Lithium Batteries Stored In Vehicle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry, tried to post this in both the General & Electronics Forums, but I "do not have sufficient privilages".

Anyways... I want to keep lithium batteries in my vehicle for two reasons.

One would be a portable charger pack, you know for phones, etc., in emergencies.

The other scenario would be in my Surefire flashlights.

But I've already experienced my Surefire's batteries dying without every being used. I assume this is because of the high heat that they experience sitting in a car in the California heat during the summers.
Do you think that it's just the high heat during the summer months, or could it also be the extreme temperature fluctuations that occur day in day out?

Bottom line I guess is: Can I store lithium batteries in my vehicle permanently for emergency purposes? Or am I just flushing money down the toilet by keeping them in my vehicle.

And no, I'm not gonna tote them with me to and from the car every time I go somewhere. That would ultimately defeat the purpose of having them in the car at all times in case of emergency.

Finally, do alkaline (or other types suitable for the same applications) batteries suffer from the same performance degradation upon being stored in a vehicle in high temps?

Thanks!

I just went to a website called "batteryuniversity" and read up a little bit. Heat pretty much wreaks havoc on ANY kind of battery.

So what do you hardcore off-road and overland guys do? Rely on auto batteries? Solar? Other?

I'm gonna go ahead and buy the lithium charger pack for $15 and see what happens over the next year. If it lasts that long and still gives my phones a full charge, then it seems like a fair trade off on an annual basis.

I am not a hardcore anything but I put my recharge pack in my bag when I leave the car. If its on a hike then I might as well have it with me and if it is at work then I figure it cant hurt either. Is there any reason to leave it in your car? While you are in there you could just charge it normally.

I have 2nd battery in my 80 with solar panel and a host of connectors for charging ,powering 110v inverter and running fridge. Plan do do same setup in my 100.

I am not a hardcore anything but I put my recharge pack in my bag when I leave the car. If its on a hike then I might as well have it with me and if it is at work then I figure it cant hurt either. Is there any reason to leave it in your car? While you are in there you could just charge it normally.

Yes... so it's ALWAYS there. No room for forgetting etc.

Obviously leaving any batteries in there is not ideal. But I'd like to have a flashlight in there without worrying whether or not it's gonna work in an emergency.

I guess I'll just have to check them regularly.

Additional lead battery + solar install sounds good but a little out of the budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom