Coolant Leaking from Tranny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ArmyFJ

Lookin’ for mud in all the wrong places.
GOLD Star
Threads
Well I am have been trying to find how my coolant is leaking from my tranny but I cannot figure it out. The coolant level is dropping from the radiator (slowly). And I am seeing it drip out from where my tranny oil usually leaks and it is still bright green. Any ideas how it is getting there? I don’t see it leaking on top of the tranny or around the sides but I really cannot figure it out. I have and SM465 with a TPI 350.

Matthew

Do you have a rear heater? If you do it's probably developed a leak in the hose or heater core.

Kevin

Hey Matthew,

Making a guess here, but if the leak is coming from the bellhousing area or some place close to that it might be a freeze plug leaking back there?

Just a thought,

Jeff

Freeze plug, or head crack leaking down into the bell housing.

Well I have looked behind the engine and its a little wet on the drivers side between the valve cover and the head but not really so much between the head and the block. I am wondering if its just in a place I cannot see above the bell housing. And now it looks like the rear main might be leaking too. Is there a freeze plug between the bell housing and the block? Fun. Perhaps a rebuild is in order. Thanks for the help guys.

Matthew

There are two freezeplugs on the firewall side of the engine. One on the block and one on the back of the head. You can just barely see the boss on the head for that freezeplug.

GL

Ed
Swapin'motors 016.jpg

My suggestion would be to get some of that UV die, from napa and the light and tip that into the coolant system and run it for a bit and see where it starts to glow from.

Just my .02 cents

Thanks for the UV idea. I like that. I will try that here in the future. Ed. Mine is a Chevy 350. I see you have a Toyota engine. Is it set up with freeze plugs similarly?

Matthew

Thanks for the UV idea. I like that. I will try that here in the future. Ed. Mine is a Chevy 350. I see you have a Toyota engine. Is it set up with freeze plugs similarly?

Matthew

:doh: Oh s***, my bad. No, I don't thing there are freeze plugs on the firewall side of a SBC, but then again, I have no idea.:eek:

Ed

Small block Chev has 2 freeze plugs (and galley and cam plugs) behind the bellhousing.

Thanks. Are they easy to do and can you change a rear main with the engine in the vehicle? I was thinking I could pull the tranny w/ bell housing and the t case and get too it from behind. Or is that just asking for trouble?

Matthew

Freeze plugs are pretty easy if you have good access to them - knock the edge with a blunt tool to turn them in the hole, pull or pry out, clean up the hole, spread some liquid sealer on, and drive new plug in straight. New freeze plugs sometimes "weep" for a few miles, then "rust up" and seal.

The cam and galley plugs are harder - the cam plug sits right near the end of the cam so it won't turn sideways in the hole. The oil galley plugs are only 1/2" diameter; if they're pressed in they're a bugger too. Sometimes they are threaded for NPT.

The rear main seal is 1-piece that is held in place by a retaining plate with 4 or so bolts. I can't remember for sure, but I think it is a piece of cake with the tranny out.

Replace the throwout bearing while you're in there. HTH

I just realized if your block is older than 1986 you'll probably have a 2-piece rear main seal. Different procedure altogether. Drop the pan, remove rear main cap, rotate upper seal half out, etc.

I read 350 TPI and assumed it was a later engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom