looks very clean, but will still be doing all M1 fluids
    runs strong and smoth so far
    no leaks so far
    fits in garage and has about a foot of clearance for added height once roof rack is gone
    subs sound great
    etc.

Bad:
    the truck as more corrosion than wanted...but was expected
    the hitch is pretty bad but will be tossed
    the exhaust doesn't look great but will as some point be tossed
    rear locker is sticking front works fine
    has roof rack...doesn't look bad at all actually but will be removed soon so we will see
    rear hatch is really really heavy due to the subs but install is very nice and very clean!!

Ugly:
    Last night we got stuck at parents house due to the fact that I stupidly tripped the car jacker switch in the cliford alarm and we finally had to go and print off instructions online and luckly the car's disarm was still in factory setings.
    Sensors all over the place which I don't know what they are but I am pretty sure they belong to the crazy alarm.
    Switches everywhere!!!!
    it has 10 dash switches and so far I only know what 4 do for sure.
    one for strobe lights (in case of break down?) one for codes for alarm I found out the hard way, one for fog lights, one for dome light that houses the V1 radar detector in stealth.

That leaves 6 switches I still don't know what they go to...I think that one goes to the rear (back up piaa light) which I think is burned out. and I think three are built in garage door openers I found one with wires hanging out of it going to dash....crazy
    and I don't have the key for the wheel locks...I need to check in the tool bag.

So there you have it in a nutshell...many of the bad and ugly you all warned me about and I sort of new before hand....but I am still very happy to have my truck and to start work

After vacation this next couple weeks I will be installing some slee goodies and working on ditching the rack and pm/fluids.

wish me luck

thanks
    Rob

2. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Congrats on the rig :D

Be careful of the 2nd switch from the right, I think it powers the passenger ejector seat :eek:

:D

What do the switches look like and and where are they located? Just curious about switch install locations that others have done.

3. clarkrw3

clarkrw3

Albums:
    Here is a quick pic of the cruiser in the garage
    [​IMG]

Here are the switches on the dash
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the over head dome and v1 install
    [​IMG]

and I was afraid of the eject button after I hit the carjack button....my wife who wasn't at all amused told me to stop pushing buttons :doh:

4. skyshark186

skyshark186

Media:
    Hey....at least those holes used to mount things are clean. Mine look like a monkey with an exacto went after them. Or a free form painter......

Anywhoser. Nice truck. Im sure you love it.

5. clarkrw3

clarkrw3

Albums:
    thanks...I have to relocate some of the switches in the blanks that I plan to keep into the holes under the diff lock switch....that way freeing up blanks for factory switches like CDL and aux lights etc.

Yes I love it....I will love it more when I have put my stamp on it :)

6. tarbe

tarbe

Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!
    Looks nice!

What is a V1 unit?

7. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Valentine 1..."radar detector"...that isn't cheap.

8. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Yup you definately need one of these in a road stallion like a Land Cruiser.

9. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

The CDL switch needs to go around the radio as that is where the wiring is.

Nice looking rig. Congrats.

10. clarkrw3

clarkrw3

Albums:
    thanks

I am thinking since I already have holes under the diff lock switch I will move the (don't touch me) alarm switch and the strobe switch over there and that would give me room for the CDL switch where it needs to go....I plan on ditching all the garage door switches. If I do anything for the garage door it will be the scion tC homelink rear view mirror.

11. SamB

SamB

This sounds interesting! Can you please explain further, any pics??

12. skywalkerguy

skywalkerguy

Valentine One is simple the BEST detector ever built. I've had one for 3 years and it has saved my butt many times. I knew they had a remote unit but have never seen or heard of the installation you have. Does it look like it was a homemade install or what?

Great looking ride. What's your order of mods? I just picked up my 96 LX and am curious what you plan to do first....

13. clarkrw3

clarkrw3

Albums:
    Here are a couple of pics I just went and took. The first one shows the two 10's from above, the second shows the added depth that was built so you have room for the mounting depth and the third shows that all the wires were run through the factory wire tube.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes all the parts are purchased but it takes some doing to make it this stealth. there are sensors in the rear licence plate surround and the display in the dash which is hooked into the front dash speakers and then the unit is mounted in the dome light area with the dome light on the bottom and the switch in the dash for the dome light. It took some serious fabrication but I wouldn't say it was homemade...pretty professionally done if you ask me.

Thanks!!
    I am going to do PM stuff and remove the roof rack, then am planning on installing the slee 6" lift, skid plate, sliders, rear bumper/tire carrior, and ARB bullbar, and 35" MTR's if I can find them...that will be stage one.

thanks for all the comments

14. skywalkerguy

skywalkerguy

It's going to fit in the garage with a 6" lift and 35's??????

If you keep the V-1 in, let me know how effective the installation is (DOES IT WORK). That is just way too cool. I've hard wired it in all my vehicles, so there's no cord hanging down, but depending on the vehicle it gets in the way of the sun visor flipping down.

15. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy

Media:
    This will be your garage floor in less than 3 months..... :D
    tn_shig_wires_BF4.jpg

16. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Wow, thats a lot for Stage 1. Whats Stage 2?

17. clarkrw3

clarkrw3

Albums:
    That is a very big question....here are my thoughts right now as the truck sits I have 11" of clearance when driving in. the cruiser now has 30" tires as measured and so with the 6" lift and 2.5" of extra tire on the bottom of the axle would end up being 9" approx. so I should have 2" of fudge room, right? I hope!!!

Already found 2 cops in 120mi of driving and both a log way off ....so it seems to be working well....I just have to deside if I want to send it in to get the pop3 upgrade?!?

I predict that you are more correct than I wish you were.....I have alot of wiring to sift through!!!!

Stage Two
    48” High lift jack
    Hella 4000’s or equivalent
    Dual Optima battery set up
    Add on push electric radiator fan
    Clear bumper lights
    Clear/Red rear lights
    George’s LED’s for interior lights
    Windshield washer bottle relocation kit
    Scion TC rear view mirror with HomeLink
    TRD Super Charger
    I-piller gauge pod
    Gauges Temp/EGT/Boost/AFR
    Warn 12000 lbs winch with inboard controls
    Hand throttle
    Snorkel

18. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Sounds like a very nice build up.

Might I suggest a 60" high lift jack. Once you step up to something as small as a 2.5" OME lift, the 48" high jack is useless.

Also, Lightforce 170s or 240s are nice lights. A bit spendy, but well worth it, IMO.

Finally, I understand that George no longer makes the LEDs for the doors. You can pick some up at www.superbrightleds.com. I have his original door LEDs in my 450 and the superbrightled version in the wife's 450. George's put out more light...but that's a moot point, I guess. On a good note, the superbrighled version is quite inexpensive.

19. clarkrw3

clarkrw3

Albums:
    thanks for the info....yes I def will go with the 60" I will only have it on the truck on trips anyway. I will have to check out the lightforce lifts what makes them better? Hmmm I put George's LED's on my dad's 97 but will have to order some of the others through superbrightled's instead...thanks for the heads up he still makes the dome lights right?

20. 2badfjs

2badfjs

in your pics with the switches
    top right with the lightbulb is your dash lights,you can adjust the brightness.
    that's all i got....... :frown: