Long Range Tank For 60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=wildman4wheeler link=board=29;threadid=13093;start=msg161248#msg161248 date=1085150095]
still going to be a pita
[/quote]

dude come on man. If you put it on the roof its more of a pita. If you put it on a swingaway rear tire carrier its still going to be a pain to take down and put up and when the tire is under the truck i find that that is also a pain. Anywhere you put a tire its a pita.

now back to the original thread. long range tanks...

[quote author=tclndcrz link=board=29;threadid=13093;start=msg161257#msg161257 date=1085150562]
dude come on man. If you put it on the roof its more of a pita. If you put it on a swingaway rear tire carrier its still going to be a pain to take down and put up and when the tire is under the truck i find that that is also a pain. Anywhere you put a tire its a pita.

now back to the original thread. long range tanks...
[/quote]
sorrry your right and back to the tanks

I've got an Opposite Lock 70l tank which goes down the passenger side on a RHD. Interested in seeing one that goes down the passenger side on a LHD if there is such a thing.

The other option for extra fuel just for the big trips are fuel bladders used in boating. Flexible bladder, like a water bladder, sits across the floor behind the front seats. I've seen ads for capacities up to 200l - 44gallons. The tough covering can take kids putting their feet on them, and you can take the 'tank' out at the end of your trip and keep is safe for next time.

Couldn't handle the hassle of a rear wheel carrier as needed when replacing main rear tank, lifting full wheel onto roof rack damned difficult.

Tim

Can you get the Opposite Lock tanks in the US? If so, any idea of the cost? I think SOR used to carry them, but no longer does.

Cruzerman
Somewhere near Eugene, Oregon

I have the LongRanger tank from MAF too, same as PismoJim's. So far I'm impressed, range is pretty darn close to 900 miles if driving conservatively on the highway.
LongRanger tank (small).jpg

Cruzerman,

I bought my tank second hand - 70l Opposite Lock.

I think new in Australia it ran to over A$1500 which would be over US$1000. I would never have bought a new one, never at those prices.

Tim

Same here with the MAF Tank.

IMG_1295-vi.jpg

Now thats a load of fuel......

I built a tank after installing the opposite locke unit, slightly changed, but it s a pile of work and they charge me hard for the shearing and bending.

Really hard to be competative in this market, but I do like the design.

Gotta get me a water cooled tig welder, then you could do it for profit and build 10 at a time.

Rob

HZJ60 Guy said:
http://www.longrangeautomotive.com.au/

http://www.4wdworld.com.au/products/lra/index.htm

http://www.oppositelock.com/product.asp?Page=7&dxdeptid=6&cxcatid=47

You can actually get a 50 gallon main, and a 20 gallon aux tank for your 60. I plan on getting the 20 gallon aux tank later.

TB

Rob,

Hey me know if you decide to make a few....I would rather give you the money

Pretty sure I will not build another tank, it was just to costly on my end, but thanks for the props..

Rob

calfj60 said:
Rob,

Hey me know if you decide to make a few....I would rather give you the money

Rob,

That is what I keep hearing....:frown: :frown:

I have tried to buy the tank at Man it ain't free twice and they didn't have one in stock even though they said they did...drove out with cash in hand and left with cash in hand...still haven't gotten over that...guess I will have givem another chance since there is not any other option....

picture.JPG

Here is a pic of the Opposite Locke 50 gallon tank. And the full floater rear end too.

TB

I have a custom Long Range tank on my 60 and love it....I will post up some pics and all info I have on it.......it was custom made in Co. Springs.

There's a 70 litre on ebay Australia at the moment. Item 4617151778

Tim - who's already got one!

Tim,

I am sure shipping would kill that deal real quick...

From a Tim that does not have one :frown:

I agree.

It's available in South Australia, which although a neighbouring state to mine, is around 2500kms or a 4 day drive and would turn me off buying it, let alone someone from far away shores.

If you felt like a really nice holiday to Oz, bought a nice imported Cruiser from Japan whilst you were here, shippped it back to the states, THEN you could put the tank in the back for the sea journey back. That way shipping would be nil for the tank. Better get in quick on ebay tho. :)

Always helpful,
Tim

Hmmm.....I think the wife would go for the holiday in Austrlia but not for more cruisers....

long rang tank

thought i would just update the thread with my tank installation. a little while back i installed a 38 gal long rang tank form man-a-fre. my factory tank rusted while my rig sat for 5yrs on jack stands awaiting for me to rebuild the drivers side after a t-bone:crybaby:. the stock sending unit and tree are used with this tank. if yours are as rusted as mine was than i would recommend evap-o-rust. i can not say enough good things about it. soaked the part in it over night and it was bare metal in the morning.
you have to cut and extend the float arm and the tree. the neccessary parts and pieces come with the tank. if you have a welder and a ruler that is in mm's than its a :banana: job. the only thing that i would caution someone about is, the tubing on the top of the tree needs to be manipulated slightly so that they do not contact the tank. i put a little to much meat into it and cracked the pressure line. i didn't know that is was cracked until the install was done and i turned the key. i didn't realize it pumped at that much pressure either. also the sway bar mounts (to the frame) have to be removed to take out the old tank.
i don't have any pre-intall pics, just post pics. i like not having to fill-up as often. i hurts the pocket when i do but thats my choice. i hope this helps someone down the line.:beer:

OH! i forgot this one little thing. the forward 4 mount holes did not line up with the mount holes in the body from the factory tank:eek::mad::censor:. it took forever to elongate some of the holes so i could mount it (dremal):bang:. Man-it-ain't-free cost to much money for the mount holes not to line up and one of the bolts for the rear mount not have the right nut to tread on it.
Picture 012.jpg
Picture 034.jpg
Picture 035.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom