Love my 470 but this damn thumping... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

“if it starts thumping again, just swing by and we’ll have someone grease it up for you real quick.” :rolleyes:

"I hope she's cute!"

My Prado has this thump as well. Doesn't happen all the time but I've never has any other vehicle I've owned do it so good to know I'm not crazy. So it's essentially the driveshaft slipping? Anyone make CF driveshafts for these things? :idea:

Dealer Service Doubts

Okay, So looking for info. semi related to Drive Shaft.
Looking at Dealer records from July of this year, says:
1. LUBRICATE DRIVE SHAFT, RE-TORQUE NUTS AND BOLTS and
2. LUBRICATE FRONT PROPELLER SHAFT BUSHINGS
3. RE-TORQUE PROPELLER SHAFT FLANGE BOLTS

I crawled under this week to grease all the zerks on the drive shafts (mainly the rear shaft) because our shaft was experiencing the classic thumping and thudding when at a stop and depressing the brake peddle. etc. etc. so I greased everything and no more thumping. Buuut......I had to put A LOT of grease in all the zerks before anything started to crack through, I even took the shaft apart (see photo below) and you can see there is a little grease residue on the splines, but other than the residue you can see the splines and shaft inside was bone dry of any grease.....So now I have my doubts they really greased the shaft like they reported, and if they didn't do that, then I now have doubts on the rest of the maintenance they are reporting* on that same visit:

1. REPLACE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL FLUID
2. REPLACE REAR DIFFERENTIAL FLUID
3. REPLACE TRANSFER CASE FLUID
4. REPLACE BRAKE FLUID
5. REPLACE ENGINE COOLANT
6. REPLACE all filters

None of the bolts on said areas look touched in a while. I'm I being paranoid?

full

Hey Y'all,

This thread has been super helpful. My 2004 has the clunk. Rather thank greasing, I think I'll just replace. Saw Dan's comment that both the rear and front got new part numbers, and the rear is the main culprit of clunk (per the TSB).

Three questions:
  1. Are these the right part numbers?
  2. Once both are replaced, do I need to grease all the zerks, or would that wait until my next oil change?
  3. When it comes time to grease everything, is it correct to just do 2-3 squirts in the slip yoke zerk (to avoid hydrolocking) and to add grease to the spider yoke zerk until the old grease comes out?

We don't have it. I did discover that there are better, smoother pads than Toyota. My 80 was thumping when braking, so I took suggestion from mechanic and change out disk to another brand. Smooth as silk. Did the same on the 470. Can't remember brand but will find out. I have the same problem with 2006 Corolla. Just took it in and had him change out pads and drums to fix that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom