Looking to Buy a Used Tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello boys.. I'm looking to buy a used Tundra 4wd 2008 or newer for under 18000. What should I be aiming for? Avoiding?
Thanks.

Make sure that it's non flex fuel.

check the frame, brake lines if it's from a rust area.
If it has the 4.7 v8 make sure tb/wp and heater t's have been done recently, otherwise budget approx $1500 for it to be done.
Some people with early 5.7's had problem with coolant leaks around the timing chain(?)- search in the 200 series section, there were a few threads about the pink milkshake.
I'm in the same boat, only my budget isn't as high so i'd be curious to see if you find anything else to look out for.

I have a 2011 5.7 and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my truck.

A few things that I’ve learned....

“Cam towers” have a tsb I believe for leaks from assembly errors. Minor issue but worth looking for, the cam towers are essentially a girdle that’s holds the cams down onto the valves, you’ll notice a seam similar to a HG around each head, above the HG, but below the valve cover. I resealed mine, although they weren’t leaking....I was there anyways...

Timing chain tensioner - there is 4 of these suckers. I had one fail on me, not 100% but enough to cause odd noises here and there and apparently has happened a few times. I’ve intended to do a write up but haven’t gotten around to it.

Driveshaft - I have a 4x4 crew max, which utilizes a carrier bearing two piece shaft with a slip shaft as well, slip shaft causes a consistent thud on take off, remedy is to replace or for me I remove it and grease it every 5-10k. PITA and kinda annoying, but for some reason I’ve found this to be common on a variety of trucks. Ford even produces a special grease for this 10 years ago roughly to remedy their issues.

Exterior trim - I’ve notice the exterior pieces don’t hold up well, I (as well as a friend of mine) have had to replace all of the belt moldings along each door. Also along top window is coming loose on mine. Rubber antenna grommet rotted away long ago, replaced with new. Very minor, but nickel and dimes....

Rust - s*** these things rust if not cared for. Rough climates eat the frame and axle paint quickly, keep an eye on this...you should know toyota began replacing frames for northern climate victims....keep in mind when shopping.

Lastly, I love the size of my crew max interior....but I’d much rather have a slightly smaller cab in exchange for a bigger tank, and bigger bed. The 5.7 is a beast, I don’t have much experience with the 4.6, but they are nearly identical design.

Good luck!

Might want to google it.

No, you should just explain your point, simple.

People come to this forum for information, just like the OP.... not to be turned to google. If your knowledge doesn’t provide facts or insight into the OP’s original statement, watch quietly.

Are you inferring that every flex fuel truck has had e85 ran through it and is therefore garbage? Agreed e85 sucks for the conventional gasoline substitute, but flex fuel tundras can be just as solid as their non-flex counterparts....this should not be considered a deal breaker on an otherwise good condition tundra purchase.

Like I said, if you can keep from it, don't consider a Flex Fuel Tundra.

About a week stale, but why no Flex fuel? I googled when I purchased and found only one real reason, and that’s if you plan to run a super charger, or so I read.

It doesn’t matter, I bought a flex fuel 5.7 in an area that doesn’t even sell flex fuel. If you never run flex fuel, you don’t have to worry about the shorter maintenance intervals.

If anything, a FFV engine is better. Gives an additional fuel option and when you run regular gas it’s better because of additional corrosion protective coatings on various parts in the engine. Guarantee most Tundra owners are driving a “flex fuel” and just don’t know it.

With that said, did you buy a tundra yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom