Looking at purchasing a 1st Gen 4runner. Need guidance (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After looking at more of the photos I see what you mean. 3Y engine? Haven't heard of that one. No engine shots in the photos.

It looks to be lifted, so that's a strike against IMO. Auto is also a minor negative.
For some reason they like to do these baby lifts on stuff over here. They don't really change anything structural as it has to be approved and verified to be able to be registered so mostly harmless.

The main issue I would have with a true import(meaning not an option available to the country it's imported to) is the parts availability. You might be waiting 4 weeks for a 3y engine component that is overnight supply for a 22re engine.

A lot of the vehicle is the same as say an '88 4runner sold in the west, but I cant say for sure something as simple as a starter isnt 4 weeks away and 10 hours of searching, plus paying 10x $ premium.

Daily driver? Nope. Garage queen? Yup.

While I could drive a RHD vehicle... the amount of times I turn left in a LHD world with line of site blocked by oncoming traffic. Not for me.

Just some food for thought.
Getting parts is always going to be rough with trucks this old. Good part is Im in Japan for a while so I can stock up and I know a bunch of people on the bases that could ship it to me once I move on.

And if its anything like my 75 series I have here, parts are cheaper and easier to find, so that part I am not worried to much about.

I remember back in 2000 or so my boss at the time drove a 1989 3.0 4runner that came from the factory with 32" wheels, 4.56 gears(i believe) and slight lift.
Wondering if something similar is going on in that SSR?
I sent out some questions to my guy about these and what options they may have. Not expecting much in return but we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom