Lightest 32" Wheel/Tire Combo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been wondering lately what is the lightest ~32-33 inch wheel and tire combination you can come up with?
My current set up is 285/70-17 General Grabber A/TX load range E on 5th gen 4Runner SR5 wheels (17x7 +15). Based on research (not measured) this comes in at:
Tire: 59 lb; Wheel: 29 lb; Total: 88 lb.

The stock set up is a 265/65-17 whatever kind of tire in standard load range (?) on stock wheels (17x7.5 +25). Based on research (not measured) this comes in at:
Tire: ~37 lb; Wheel: ?? lb; Total: ?? lb.

The lightest set up I could come up with is 255/75-17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 load rage C on Sparco Dakar wheels (17x7.5 +24). Based on research (not measured):
Tire: 40lb; Wheel: 26 lb; Total: 66 lb.

This light set up I cam up with is a staggering 22 lb lighter per corner, and this isn't just the weight saving you can expect going from E to C tires. There are plenty of 55+ lb C tires out there.
The way I see it there are three main reasons to want the lightest tire possible; total vehicle weight, fuel economy (every little bit helps), and unsprung mass. Total vehicle weight is pretty obvious, if you reduce the weight of your tire you reap those reward 5x on the entire vehicle weight. In my case, the 110 lb I would save is about the weight of an offroad bumper, or 17ish gallons of fuel. Either of which I would much rather have than than heavy tires. Although fuel economy is effected by tire diameter, I would reckon its more effected by tire weight. Although the larger diameter reduces effective torque, that loss is the same at all speeds. The energy input required to change the rotational speed of the tire is proportional to your speed and can be much more significant. This also has the same effect on braking. Lastly is unsprung mass, which is another energy based momentum hootenanny. The suspension has to arrest the upward momentum of the tire when you hit a pot hole, or drive over wash boarded roads or something. The lighter the tire, the less energy the suspension has to absorb, and the greater the ability of the chassis/body's own momentum to keep the tire on the ground.

TLDR: Light good. Heavy bad. What's the lightest 33 inch wheel and tire combo you can come up with?

Titan 7 T-AK1 are 20.6 lbs each as per the manufacturer. There seem to be a few other options around 20 lbs, or if you want to go nuts you could get a magnesium set made to get down to around 15-16 lbs. I think you're close to the lightest tire you're gonna find.

Claims to be 18.9 pounds for a 17x8.5. I haven't weighted them, but they are very light. I've been running them for a few years and have been pretty happy with them. I have a 35/10.5/17 on them so total weight is up there.

Yeah, those are defiantly some good wheel options. I had not yet been considering them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom