Livestock rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sethzilla

SILVER Star
Threads
After having my bullsh!t rack fall over and rip the flimsy P.O.S. gutter clamps off my drip rail while running the Rubicon, i decided it was time for something a little beefier. Here is the given-to-me-hunk-of-crap-rack as it was on my 80;
IMG_1462_zpsa32a628c.jpg

It was too small for what i wanted, not built with tube(it was black pipe!:doh:) had mismatched corners/bends, extra bits welded on by a caveman, you get the idea.

Decided on a couple of different things i wanted my new rack to have;
-Full length/width of roof ( it will be used for a elevated platform in addition to carrying extra stuff that won't fit in the rear cargo area ie; folding camp table, chairs, EZ-up, chainsaw, ect, see pic above)
- full array of LED lights; 42" lightbar across front, 4" LED flood on corners, 3"LED camp lights.
- basket about 5" tall with cool dimple die holes for gusseting/places to tie down equipment
-Mounting tabs for limb risers
-ladder up 1 side from the rear bumper wing
-wire rack floor for securing more equipment/place to stand on
-Tabs and plates for radio/cb antennas and flag mounts for the dunes
-heavy duty gutter clamps ( no more flimsy sheetmetal ones :mad:)
-built from 1.25" .120 wall (Thick enough to be able to slide the rack against trees/rocks if the need arises while keeping the glass windows and sheet metal off them) Here is one of those places on the Rubicon Trail - rock on right pitches your DS into tree on left.
IMG_1698_zpsc41a297d.jpg

So i figured i'd get my friend with a tubing bender to bend up some corners and let me fab the rest. Then the wife got wind of the whole thing and said, "we need to save $$ for the house projects!"
:bang:
I guess this will have to wait a while.

In the meantime, i remember that when we bought our new house they previous owners had left some dog run panels, livestock pen and corral pieces, and gates on the property. . . . :idea:
corral_zpsc3caca41.jpg

I found a horse corral section that was 50" wide by 98" long. Problem was that 2 of the bars look like a donkey/horse/steer had decided to try and bust through:eek:
So i pulled it out of the pile, placed it on my driveway with the bends up and drove over it a few times:D it's kinda straight-ish now just has a twist from end-to-end;) Sorry no pics of MY tubing bender.

I had recently bought some heavy duty roof rack gutter clamps from a fellow Mudder when i saw his build thread i knew these would be the ones for me!

I bolted them up and threw the section of corral on top!
corral-rack_zps5d2674bc.jpg
(i had to use a ratcheting strap to get the bent corral to make contact with the clamps)

Here is what it looked like from the sides
corral-rack2_zps95c1d4fc.jpg

corral-rack3_zpsc43d9a32.jpg

corral-rack4_zpsa56eebd4.jpg

corral-rack1_zps0446fc6c.jpg

I threw some wire shelving racks i had kicking around on top and welded it all up. Quick shot of black paint and she's done!
corral-rack5_zps96bab6ae.jpg

Just in time for Pismo Beach Huckfest 2013! I run the traffic light safety system so the competitors know it's safe to come up the face of the jump. Having the rack to stand on gives me a much better view of the approach and landing zone.
Last years Huckfest video
Here it is in main camp before we hit the competition area.
IMG950377_zps3f8133b6.jpg

And here is a shot of one of the competitors taking off as he passes my 80. The side of my rig has some sponsors banners on it, but you can see 3 adults sitting on my livestock rack. At one point there were 5 video/cameramen up there!:grinpimp: I guess that will work for now.
1966-ford-f100-huckfest-off-road-action-1-700x399_zpsc7480ef7.jpg

It's still a little too narrow, and a little too long. I'll fix that when i have the $$ and the :princess: okays it!

Looks like you have a fence gate on the top of your truck.

Looks like you have a fence gate on the top of your truck.

Not sure if you caught the name of this thread. . . . .:rolleyes:

It's a temporary fix for a much better built rack in the future. The cross bars need to be from side to side. That being said; 5 adults standing on it at one time showed it bending a little in the middle but not permanently. :D

This will do for now.

Pretty HD man. Way to improvise!

If you need good gutter clamps the DiamondRax ones are pretty stout. Welded steel box design with a load spreading plate and heavy SS bolts.

5940030437_3b881c6a4d_z.jpg

I do like DiamondRax but these are what i went with - sonsabitches are 1/4" thick!!!
image-4097018252_zps5827dd35.jpg
[/IMG]

fellow Mudder by the name WorkingClass. i linked to his thread using these in a post above. (On the bottom of post#1) Send him a PM about gutter clamps if you want some.

Thanks for the link. Will look into these. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom