Longfields, Marfields or Smurfields?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=4715;start=msg37829#msg37829 date=1062681555]
in short, the minitruck disc brake conversion. The aftermarket kits from SOR/MAF leave you with your same useless birfs and spindles, the minitruck replaced those with something stronger and that will take a Smurf'd birf.
[/quote]
What about a conversion using all the parts from a 76-newer disk brake axle?

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=4715;start=msg38026#msg38026 date=1062723642]
What about a conversion using all the parts from a 76-newer disk brake axle?
[/quote]

that "kinda" works...you are stuck with slightly weaker steering arms (smaller stud diameter, slightly smaller bolt pattern), much less aftermarket support for histeer (one source, IIRC), and the birfields from 76-78 are not the same as 79+, they are slightly longer and not as strong. BUT you do get discs that way AND you can easily use the 79+ birfs with only some minor grinding of the axle opening. (79+ are slightly thicker across the "flats" of the birf)

The minitruck offers all of that, plus Aisin hubs, better birfs, more histeer arm options, greater knuckle strength, and a relatively similar price. (unless you have a 76-78 axle laying around, as I did....I switched from 77 knuckles to minitruck during my hysteer install)

I've got two birfs boxed/ready for smurfing...in the "mail" tomorrow. Even came out pretty clean! ;)

:D
O.K. Travis, I'll take you up on the Smurfield. I appreciate the quick response and clarification you sent. Now I'll await the product! Thanks to all for the discussion.
I'll be real happy to be out and about with 4wd again! 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom