1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lower radiator hose question

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 3DAMAN!, Aug 29, 2006.

1. 3DAMAN!

3DAMAN! No brag..just fact SILVER Star

I am trying to replace the lower two hoses from the water pump to the radiator (77 FJ40 2F). Replaceing with factory hoses from CDAN. Have a problem with the hoses. The two replacement hoses are almost identical looking, with one about 1 inch longer than the other. Both hoses are about 1-3/4 inches I.D. on one end and 1-1/2 I.D. on the other. They look like the picture in the SOR cat. in the cooling systems components section. The problem is the (top) hose will not slip on the steel heater connection sleeve. I have measured both parts and the numbers tell me the hose is too small. Also, the fugged up old hose looks more like a horseshoe than the new replacment. And it has the same dimensions on both ends ,like a pre '75 type. What am I missing in this puzzle? Any help will appreciated.
    THANKS,
    DAVE................

2. amandap

amandap

I reviewed the catalog pics to refresh my memory of doing this a few months ago. Only thing comes to mind here is that I had to really clean up that metal connector alot as it had become rather crusty. I'm referring to the one with the small tube coming out the side in an elbow. I converted from an F to 78 2F so I may have a different piece there. I used a bit of silicone to get it all together. I assume you've double checked parts with cdan for accuracy? Sometimes even the best of humans make mistakes...or the warehouse does.
    Good luck. Hope you get some more definite answers!

3. 3DAMAN!

Just fishing for someone elses experience before I bother him. May be something stupid Im overlooking, Thanks........

4. Fast Eddy

Fast Eddy

The old hose may not have been the right part, and the heat over time will tend to make the end stretched onto the steel heater pipe look big.

As I remember the large ends connect to the heater pipe, right? I remember it was tough to get it on a new heater pipe. If you're dealing with a pitted out old one, I expect it will be very tough. Put those pieces together first, off the truck, then install the whole thing as an assembly.

You think you're miffed now? Wait until you have it all back together with new antifreeze and find out it still overheats and your radiator needs to be rodded. Ask me how I know.

5. 3DAMAN!

Thanks for the reply Fast Eddie, Are you saying the the small end goes on the water pump? I still think the hose will need more bend in it........

6. billdance

billdance

I bought a new radiator from CCOT and I had the same problem with that hose.....and it had the OEM Toyota sticker....! I could NOT get it on....soI used the old one which was still in good condition.... go figure..

7. DieselFJ

DieselFJ

Media:
    Albums:
    I had a similiar problem with getting the right hoses. Only one of the hoses should be necked down. The part numbers you should have received are:

90916-01055
    90916-01137

Check out the picture on CCOT's website http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/radiatorhoses.html Letter D and E are the ones you will need and letter D should be the only one necked down.

Just thought this might help

Scott

8. Doug_S

Doug_S

On the other hand, I bought the SOR "hose kit" and found that all the hoses worked just fine on my '77...

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">