Looking at this bike on CL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Hiya fellas,

I just test rode this bike: 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple Road Bicycle - 56 cm.

The thing rode great but what do I know, I'm coming from a '90s vintage Canondale thick alum tubing frame with upgraded components. What I didn't like about the test ride is that as I gained speed, the whole bike was oscillating forward/backward. So, I stopped and spun each wheel and both wheels are sort out of balance which made the bike move up and down. The wheels are true but the hops are pronounced. From what I read online, these rims are not that good and most switch them out for better rims. The seller said that he never felt anything.

I was surprised that I felt the bike move fore/aft as I picked up speed. I assume some of y'all have experienced this issue. Do you just put a counterweight around the spokes to counter the hop?

My wheels don't do this so I'm confounded.

Last edited:
Movement should be linear and smooth...
If it isn't.... move on...
There shouldn't be any fore/aft or oscillating feel to it...

I'd pass. Yes, those wheels aren't very good at all, especially if they already have hops in them.

Check Online Swap Meet page on FB. TONS of bikes available on there, and some killer deals if you have good timing. I've bought and sold plenty on that page (and others).

I'd pass. Yes, those wheels aren't very good at all, especially if they already have hops in them.

Check Online Swap Meet page on FB. TONS of bikes available on there, and some killer deals if you have good timing. I've bought and sold plenty on that page (and others).

Pass on the deal just because of the wheels? Why not just replace the wheels since they're entry level wheels anyway. The carbon frame is in great shape, no crashes and it shifted crisply. I'm torn.

You'll get a "hop" in a bike wheel that is radially out of true. This doesn't happen often and is normally a sign of a damaged rim. Lateral truing is normal but radial is not. A shop with a good tech can dial them in to a point, but you may not be able to totally eliminate the problem. I agree with my fellow mudders and, if you really like this bike, I encourage you to look for a wheelset you are comfortable with. Remember it's always a gamble buying someone else's used bike stuff, as you're currently experiencing.

Full disclosure I work in a busy shop and have a lot of experience building wheels and every type of repair. I'm usually relegated to building the 12k bikes and the wheel stuff.

Good luck on the hunt!

If you can get him to come down $150 or so for the wheels (or have it trued), then go ahead. Up to you if the frame/group are worth it.

You can get some older Ksyriums for about $175-250. It'll be a worthy upgrade.

I'm a really cheap SOB, so take that into consideration too.

The guy came down $100 and I bought it. I'm new to the world of Carbon so I've been studying it in the living room. It's currently sitting upside down on the coffee table. Yes, I'm single :flipoff2:

The local used sporting goods consignment store has five wheel sets and I'll start a new thread on them to see which set I should pick up. Wheel tech has come a long way and I'd like to pick up a set that'll compliment this bike w/o breaking the bank. I haven't had the time to go for a ride on this bike but hoping to do so this weekend.

I'll make an appt with the local bike fit guru to help me set this bike up. Hopefully this 56cm frame is the correct size for my 5'10", 32" inseam body. It does come with two stems but I think the shorter stem that's on their now should be fine.

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

P.s. - I've been courting this 53 yo hawtness who is into cycling and all that. So, when she invited me over this weekend, I had a chance to check out her riding gear. She has a set of Ksyriums wheel set for racing and something else for her training rides. Her roadie is a 2009 Felt. Looking forward to admiring her on the saddle :cool:

Last edited:
You'll get a "hop" in a bike wheel that is radially out of true. This doesn't happen often and is normally a sign of a damaged rim. Lateral truing is normal but radial is not. A shop with a good tech can dial them in to a point, but you may not be able to totally eliminate the problem. I agree with my fellow mudders and, if you really like this bike, I encourage you to look for a wheelset you are comfortable with. Remember it's always a gamble buying someone else's used bike stuff, as you're currently experiencing.

Full disclosure I work in a busy shop and have a lot of experience building wheels and every type of repair. I'm usually relegated to building the 12k bikes and the wheel stuff.

Good luck on the hunt!

I might be PM'ing with bunch of idiotic questions, so be forewarned! Anyway, I set the bike upside down and noticed that both wheels have the same heavy spot, with the valve stems in the 1 o'clock position. The wheels by no means are out of round that I can tell but there're definitely heavy spots. I'll take the tires off and repeat the exercise to see where the rims end up.

I might be PM'ing with bunch of idiotic questions, so be forewarned! Anyway, I set the bike upside down and noticed that both wheels have the same heavy spot, with the valve stems in the 1 o'clock position. The wheels by no means are out of round that I can tell but there're definitely heavy spots. I'll take the tires off and repeat the exercise to see where the rims end up.
Might be slime deposits that dried up in one spot. New tubes might fix it.....

This bike also has the Garmin Ant wireless dealio. I wonder if I need to get a dongle for my Android device or simply download an app to see if I can connect to the speed and cadence sensors.

Thanks for the link and I was wondering about something. I see that there are tons of apps that will connect to Ant devices using my Galaxy S9. So, am I to simply download an app for cycling, then connect to my Ant devices? It's that simple?

Guess I should look into getting a smartphone mount for the handlebar and a BT ear buds so that the phone no longer rides in the back pocket. I'm getting pulled into modern tech whether I want to or not it seems!

If you check out the Online Swap Meet page on FB, you can find a nicer wheelset on the cheap. I saw a couple older sets of Ksyrium and other similar sets for under $300. They might not be local to you, but shipping usually adds about $25-30. I've bought and sold plenty on that page with no problems.

Welcome to a new (another...) addiction. Try mountain biking next, it's more fun.

If you check out the Online Swap Meet page on FB, you can find a nicer wheelset on the cheap. I saw a couple older sets of Ksyrium and other similar sets for under $300. They might not be local to you, but shipping usually adds about $25-30. I've bought and sold plenty on that page with no problems.

Welcome to a new (another...) addiction. Try mountain biking next, it's more fun.

Ok, thanks for the heads up. My MTB needs to be upgraded to the modern age too. I'm dating a gal who has a real nice Stumpjumper 27.5 so I need to up my MTB game too. Seeeeshhhh, she's getting expensive......

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom