Luna Fridge Decision - Need Help Deciding...! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rbfilms.com
Hi,

I am hoping a few fellow members might be able to help me make a decision on something.

I am having trouble deciding between the two following portable refrigerators:

The first unit is the National Luna 40 Liter Stainless Refrigerator. This unit has cooling plates on all sides including the bottom and thicker insulation. It cools down a bit faster, stays cold a little longer, runs a bit more efficiently, uses less power, and runs a little longer on battery power than he other unit I am considering from the same company. The only thing this does not have is a separate Freezer compartment. It is either a Refrigerator or a Freezer ... not both.

40-litre

The second unit I am considering is a National Luna 50 Liter Split Weekender Fridge / Freezer. This unit lacks a bottom cooling plate and has less insulation. It takes a little longer to cool down, does not stay cold as long, runs a bit less efficiently, uses more power, and does not run as long on battery power as the unit above. However, this unit does feature a separate refrigerator and freezer. The freezer section runs about 12 to 15 degrees colder than the refrigerator section.

50-litre Weekender

So my questions are as follows:

1 - Any comments on either of these units from people who actually own one? Are you happy with your purchase and does the unit serve you well?

2 - How often do you wish you had a freezer while on a trip? I think the freezer section is snall so it is not like I can put a whole lot in there.

3 - Any negatives besides what I pointed out above in either unit?

I am trying to think about what I would want to freeze ... and outside of an extended journey, I cannot think of much. I do not eat ice cream and perhaps and would hope to avoid eating TV Dinners while camping if I could. Am I missing something here?

Rich,
I have a SS NL 40L that I bought and imported to Ghana from South Africa and have been absolutely delighted with it - low current draw, super tough... Okay it is not the smallest of fridges but it is great. I don't regret not having a freezer - if I am carrying meat that goes down the bottom and freezes while stuff up top doesnt. The only negative is the puny inside light in the lid, but I can live with that. Really has been the one piece of kit that REALLY transformed trips. I use two bats giving about 200a/hr and the fridge can go days. You will have gathered by now I like it ;) I can only compare it to an Engel I hired in Namibia and the NL was a better fridge IMHO.
Gil
No TV dinners - Smoked Salmon Risotto with chilled white wine in the Dogon Country of Mali last New Year was one of the highlights of the trip:cheers:

Thanks for the review. I am convinced these are top quality units as well. So if you run the unit at low fridge temp ... say 33 degrees ... close to freezing ... the lower part of the fridge will actually run colder and freeze whatever is in it?

Where do you have your batteries located? I would love to run more than just dual batteries ... but I have not found a location for the third one yet.

Rich,
I have a SS NL 40L that I bought and imported to Ghana from South Africa and have been absolutely delighted with it - low current draw, super tough... Okay it is not the smallest of fridges but it is great. I don't regret not having a freezer - if I am carrying meat that goes down the bottom and freezes while stuff up top doesnt. The only negative is the puny inside light in the lid, but I can live with that. Really has been the one piece of kit that REALLY transformed trips. I use two bats giving about 200a/hr and the fridge can go days. You will have gathered by now I like it ;) I can only compare it to an Engel I hired in Namibia and the NL was a better fridge IMHO.
Gil
No TV dinners - Smoked Salmon Risotto with chilled white wine in the Dogon Country of Mali last New Year was one of the highlights of the trip:cheers:

Hi

I have an Engel and uses it as gilghana does. As a /fridgefreezer. The stuff on the sides and the bottom will stay frozen longer than whatever is on the top in and in the middle. So the meat at the side and bottom and the drinks at the side and middle and the non freezing stuff at the top. You will have to experiment a bit with the temperature setting to get it right and will probably freeze a few cucumbers and tomatoes to death. Beer does ot mind to a bit of freezing.

A fridge is a must - even for your hardcore purists out there

I dont think freezing food for long trips is really necessary. Its much more economical power wise,to keep things cold just above freezing.
I put vacuum packed meat at the bottom and it will keep for a month or more at 1-2c
The salad items I cut up and pack into square plastic containers. They dont seem to get overchilled that way.
If you must have a freezer,2 separate fridges is the best way. The freezer fridge can be left shut to stay cold and drinks and snacks can be in the "warm" fridge.

I have 2 waecos and 80 and a 50 litre and they work fine at half the price of the National Luna ,although I know you guys in Africa can get them cheaper

I have a mamoth Waeco CF110 , 106liter. Yes trial and frozen cucs you can combo it frdge/freezer ,but if you cant afford to waste or ruin the food then I would go with 2 like Rosco said. or use a fridge as a freezer and a cooler and cycle the freezer pacs for the beer salads etc... If you are only doing weekend stuff, there is no need to freeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom