1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaky T-Case? Maybe

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Frank The Tank, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Frank The Tank

Frank The Tank

I have a '76 Fj40 stock motor and drivetrain, it is stored in my garage. Occasionally there is a pool of oil underneath where the t-case is. The thing that is weird is that it is very intermiitent. It went 4 months, there was nothing. Then there was a puddle overnight, not just a little stain that bled out, like a standing puddle maybe 5 in dia. Then it goes for a long time with no leaks. Well the other day it happened again, but the weird thing is the oil looked to have anti freeze in (greenish stuff that was seperated from the oil). What could be the deal? Thanx.

2. ArmyFJ

ArmyFJ

I was kind of having a similar problem. I had some coolant under my transmission. It looks like it may have been coming from the rear freeze plugs. I got some help with pics from guys on this board. They also mentioned the rear heater. That heater is probably right about your t-case. You may check there. Here is the link to my thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=139562

Matthew

3. Herb

Herb

Whatever drips out of that area can be pooled up on the skid plate, then when it overflows, you get an big puddle...instead of the weeks of small drips that it took to make that puddle.