Looking for input on 2H Compound Turbo build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I am building up a compound turbo 2H as a side project while I'm in marine engineering school and I figured sharing my thread over here might produce some helpful comments on my build and how I can improve the functionality of these turbos I'm adapting onto my rebuilt 2H.

Here is the link to my thread on the VI Cruisers clubhouse. Please let me know what you think!
Theseus build

There's quite a few compound turbo 2Hs in australia. Look at the various facebook pages and you'll find them. Generally people convert to a 12mm VE (rotary) injector pump but there's a mob in N.S.W that offers larger plungers for an A type inline.

Some people have trouble with head gaskets but for the most part they seem pretty bullet proof.

Cool setup you've got, I'm keen to see how it goes.

There's quite a few compound turbo 2Hs in australia. Look at the various facebook pages and you'll find them. Generally people convert to a 12mm VE (rotary) injector pump but there's a mob in N.S.W that offers larger plungers for an A type inline.

Some people have trouble with head gaskets but for the most part they seem pretty bullet proof.

Cool setup you've got, I'm keen to see how it goes.

Wow thanks for the great info! I've been scouring the web all summer looking for more information and haven't seen anything about compound turbo 2H's from your neck of the woods, I'll have to widen my searches some more.
When you say "12mm rotary VE injection pump" what are you referring to? The actual IP piston diameter? How easily do these pumps adapt to the 2H timing gear/govenor? Do I need to fabricate an adapter flange to mount the VE pump?

The 2H uses a pneumatic govenor to actuate the fuel rack via a pressure differential across a throttle plate in the intake manifold. With the different pump will the throttle actuation be a direct control of the fuel rack (or swash plate)?

Im currently working aboard a ship and my internet is pretty trash, could you send some links that might help my searches?

Thanks again!

12mm is a reference to the diameter of the fuel delivery plunger.
1HZ had 11mm plunger, 1HD-T/1HD-FT had 12mm.
12mm plunger is approx 20% increase in cross sectional area vs 11mm

Pretty decent description of how the ve pump works here

Throttle acts on a spring loaded governor. Throttle position, and engine speed together determine the governor position, and fuel delivery. There is no throttle plate in 1Hz, 1HD-T etc
Boost compensator (aneroid) also acts on the governor to shift the governor to increase the available fuel as boost increases

I think the newer 1HZ has an 11mm plunger.

That's my understanding too. I think @ForealBoreal is correct too.

There's also 13mm plunger and distributive heads that are compatible from an Isuzu engine (don't know which one), and I think 14mm from the Yanmar marine engines version of the 1HD-FT

Yeah, you wont find much outside of searching on facebook groups. For some reason Australian modified landcruiser world never really hit the internet.

The injector pump is from a TD42 nissan. Modified 12mm versions are readily available and relatively cheap. These are very similar to the pump from a 1HZ or early 6BT. You use an adapter/spacer plate and a modified drive gear. Dale Butterworth was selling these, he had a tripple turbo 2H in a HJ60.

Here's some random photos I have saved.

image-jpeg.1299125

42psi wade magoo.jpg

dion ward 12ht2.jpg

Dales car in action. It made a bit over 400HP at the wheels and ran a 12.7 in the 1/4.

I think the newer 1HZ has an 11mm plunger.

I've read this several times but I've never seen any proof. How late model are we talking? I don't know what years they were but I've looked at a HZJ79 and HZJ105 and they both had 10mm pumps. HZJ75s and HZJ80s are 10mm.

I'd really like to see a date or changeover model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom