Looking for input for drawer for LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Scenario: we have 3 kids that often go out with us. Out two girls sit in the second row and our oldest boy sits in the passenger side 3rd row.

Want: I would like to build some sort of drawer in the empty space where the driver’s side 3rd row would be. But we also go grocery shopping with the LX and would love to be able to have a sliding tray so that we could load up the grocery bags, then slide it back.

I’ve thought about building a traditional sliding drawer but have the top of the box on a hinge or even remove it so the sliding drawer can side out hold the groceries and slide it back in. The sides would hold the groceries securely. Then when we go out off-roading I can load the drawer up with gear and tools etc.

Am I asking too much? What would be the optimal design to have this serve two purpose?

Scenario: we have 3 kids that often go out with us. Out two girls sit in the second row and our oldest boy sits in the passenger side 3rd row.

Want: I would like to build some sort of drawer in the empty space where the driver’s side 3rd row would be. But we also go grocery shopping with the LX and would love to be able to have a sliding tray so that we could load up the grocery bags, then slide it back.

I’ve thought about building a traditional sliding drawer but have the top of the box on a hinge or even remove it so the sliding drawer can side out hold the groceries and slide it back in. The sides would hold the groceries securely. Then when we go out off-roading I can load the drawer up with gear and tools etc.

Am I asking too much? What would be the optimal design to have this serve two purpose?
For all that trouble, I would just add some L track to the floor, so you can secure totes properly for off roading, and then remover them leaving a perfectly functional grocery getter that way. I have slee drawers in my 80, but I leave everything in there. If I were using it as a people mover/grocery getter, i would remove them and just use my front runner soft boxes or plastic totes to sort my camping stuff. Adding more tie down rings or L track would allow you to have safe and versatile anchor points for gear.

You hinge idea is good too. I did something similar by removing my top plywood on my drawers, and that way I could top load. Just for one trip though to go pick up a bunch of supplies for my 18 wheeler. Also if you ever get(or already have) a fridge, a sliding platform would be nice. Simple is better, I have actually been lightening up my 80 series lately to simplify the setup.

For all that trouble, I would just add some L track to the floor, so you can secure totes properly for off roading, and then remover them leaving a perfectly functional grocery getter that way. I have slee drawers in my 80, but I leave everything in there. If I were using it as a people mover/grocery getter, i would remove them and just use my front runner soft boxes or plastic totes to sort my camping stuff. Adding more tie down rings or L track would allow you to have safe and versatile anchor points for gear.

You hinge idea is good too. I did something similar by removing my top plywood on my drawers, and that way I could top load. Just for one trip though to go pick up a bunch of supplies for my 18 wheeler. Also if you ever get(or already have) a fridge, a sliding platform would be nice. Simple is better, I have actually been lightening up my 80 series lately to simplify the setup.
thanks for the input

I would buy an ARB1045RDRF, this has a sliding top. Add some velcro on top and use some milk crates or similar to put the groceries in. When you are ready to travel remove them. See this thread post #169 for pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom