Line lock

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by AlaskanWheeler, Jun 24, 2005.

1. AlaskanWheeler

AlaskanWheeler SILVER Star

How many people are running a line lock for there parking brake? How well does it hold? Any opinions?
    Thanks

2. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

I think TLCA will not pass it on a tech. inspection FWIW, I asked a while ago, It sounds like a good alternative to the T-case Parking brake, I have a leaky rear output...I suppose I just need to get it fixed?!? :rolleyes:
    Good luck

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  3. Felix

Felix

My 40 had a line lock when I bought it. It doesn't seem to catch if I flip the switch too quickly, but when it holds, it holds pretty well.

In fact, it wasn't functional until last weekend when I rebuilt the rear brakes. Until then, I don't think I had any rear brakes. Well, after everything was all together and bled, I tried to drive it, and it would barely move. Took all it's power to move it 3 feet. The guy that was helping me (doing most of it while I watched) saw the frustrated look on my face and asked, "are you sure up is off on that line lock?" :doh: I'd been driving around with no rear brakes and my line lock on for 4 months. :eek:

Long story short: holds pretty good. Sucks that TLCA won't pass it at an event, though. Guess I'll add that to my repair list.

4. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=119129&postcount=34

I run a line lock on my rig, no other parking brake setups. I will be working on another "mechanical" parking-brake method for those TLCA events that will not pass the line lock.

a "parking" brake is activated when the vehicle is already stopped....a bar thru a driveshaft yoke will hold the vehicle and stall the motor....

the lever/cable "standard" everyone is envisioning is an emergency brake and is designed to stop a moving vehicle should the primary braking circuit fail - it doubles as a parking brake. It is COMPLETELY different than an exclusive parking brake, where the vehicle is already stopped, and you are only adding an additional mechanical method of preventing the vehicle from moving.

Also, it's only required to pass tech (no matter how inconvenient it may be to activate)

5. 71-CRUISER

71-CRUISER

Media:
    I have a Mico mechanical line lock on my 40 with nothing else. It is on the rear circuit only and it will hold as long as the lever is on.

As far as TLCA events GSMTR allowed them this year but I dont know how the west coast looks at them as far as parking breaks.

6. mallred

mallred

I have a line lock coming for my fj40, which axel is prefferred I am thinking frony fight now with all it weight it may want to stay put a little better while winching out some one ?

Myrle

7. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    mine is line-locked in the rear, since I can set the dana 300 t-case to front-wheel-only, lock the rear, and use it to "spin" around obstacles....

in 4wd, locking even a single wheel will effectively lock them all as the load transfers thru the drivetrain...IMO, since the rear axle is stronger than the front (no birfs), I'd install it on the rear....

8. theo

theo

Note to all: you want "down is off" on a line lock so gravity can't accidentally engage it for you. At least that was our reasoning when we installed them on dump trucks and crane trucks in one of my other lives.

9. AlaskanWheeler

AlaskanWheeler SILVER Star

I don't think I'll be running any TLCA event any time soon, or ever. I just want a temporary hold. I never use my e-brake anyway, in fact it hasn't been functional for the 6 years I've owned the rig.
    Thanks for the advise

10. mallred

mallred

Thanks Brain, This makes a lot of sense include the hubs and small shaft on the front output of the TC the rears make the most sense.

11. coolcruiserfj40

coolcruiserfj40

ive got a manual mico lock and all ive ever heard is not to leave them lon for more then 24 hours

12. FJ40onNOS

FJ40onNOS

and why is that?

13. mallred

mallred

No idea we used to leave them on for weeks at a time when I was younger.

There is a chance of leakdown if yoy have bad wheel cylinders.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.