Leaking fuel tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Problem developed while i was on a road trip. When i fill it all the way up the tank leaks like a sieve, but only when i top it off. It was in the shop today for some other work, they replaced some hose but i found out that wasn't it when i filled up tonight. Any thoughts?

Remove inspection plate (from inside the vehicle) and check the top of the tank area that is visible (fuel pump access area). Worst case, drain and then drop the tank.

If it is leaking like a sieve then you obviously have a dangerous situation that needs to be remedied immediately

cheers,
george.

Mine leaked at the seam when filled up , that was before I replaced the vapor canister . I replaced it with OEM tank. ajik has an OEM tank used .

My filler tube was leaking at a weld to a bracket. Leaked when filled/topped. Removed enogh to cut out bad spot. Bought Gates gas filler h hose (1 7/8"?) used that to go over the whole section of the tube.

image.jpg
A few folks have developed a crack in te groove recessed for ebrake cable and the step down at front of tank. I hope that's not it cause I've yet to find the cure

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/leaking-gas-from-top-of-tank.225705/

I had the same problem with what I thought was my tank so I sourced a new one. Turned out to be the filler neck had developed a small crack. It only leaked when full. I replaced the neck and now no problem. The neck it a weird size. I had to get it from cdan. I would check that first.
If you do need a tank, I have the one I ended up not using. I would send it your way for shipping plus the cost of a case of beer.
I was able to diagnose when I finally got under he car while it was filling up. So you'd need to be comfortable that you'll spill a bit of gas.

The first time i saw the problem and last night when i filled it up i noticed it leaked from a 2nd spot approximately mid way up the car, drivers side. That leak was far less severe than the tank. Did any of you guys have that secondary leak?

Yeah I think mine leaked onto the top of the tank and then everywhere there after.

Please find the answer to this and resolve It. I have seen the tragic end result of a situation similar to this. Gasoline Is unforgiving. Good Luck. !

Looks like it was one of the other hoses. Mechanic found a hairline crack. We'll see when i top it off tonight. Thanks for all the input.

View attachment 1069705 A few folks have developed a crack in te groove recessed for ebrake cable and the step down at front of tank. I hope that's not it cause I've yet to find the cure

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/leaking-gas-from-top-of-tank.225705/

Have seen several of these fail in this same spot. Professional repairs are more expensive than a good used tank, so have swapped tanks on all of them so far. Stress fracture on a compound curve that may be thin from the manufacturing process is the best guestamation so far. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom