Looking for N.NV Dirt Bike riding area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hoping you fellas could help me out.
Looking for a pretty local for some dirt bike riding and camping (with a toy hauler)

Access road cant be too radical but Im willing to work for a good spot :)

Moderators please feel free to delete.(edit; :flipoff2:, rusty_tlc)

Cruisers rule! (Content)
Thanks,
Ken :beer:

Last edited by a moderator:
Moon Rocks.
Pyramid lake.
Virginia City (there is a nice RV park on the north end of town IIRC you can hit the trails without going on pavement.)

The whole friggin state is a dirt bike paradise, just put your finger on a map.

First of all, HE'S ALIVE!!!!!!

Long time, no hear. How is the truck/camper treating you?

I was going to suggest Moon Rocks, but Dan beat me to it. You can get pretty much any rig to it. There are probably a dozen "tracks" scattered around the parking/camping area (dry camping) and of course you can head west and south and ride until your heart is content on both two and single tracks.

Beyond that, Dan is right, pick a spot, have fun. Easy.

Jack

There are some great single track rides around Moon rocks also. Real fun stuff narrow canyon, high banks, some rocks mixed in too. I rode it with a MX'r that was a much better rider than me, but he couldn't single track to save his life. I walked a little taller in camp that night. The lead rider blew us both away though, so I wasn't the tallest kid in camp.

Thanks guys!
Sounds like Moon Rocks is the place to be, I will definitely check it out.
For some reason I thought it was a hardcore wheeling area only.

How about any spots where there is access to hot springs?
The riding doesnt need to be technical I will be riding with the :princess::princess:'S

Jack, Yes , I guess Im alive. But Im pulling a "Jack" and It will be up for sale:ban:
So if you guys know anyone looking for a camper I will be trying to get it on CL in a week or so....

Miss you guys BTW!

Ken

For hot springs you might try Soldier Meadows.There are some nice springs in that area and a lot of dirt roads.

If I were riding with the :princess: and wanted to soak, I'd go to Double Hot. There's a lot more rideable area vs. Soldier Meadows. Ken, if you want to see the Soldier Meadows spring, I just did a write up from last weekend on ExPo. There are only dirt roads to ride on up there vs. the playa, roads and the hills around Double Hot. Plus the tub at Double hot is a little warmer.

What are you replacing the rig with? Is it the Power Wagon and Camper or just the camper?

Cool! I think I remember something about Soldier Meadows looks like a cool spot.
How popular (crowds) is Soldier Meadows?

Sweet trip report love the pics! Double Hot sounds killer. Is there only the one tub? other stuff to see or do in that area? crowded?

Keeping and pumping more $$ in mods into the Pee Dub. The camper is a bit tight for 3 on a normal basis,specially in foul weather.
For now going to roll with the T.H. trailer and bring motor bikes,bicycles,kayaks and some redneck flags.:hillbilly:

Hoping to make some spring trips up that way!! :beer:

Thanks,
Ken

I hear California is the place to explore :flipoff2:

Of all the places to take a dirt bike, the black rock area isn't one of them. Not that you wouldn't have fun, but it's not as fun as 90% of the rest of the state --for dirtbikes - you will run outta gas far too quick! There's much better riding right there in Empire and Gerlach since that's where all the fun tracks in the area are. Everything else caters to 4wd up there.

Sand Mountain jumps to mind as a big destination spot. There are dunes south of Fallon and/or north of Tonapah if you want aloneness. North of Lovelock is fun to explore on bike too or even the backside of Limbo. I would even go to Lahontan or Dog Valley before Black Rock to dirt bike.

Black Rock is like riding asphalt. Hammer all the way down, all day long with a little dusty trail every second or third hour of playa. Plus you can get really far away from camp there before something goes awry.....

I've done it enough to know better (lived in Empire, went dirtbiking most days), and I wouldn't suggest horse riding on the black rock either.

Cool! I think I remember something about Soldier Meadows looks like a cool spot.
How popular (crowds) is Soldier Meadows?

Sweet trip report love the pics! Double Hot sounds killer. Is there only the one tub? other stuff to see or do in that area? crowded?

Keeping and pumping more $$ in mods into the Pee Dub. The camper is a bit tight for 3 on a normal basis,specially in foul weather.
For now going to roll with the T.H. trailer and bring motor bikes,bicycles,kayaks and some redneck flags.:hillbilly:

Hoping to make some spring trips up that way!! :beer:

Thanks,
Ken
Soldier Meadows should be pretty empty this time of year, kind of between hunting and camping season.

I think the area should be pretty fun. High Rock Lake, Summit Lake, lots of trails in the Calico Hills. Plus the hot springs and some nice camp sites for a toy hauler. High Rock Canyon is fun in a 4WD but probably not so much on a dirt bike. If you did want to try it call the battle mountain BLM office and check if it is open, they close it off during big horn lambing and peregrine falcon nesting season.

FWIW, The thing I don't like about Soldier Meadows with a Toy Hauler is the 70 miles one way of serious corduroy. At least by August the road crew will have graded out the axle-breakers, although not much run off this year so maybe not an issue. But if you try and make any kind of time with a camper or camp trailer on that road it just beats the crud out of it. Even I had a pipe rack come apart up by Summit Lake (you may not use this lake - Indian Reservation restrictions).

If you go, IMO, pack it light and put as much in the truck as possible. Leave the kayaks and probably bicycles at home.

I have to agree with Paul, once you make it to Soldier Meadows, life is good, but the road to is a rough one in the best of times.

I still vote for Moon Rocks, easy on the trailer to get to and numerous trails/tracks to explore. The downfall is no hot springs, but you are relatively close to town if you forget something.

Jack

locrwln1;7485024 The downfall is no hot springs said:
ya know, the area around Moon Rocks is called "Warm Springs". There used to be a "warm" tub up Winnemucca Ranch road, past the ranch up to the right towards Fish Springs around the west side of Tule Pk. I haven't been that-a-way since high school or so but remember it was a place people camped at. Don't know if Rancho Haven has grown that much to swallow the area but it might be worth a little exploring.

Thanks guys!
Loving the info! Good point on the 70 miles of washboard. The trailer is smaller and has torsion axles but 70 miles is something to think about.

Cant wait to to pack the dirt bikes and get out there!

Thanks
Ken

ya know, the area around Moon Rocks is called "Warm Springs". There used to be a "warm" tub up Winnemucca Ranch road, past the ranch up to the right towards Fish Springs around the west side of Tule Pk. I haven't been that-a-way since high school or so but remember it was a place people camped at. Don't know if Rancho Haven has grown that much to swallow the area but it might be worth a little exploring.

Learn something new everyday. I know years ago, you could take Winnemucca Ranch road all the way through to CA, but it got closed off after a land purchase, not sure if it was ever reopened.

Jack

Learn something new everyday. I know years ago, you could take Winnemucca Ranch road all the way through to CA, but it got closed off after a land purchase, not sure if it was ever reopened.

Jack

We drove out there one weekend, I can't remember if we turned around because of a gate or if the road turned to bottomless mud. That was two winters ago.

I wasn't thinking about the washboard going to Soldier Meadows, we kind of fly over that in the 100. But yeah it would beat a trailer up pretty bad.

Not that I'd want to ride dirt bikes out there, but the high road to Soldier Meadows was butter smooth two weeks ago. The smoothest I've ever seen it.

Cool! looks like Im heading to Moon Rocks 4-9 - 4-12 Not sure if we will stay put the entire time or hit another area ...

If you guys get time stop by , I have a very large fridge full of beverage goodness!