LBC GXOR - Storage Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone, I undertook the daunting task of building a custom storage solution for the back compartment. WOW. At first I thought that the prebuilt or predesigned units out there were way expensive. Now I understand why. Its a lot of work!

I took inspiration for the various vendors out there including Goose Gear, Land Shark, and Trek Boxx.

To start off the 3rd row seats came out and a plywood platform was installed. If I were to do this again, I'd go with thicker plywood, I used 1/2 baltic birch, 3/4" would help prevent deflection. I sprayed the plywood with a few coats of truck bed liner. Installed an aluminum angle at the exposed edge to take the abuse of moving gear in and out.

IMG_20200606_192237.jpg

IMG_20200918_133059.jpg

As you can see, its easy to max out the storage in the back.

I always liked the idea of the overhead shelf, but couldn't come to terms with spending a lot of money on it. So I stopped by Lowes and bought a wire closet shelf and tied it to the rear window molle panels. It sags a little in the middle, but works great!

IMG_20200912_132217.jpg

Next up was to build the refrigerator slide. I like the idea of the nesting slides to add more table space. I ended up buying some super heavy duty locking slides from Amazon. and figured out a way to nest them using the stock holes. The aluminum extrusions provide the structure and framework.
IMG_20201127_113333.jpg

IMG_20201127_113347.jpg

IMG_20201128_154445.jpg

IMG_20201128_154801.jpg

The next step was to tie the 2 slides together and make a base for the refrigerator to sit on. I cut some holes in the base, thinking I'd be saving weight, although only a few ounces, ha!

IMG_20210110_140532.jpg

IMG_20210110_142215.jpg

IMG_20210110_142259.jpg

Wow it fits! And doesn't fall out!

Impressive work! Do you plan to build a surround over the fridge so you can add some storage above it? From your first pic it looks like you could use it!

Also, when creating your baseplate, how did you measure out all those cuts? Did you source a template from somewhere? And with the baseplate, did you add supports underneath like there are on the goosegear version?

Impressive work! Do you plan to build a surround over the fridge so you can add some storage above it? From your first pic it looks like you could use it!

Also, when creating your baseplate, how did you measure out all those cuts? Did you source a template from somewhere? And with the baseplate, did you add supports underneath like there are on the goosegear version?
Yes, I'll post more on the progress.....

To tell you the truth, I don't remember if I put supports under the plywood or not. Once I through bolted the aluminum extrusions on all the flex went away. It might only be supported by the front and the hump towards the 2nd row seats. And I did use the factory bolt locations to secure it.

As XY mentioned a surround over the fridge would be helpful.

I continued with the aluminum extrusions and infilled with a 3/4" playwood panel that is screwed to 6 clips that are on the aluminum frame.

IMG_20210307_103052.jpg

Next up were the drawers. This was really inspired by the Land Shark drawers. I like that they didn't use drawer slides. The slides are expensive and also take up space. I found some UHMW Polyethylene bars and strips and used those as the runners. The wood drawers slide perfectly on them.

IMG_20210307_140201.jpg

IMG_20210314_105423.jpg

And then I was thinking... what if we get the jerry can in there too. I'm able to fit 2
jerry cans deep. A standard amazon one, and the Life Saver one. Word.
IMG_20210314_105508.jpg

IMG_20210516_155044.jpg

Cut some drawer faces out of 3/4" baltic birch plywood and we'll all set!

IMG_20210522_100144.jpg

:clap: Nicely done. Although that gap under the fridge bothers me. Surely there is something you can fit under there? :)

I guess you can remove and throw away your inside rear view mirror!:p

:clap: Nicely done. Although that gap under the fridge bothers me. Surely there is something you can fit under there? :)
Ha, you're onto me. I've nested a set of slides for another pullout beneath the fridge. My goal is for this to be a shallow tray and worksurface.

Next up was to build the refrigerator slide. I like the idea of the nesting slides to add more table space. I ended up buying some super heavy duty locking slides from Amazon. and figured out a way to nest them using the stock holes. The aluminum extrusions provide the structure and framework.
How did you end up nesting the two slides with the angle bar? A bolt & nut looks like it'll cause interference between the two slides
I'm building a similar set up for my 470 and was just going to use plywood between them but this would save some width...

How did you end up nesting the two slides with the angle bar? A bolt & nut looks like it'll cause interference between the two slides
I'm building a similar set up for my 470 and was just going to use plywood between them but this would save some width...
There are factory holes along each side of the slide. Coincidentally some of the holes for each slide line up. I was able to use those with a button head screw and t-slot nut with loctite to attached the 2 slides together. I was ready to drill some holes, but ended up not needing to.

Here is a screenshot of one of my orders from McMaster-Carr, the screw and nut are circled.

1624567638596.png

Gotta love McMaster-Carr and Tee Slot extrusions and fasteners!
Albeit, McMaster-Carr is not the cheapest, but I can get next day delivery down here in So. Cal like Amazon.
15 plus years ago or so, use to get same day delivery if ordered before 10:00am.

Man, that looks great. I need a platform like that in my life. The 3rd row is useless and dead weight for our family, but I won't spend the money on GooseGear.

The whole build is very sharp. Nice work!

What do you figure you paid for fridge slide parts?
Thanks!

I probably paid about what you would for a pre-made refrigerator slide, maybe a little more. Doh!
The one advantage is that I was able to size it exactly to the fridge and have it integral to the frame system.

Ha, you're onto me. I've nested a set of slides for another pullout beneath the fridge. My goal is for this to be a shallow tray and worksurface.
If you do a slide-out tray, you can strap a bow-saw, hatchet and anything else low profile to it.

If you do a slide-out tray, you can strap a bow-saw, hatchet and anything else low profile to it.
I did complete the nested slide as a work surface. Under that I have my step stool and small camp table in the little void.

The step stool is a frequent go-to, it's easy to access. I like the idea of having the slimline tools strapped to it tho. That is for the idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom