Looking for a 6 lug axle, spindles and future park-brake and electric brakes... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Man, I've scoured the internet and e-trailer is the only place I can find with a parking option but I want to get 6 lug hubs and spindles. I seem to come up with a #42 spindle and then miscellaneous hub set ups. I didn't find a source for the cables for the parking brakes. E-trailer has some poor reviews but I guess that is due to the volume of sales. I had thought of using old spindles off of an early fj40 drum brake but I think it would take more work than its worth. I had also thought of using mini truck drums and backing plates but I like the idea of having electric brakes on a trailer too.. This will all be for a heavy M416 build, extended tongue and heavier frame.

IMG_20160814_161358786.jpg
Pictures of my current status. The axle I have is a 6 lug with bolts, not studs on a 2x2 tube and is a bit rusty.

IMG_20160814_161414895.jpg

Redneck Trailer Supplies and other vendors can get you a Dexter axle built to your specs, including parking brake and electric brakes, probably under $500 depending on shipping and your location. Trailer brake cables on our M101 CDN are all stock hardware, so most parts stores should be able to help. Generally, this is more cost effective than buying parts separately to equip an existing axle.

Cool, thanks. I contacted one of my local parts suppliers and an electric brakes on a 3500lb axle, 6 lug hubs would be $380 +/-, no parking brake with the Dexter stuff they carry. The way it's split up to order the parts separately on the websites I've found doesnt make it easy.

Redneck Trailer Supplies and other vendors can get you a Dexter axle built to your specs, including parking brake and electric brakes, probably under $500 depending on shipping and your location. Trailer brake cables on our M101 CDN are all stock hardware, so most parts stores should be able to help. Generally, this is more cost effective than buying parts separately to equip an existing axle.

Going a similar route with my M416. Having Dexter build a 3500 lb axle with e-brakes and hand brake. They're not as flexible on the lug pattern though. I'll be using adapters to convert over to Toyota wheels.

It's been a few years since I priced one for our trailer and finances haven't yet permitted getting it ordered (3500 lb w/ electric brakes and hand brake option.) If a vendor can't offer you exactly what you want, they may be selling you out of their stock rather than special ordering it. Might be worth checking with another vendor to see what your options are.

It's also possible that Dexter no longer offers this option, but rather doubt that. Here's a link to the reference doc that covers the 3500 axles:
http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/600-8K_Catalog/2300-4000_Lbs.pdf
Page 13 (actual count, shows page 31 on page itself) shows the electric brake with parking brake option.

Might be worth calling Dexter directly to confirm what your options are and which vendors can deliver as you prefer.
Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Find a Dexter Distributor
Here's a link to Oregon Dexter dealers:
Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Oregon

Remember that changing or retrofitting brake components later will cost considerably more than ordering to spec on a complete axle.

ended up going with rockwell american parking brakes but they are chinese and the same as the ones being sold on e-bay. There was a vendor that was a mom& pop outfit.. the axle was dexter and I don't thing the brakes are really true, that's OK. It was pretty easy to source a a 6 slug 3500lb axle. I will get the width I wanted next time, I shortened it and had some alignment issues- too much toe in..

IMG_20161126_193554962.jpg

It's getting closer, needs lights and brake wiring and the parking brake. Looking to rig up a rigid cover too. No idea of weight but I would assume heavier than stock, the frame is much thicker steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom